GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I posted this offer on the main boards and Winnipeg fans were pretty receptive.

To Winnipeg: Justin Barron, Bogdan Konyushkov, 2025 1st round pick (Calgary), 3rd round pick 2025 (Vancouver)

To Montreal: Rutger McGroarty

Jets get a guy they can play on their bottom pair right away for cheap, a potential top 4 in Konyushkov, a 1st and a late 3rd.

Habs pick up a big talented forward that’s further along in his development and fits in perfectly with the age and play style of the current core group, without giving up a significant prospect.

Potentially in a couple of years:

Demidov - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Caufield - Dach - McGroarty
Roy - Beck - Hage
Tuch - Xhekaj - Anderson

Guhle - Reinbacher
Hutson - ______
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Fowler
Dobes
Ooof and...
..... What else ?

Reactions: Deebs

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
And yet, that super simple tax structure is exploited every year.

Either play as a fair system or don’t pretend it is

I literally said it's the opposite of simple.

The cap system was not designed with "fairness" as the primary motive. The key term the nhl was using during that year long lockout was "cost certainty", and they got it via salary cap and escrow.

If "fair" is supposed to mean equal conditions for every market, that's a bone you will be chasing for eternity. It's never been "fair" in the cap era or the pre cap era.

Build through the draft like every multi cup winner in the post cap era, and make good management decisions. That's how you succeed no matter what market you are in.

Beendair Donedat

Don’t be a Jimmy Juice Arse
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Ooof and...
..... What else ?
Barron isn’t much more than a bottom 6 defender, Bogdan could be decent but may or may not pan out, the 1st is likely around the 20-25 spot and the third will in all probability be at the very end of the round.

McGroarty is a big forward with a great touch. He’s a solid leader who plays a physical two way game. He’s a natural goal scorer, and is a guaranteed NHLer. One of the guys that will get you through the playoff wars and be productive along the way. That counts for a lot, and I value that accordingly. I think he’s a perfect fit in our future core top 6 group of forwards.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
I posted this offer on the main boards and Winnipeg fans were pretty receptive.

To Winnipeg: Justin Barron, Bogdan Konyushkov, 2025 1st round pick (Calgary), 3rd round pick 2025 (Vancouver)

To Montreal: Rutger McGroarty

Jets get a guy they can play on their bottom pair right away for cheap, a potential top 4 in Konyushkov, a 1st and a late 3rd.

Habs pick up a big talented forward that’s further along in his development and fits in perfectly with the age and play style of the current core group, without giving up a significant prospect.

Potentially in a couple of years:

Demidov - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Caufield - Dach - McGroarty
Roy - Beck - Hage
Tuch - Xhekaj - Anderson

Guhle - Reinbacher
Hutson - ______
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Fowler
Dobes
Sign me up

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I made a spreadsheet this morning of all the available ufa's who played in the NHL this past season.

Of the 249 players, 130 have already been signed by teams.

There are 15 guys left who scored at least 20 points last season:

Vladimir Tarasenko 55
Daniel Sprong 43
James Van Riemsdyk 38
Jack Roslovic 31
Tyler Johnson 31
Cam Atkinson 28
Justin Schultz 26
Kevin Shattenkirk 24
Tomas Tatar 24
Filip Zadina 23
Max Pacioretty 23
Mike Hoffman 23
Kyle Okposo 22
Blake Wheeler 21
Erik Brannstrom 20

Tarasenko is the only 20 goal scorer left to sign, only 4 above are under 30 years old (Sprong, Roslovic, Zadina and Brannstrom).

Teams sure are like hogs to the trough on July 1st.
Pacioretty would never come up north again with his minivan full of kids but I’d take a one or two year deal on him. Easily tradable, loved across the league.

Tarasenko is a very good fit for us imo.

Sprong… and then… eh I dunno it’s slim pickings.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
That's a nothing tweet. It reads like he has no Intel on the matter, and without that, its just engels' personal opinion which is about as valuable as any poster here.
That's always how it goes. The media never see HuGo's trades coming until they get a text from their buddies at the NHL office to tell them about it so they can tweet it before the official press release.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Pacioretty would never come up north again with his minivan full of kids but I’d take a one or two year deal on him. Easily tradable, loved across the league.

Tarasenko is a very good fit for us imo.

Sprong… and then… eh I dunno it’s slim pickings.

These 3 player feels like Mike Hoffman but with a name we don't dislike.

Reactions: Shred and Vachon23

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
I would like us to sign Adam Gaudette, a top scorer in the AHL last year. With Pezz being 13th F, you tell Roy, RHP, ABB, Gignac and Gaudette that there are only 2 spots for 5 guys and let them battle it out. Losers go down and remain hungry, which helps the Rocket.

Roland Mckeown, a good RD at the AHL level, would be another great add to our depth.

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
Really is a great quote.

I still think if Tarasenko is willing to come here on a two year deal, that would be a decent get.

If not, yeah, look for something down the line either when teams are panicking about getting under the cap or if the season is approaching and they don't want to deal with a situation with a younger player.

Signing Tarasenko to a 2-years deal could indeed be a good stop-gap option; he would provide talent on Dach’s line next year and then ease Demidov’s integration the year after.

This being said, really curious about Newhook and Dvorak immediate futures; will the former be use as LW2 or 3C and the latter as 3C or traded before the season starts?

2024-2025 :

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovski
Newhook - Dach - Tarasenko
Roy - Dvorak - Gallagher / Armia
RHP / ABB - Evans - Anderson / Armia

2025-2026 :

Demidov - Dach - Tarasenko
Roy - Newhook - Gallagher / Anderson
RHP / ABB - Evans - Anderson / Gallagher

(Top-6 looks awesome; bottom-6, not so much…)

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Signing Tarasenko to a 2-years deal could indeed be a good stop-gap option; he would provide talent on Dach’s line next year and then ease Demidov’s integration the year after.

This being said, really curious about Newhook and Dvorak immediate futures; will the former be use as LW2 or 3C and the latter as 3C or traded before the season starts?

2024-2025 :

Newhook - Dach - Tarasenko
Roy - Dvorak - Gallagher / Armia
RHP / ABB - Evans - Anderson / Armia

2025-2026 :

Demidov - Dach - Tarasenko
Roy - Newhook - Gallagher / Anderson
RHP / ABB - Evans - Anderson / Gallagher

(Top-6 looks awesome; bottom-6, not so much…)

Literally just posted the same thing regarding Tarasenko to my buddy @JoelWarlord - maybe Tarasenko on a 2 year deal. Gives us a top 6 option with some veteran leadership, an icon in Russia and someone who can help mentor Demidov through his transition to North America

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Obviously. There's no place for him. But it's also an insurance policy after deadline if we need a warm body to finish the year so we don't have to claim Colin White on waivers.

What is Colin White at this point? He's played over 300 games - including playing in the playoffs with the Panthers in their run to the finals in 2022-23 - but didn't do much with either Pittsburgh or Montreal last year.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Literally just posted the same thing regarding Tarasenko to my buddy @JoelWarlord - maybe Tarasenko on a 2 year deal. Gives us a top 6 option with some veteran leadership, an icon in Russia and someone who can help mentor Demidov through his transition to North America
He's an interesting short term, top 6 option. I don't know how he is attitude wise, but if he comes in with the right mindset he could do the trick just fine. He's still a close to PPG producer and a decent powerplay player.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Tarasenko apparently doesn’t want to play anywhere else but Fla w large Russian community - TBay is apparently trying to hammer out a deal.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Tarasenko apparently wants to stay in Fla w large Russian community - TBay is apparently trying to hammer out a deal.
Russians absolutely love Florida. But Tampa only have 5 signed defencemen with JJ Moser needing a contract too. Not sure they can fit him.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He's an interesting short term, top 6 option. I don't know how he is attitude wise, but if he comes in with the right mindset he could do the trick just fine. He's still a close to PPG producer and a decent powerplay player.

Just won a cup in Florida - was a leader in STL.

I don't think there would be an issue with his attitude at all.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
To me the problem isn't the big contract, it's the bottom 6 forwards that were signed at a very good price. It was a good moment to get a better bottom 6 to take up some pressure and maybe try to compete. Girgensons, Foegele, Greer, Jones, Aubé-Kubel, Heinen, Sherwood, Carrier, Trenin, Lafferty and a few others.

No game changers but clear upgrades and no big contracts. But I guess HuGo is really going for another tank year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad