GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
A guy I think the Habs should look at is RW Daniel Sprong. I think you can have him on a 1-2 year deal for not that much just to add a little scoring to the middle six.
Already played on 5 teams and he is 27. Obviously whatever the coaches thought they could teach him didn't materialize. Some players are just one dimensional.

Barron has very little value.
Yeah I know this 22 year old who hasn't played 100 NHL games is clearly a bust. Just waive him during camp.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Already played on 5 teams and he is 27. Obviously whatever the coaches thought they could teach him didn't materialize. Some players are just one dimensional.

Yeah I know this 22 year old who hasn't played 100 NHL games is clearly a bust. Just waive him during camp.
Lol, yeah I know Sprong lives out of a suitcase but that is why you can get him for short term and a low AAV, but he could score close to 20. This is not a signing to do anything other than adding some offense, that is all, this is not a long term addition to the team.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Lol, yeah I know Sprong lives out of a suitcase but that is why you can get him for short term and a low AAV, but he could score close to 20. This is not a signing to do anything other than adding some offense, that is all, this is not a long term addition to the team.
Score one, cause one is the reason he doesn't stick. He has never been committed to playing a 200 foot game

Reactions: yianik

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I am starting to think that the UFA concept is not smart. It is critical that you draft and develop and also make smart trades.
Someone help me find a UFA signing in the last 20 years that made it to end of the contract and was deemed a huge success....

I think having a respected Russian veteran on the roster would be huge for Demidov.
Hossa, Hamrlik, Cammaleri, Gionta, Niedermeyer, Chara, Steven's, Pietrangelo, Francis, Pavelski, Burns, Danault, Strome, Hyman, Rodriguez, Perry, Verhaghe, like there's so many.

Reactions: Vachon23

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Godin brought up how the teams around the Habs got better and Basu is full of cope.

Saying well the Habs could add Anderson and Gallagher comparing them to player who got 20 goals, or averaged .5 points per game.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Radulov was great with us. Erik Cole too. Michael Ryder. Theres a couple more just here.
Yes, exactly. Kovalchuk too even if short. Chiarot, Toffoli, Savard and even if I hated him, Edmundson all provided value and were good signings.

It's just a general false dillema to create that UFAs are all bad contracts. Guys like Carrier, Pesce, Bertuzzi, Roy, etc were cheap this year, there was a bunch of very stupid signings and a bunch of very good ones. Bad teams are bad at signing UFAs (either they over pay for the wrong player (Leafs) or don't sign them (us)) and good teams get good value on their signings (Canes, etc.)

Reactions: Vachon23

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Radulov was great with us. Erik Cole too. Michael Ryder. Theres a couple more just here.
Radulov played one year. It was a show me deal. He showed them and left.

Erik Cole was great one year and garbage the next. They traded him for a declining Ryder.

Michael Ryder wasn’t a UFA signing.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Godin brought up how the teams around the Habs got better and Basu is full of cope.

Saying well the Habs could add Anderson and Gallagher comparing them to player who got 20 goals, or averaged .5 points per game.
Gallagher had 16 goals in 77 games last season, most of his production was with Newhook toward the end of the season. So pair him with Newhook from the start.
And without Anderson preferably.
;)

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Even w Tarasenko’s preference of staying in Fla, he’s a player that makes too much sense for Habs given Demigod potentially even joining the org as early as this season

So a calculated overpayment on a 2-year deal, might be worth it
Nothing wrong with giving him 3.

Or 4, without the overpayment.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

1719936448396.png

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
But they want to go to Boston and Edmonton and Colombus? That's a lame excuse.
Of course, a player would likely want to go to Edmonton/Boston instead. Why wouldn't a player sign with the Stanley Cup finalist and consistent playoff team instead of a team that's been bottom 5 for 3 years in a row? There's zero chance I'm giving Monahan a 5 year deal or Toffoli a 6 year deal so naturally they will go to a team that overpays them in salary and/or term. Seems like we were close to signing Marchessault to a Giroux-like contract, but you can't blame him for signing with the Preds for more term while being on a playoff team that improved significantly.

The only bad thing so far is not signing someone for the bottom 6 to bring size/toughness/PK abilities. There is still time to address that, but it's a bad miss not to resolve that with just cap space.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Of course, a player would likely want to go to Edmonton/Boston instead. Why wouldn't a player sign with the Stanley Cup finalist and consistent playoff team instead of a team that's been bottom 5 for 3 years in a row? There's zero chance I'm giving Monahan a 5 year deal or Toffoli a 6 year deal so naturally they will go to a team that overpays them in salary and/or term. Seems like we were close to signing Marchessault to a Giroux-like contract, but you can't blame him for signing with the Preds for more term while being on a playoff team that improved significantly.

The only bad thing so far is not signing someone for the bottom 6 to bring size/toughness/PK abilities. There is still time to address that, but it's a bad miss not to resolve that with just cap space.
Why did Bertuzzi just sign a fair deal with a team that just compiled the worst record in the past 3 years? It's a lame excuse. We have talent, we have future, maybe HuGos pitch is just weak. Maybe he actually plans to go for a 4th tank year. I think its wrong anyway.

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Why did Bertuzzi just sign a fair deal with a team that just compiled the worst record in the past 3 years? It's a lame excuse. We have talent, we have future, maybe HuGos pitch is just weak. Maybe he actually plans to go for a 4th tank year. I think its wrong anyway.
CHI has nobody that is pushing to get into the top6, MTL has to be mindful of Roy, Newhook, Demidov and Hage.

Very different situation. MTL is ahead of CHI in it's rebuild and must do calculated move to ensure that the roster is not block by bad players and contract when its window open.

I fully expect UFA2025 to be active for MTL if the team can show progress (compete for the playoff) next season.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Basu is such a f***ing teteux de cul.

We are either the worse or 2nd worse team in the league depending on Carlsson, Mac and Mintyukov and others progression and our guys progression.

Also depending if we get injuries again, probably one or two injury from a 20 win season again. It must be agonizing to see from Suzuki, Guhle, Cole, slaf POV.

CHI has nobody that is pushing to get into the top6, MTL has to be mindful of Roy, Newhook, Demidov and Hage.

Very different situation. MTL is ahead of CHI in it's rebuild and must do calculated move to ensure that the roster is not block by bad players and contract when its window open.

I fully expect UFA2025 to be active for MTL if the team can show progress (compete for the playoff) next season.
Cope again. Moore, Nazar, Reichel, Dach? They literally have kids pushing all.over.

Anyway it's not even the top 6 that needs to be addressed, it's the bottom 6

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I'm still holding out hope that we can land a Top 6 veteran to play this season in our Top 6 with Suzuki, Dach, Caufield, Newhook and Slafkovsky. I think a skilled vet could bring a lot to this young group of skilled players.

Our bottom six will probably be constructed of Dvorak and Evans at C, with some combination of Roy, Anderson, Gallagher, Armia, RHP/Pezzetta/ABB on the wings. It is indeed meh overall, but I think we need to let some of these contracts run out one more year before we can address anything major in the bottom six.

Without that Top 6 piece, I think we may not be positioning our second line for success this year. With a functioning second line, I think we may be able to sniff at a wildcard spot this year as our young team grows together and mature. Without that piece, I think we're looking almost certainly at another Top 10 pick next June.

Reactions: Archijerej

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad