GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
In terms of value and short term nature of the deals, the Oilers have done really well. However, these signings are luxury in nature and there are necessities on the backend to solve..... that is assuming they can go to the well one more time with skinner holding up.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I still think they want to add something that the core guys can appreciate as another step in the right direction.

I can't get past the "This team showed us something" and the "we need to get bigger" as the first weakness Kent identified in the post season presser.

I know they see it as many of us do but they also have to find the right fit.

I keep saying it over and over again a big heavy fast winger who can hit like a truck score twenty goals and drop them on occasion if he has to.

The Josh Anderson role.
If only Josh Anderson can play like he's able to then we'd be covered! I've never been so frustrated in a player before since Rene Bourque. Anderson has the skill but the effort and drive isn't there.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Great day for Edmonton today! Re-signed many of their role players and added Arvidsson.

The power of being a contender even way up north.
That's the thing. Marchessault, verbatim, said "I would have loved to play for Montreal but Nashville was a better fit." Aka he views them as a better chance to win. Which, yeah, fair.

The team needs to take a step next year, and I believe they will even with a similar roster. Once UFAs/vets view us as a team on the rise/on the cusp of the playoffs, it will change perceptions and we'll attract more.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Will there be credits for weather, lack of privacy, and then offsetting for greater endorsement potential? How about credits for teams in markets that have insane travel?

That's a slippery slope.

Regardless, tax is a super complex issue. Even guys on the same team with similar salaries can have completely different tax bills based on how they structure their affairs. Matthews for example is paying a very favorable tax rate despite playing in Canada.
And yet, that super simple tax structure is exploited every year.

Either play as a fair system or don’t pretend it is

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
That's the thing. Marchessault, verbatim, said "I would have loved to play for Montreal but Nashville was a better fit." Aka he views them as a better chance to win. Which, yeah, fair.

The team needs to take a step next year, and I believe they will even with a similar roster. Once UFAs/vets view us as a team on the rise/on the cusp of the playoffs, it will change perceptions and we'll attract more.
Arguably a good step forward would be to just miss the playoffs while icing a young promising lineup (making it would be a surprise), get another top 15 pick and now be armed to go into the draft with a lot of draft capital and into free agency with cap space (Dvorak, Armia and Savard gone). Habs would be a much more appealing option. Sort of like the Leafs were in 2017.

Reactions: Saundies

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
He's not good enough to be top 6, but isn't a bottom 6 type either. Teams play him bottom 6 because he can finish against other teams bottom 6, but then they usually want to replace him with someone who can pk, or grind, or play physically. He does none of those things.
Fun fact about Sprong: his father was a pain in the ass in minor hockey, while his young son was playing, yelling at refs, opponents, everybody essentially from the stands. His rep was known across the Ligue Métro.

I was at a game where my best bud’s son was playing against the kid, when I see this older guy hollerin’ all the time. I’m like: who’s the idiot? And all the parents on the Outaouais side told me about Sprong’s old man.

Beendair Donedat

Don’t be a Jimmy Juice Arse
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
If only Josh Anderson can play like he's able to then we'd be covered! I've never been so frustrated in a player before since Rene Bourque. Anderson has the skill but the effort and drive isn't there.
I don’t think that the effort isn’t there personally. Some nights yes, absolutely, he was dogshit and lazy, and drove me nuts. But have you ever seen a guy with worse puck luck than Anderson this year? The only one I can think of that comes close would be Chris Higgins, and his 2 breakaways a game when he only scored 23 goals…. He could have had 50! Anderson hit more posts, had more pucks deflect off sticks, and was robbed more than other Hab I’ve seen over the last 40 years. I think it broke him mentally, and I’m not joking. He looked lost and a shell of himself. If he had converted on half the chances he blew last year, he’d have put up his usual 20 goals. I hope he bounces back because he can be a major asset to this team when he’s on his game.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I don’t think that the effort isn’t there personally. Some nights yes, absolutely, he was dogshit and lazy, and drove me nuts. But have you ever seen a guy with worse puck luck than Anderson this year? The only one I can think of that comes close would be Chris Higgins, and his 2 breakaways a game when he only scored 23 goals…. He could have had 50! Anderson hit more posts, had more pucks deflect off sticks, and was robbed more than other Hab I’ve seen over the last 40 years. I think it broke him mentally, and I’m not joking. He looked lost and a shell of himself. If he had converted on half the chances he blew last year, he’d have put up his usual 20 goals. I hope he bounces back because he can be a major asset to this team when he’s on his game.
Great post.

I think Andy looked really good the first 20 games of the year. But as you mentioned, too many things went wrong and pucks that should have went in didn't. From there, it all fell apart and he couldn't buy a goal.

I'm not ready to completely write him off yet. But it's a question of whether his confidence resets every year, or if he's just lost it completely.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
There is a chance. Afterall, there is no reason for him to struggle so bad. I don't think he is a good fit for Marty's system which relies heavily on hockey IQ. Anderson has been productive when he could go down the wing with speed and just rush in and take a shot. I think he is a little lost in this system and it is partially why he overthinks and his timing isn't quite right.

If I am right, this will still be an issue next year. But if he can at least be decent, then maybe a trade with retention can be done or we will be at least somewhat okay with him staying around the team.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
I made a spreadsheet this morning of all the available ufa's who played in the NHL this past season.

Of the 249 players, 130 have already been signed by teams.

There are 15 guys left who scored at least 20 points last season:

Vladimir Tarasenko 55
Daniel Sprong 43
James Van Riemsdyk 38
Jack Roslovic 31
Tyler Johnson 31
Cam Atkinson 28
Justin Schultz 26
Kevin Shattenkirk 24
Tomas Tatar 24
Filip Zadina 23
Max Pacioretty 23
Mike Hoffman 23
Kyle Okposo 22
Blake Wheeler 21
Erik Brannstrom 20

Tarasenko is the only 20 goal scorer left to sign, only 4 above are under 30 years old (Sprong, Roslovic, Zadina and Brannstrom).

Teams sure are like hogs to the trough on July 1st.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
For FAs.

JVR might be a target, but it depends on how his foot speed was this past season.

Tarasenko should be fine in a 3 year deal.

That would take him to 35. Enough to allow him to go back to the KHL and get some top dollars there.

Tarasenko put up around .75 ppg. Would be a nice player with Newhook and Dach. Russian, so he could help out Demidov next year and Konyushkov the year after that.

The longer this goes, the cheaper he might be and a nice addition for the Habs at a cheap contract.

Reactions: donghabs98

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
It sucks that it seems a lot of the times that good players are traded/want out it happens in the Atlantic.

Robertson/Pinto would be decent gets for us in either case but will probably never happen because neither TOR nor OTT would want him in the division.
If the Habs wanted Robertson, they probably only need to offer sheet him to a 1/2.29M deal. I can’t see Robertson getting a better deal than that, would only cost the Habs a 3rd, and Toronto probably can’t afford to pay him that much for a whole year, especially cause they wouldn’t be able to trade him.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

durojean

May 29, 2007
I think Heineman could steal RHP spot next camp.

I could see a line of Heineman-Evans-Armia.

Still hope for another top 6 winger to complete that 2nd line.
I think they will do something like

Caufield Suzuki Roy
Slafkovsky Dach Dvorak
Armia Newhook Gallagher

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Perfect day today. No old players with huge caphit. Lets keep going the right way. Another bottom 10 finish is exactly what we need.

If last year we would have signed a ufa, we would have missed on Demidov. So lets not miss our next young star. I hope we can find a superstar d or another forward with as much potential as demidov next year.

Then, when Reinbacher/Demidov/Mailloux/Hutson graduate we will start going upward and at this moment we will be able to sign ufa.

Its all about patience.

Beendair Donedat

Don’t be a Jimmy Juice Arse
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I posted this offer on the main boards and Winnipeg fans were pretty receptive.

To Winnipeg: Justin Barron, Bogdan Konyushkov, 2025 1st round pick (Calgary), 3rd round pick 2025 (Vancouver)

To Montreal: Rutger McGroarty

Jets get a guy they can play on their bottom pair right away for cheap, a potential top 4 in Konyushkov, a 1st and a late 3rd.

Habs pick up a big talented forward that’s further along in his development and fits in perfectly with the age and play style of the current core group, without giving up a significant prospect.

Potentially in a couple of years:

Demidov - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Caufield - Dach - McGroarty
Roy - Beck - Hage
Tuch - Xhekaj - Anderson

Guhle - Reinbacher
Hutson - ______
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Fowler
Dobes

Reactions: Gustave and bcv

Ad