GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
He caught some fire later on season and playoffs
But n
Not near as nifty as Byron
More of a checker than anything else
He's be more useful for a playoff bound team
He re-signed with the Oilers for 3 years @ $1.45 million

Notable free agents available nothing much left. I'm not really surprised Hughes didn't do anything I expect him to explore the trade market throughout the summer.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018

Notable free agents available nothing much left. I'm not really surprised Hughes didn't do anything I expect him to explore the trade market throughout the summer.

I would take a shot on Tarasenko if he's willing to accept a 2 yr deal to help Demidov's transition into North America.

Treal

Jul 6, 2007

What is it about Daniel Sprong? He seems to have decent seasons (statistically at least), yet always seems to find himself looking for cheap contracts every summer?

Reactions: dcyhabs

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Tarasenko/Henrique are after market holdout hoping to squeeze in on a playoffs team. It could be worth a try on Tarasenko, but I think he will end up elsewhere.
Yeah, Tarasenko is the only one I'd give a deal to at this point. Make it a 2 year to mentor Demigod next year as well.

He did sign in Ottawa so maybe he's not opposed.

NicRattlehead

Mar 5, 2021
Houston, TX
Hughes did better than most teams by avoiding this clown show of a day, another W.
Well the teams that did make big moves have been good to very good teams over the past several years. Eg I don’t think signing Jake Guentzel was a mistake by the Lightning.

Not saying we should have thrown a truckload of money at him but it’s not always a mistake to sign good free agents.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
There is a trade out there.............no doubt in my mind.
The D still has too many guys on it..........and we know Dach is a great add, but we need another top 6 kid.
The other top 6 kid will be here for the 2025-2026 season. Newhook/Roy will be fine for Dach next season.

The only issues is the bottom 6 who can't score and can't get out of their zone/can't play defense outside 2 guys. But turns out most of them are declining vets and won't be back after this season....

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
The NHL is NOT gong to do anything about it because the players don't care or the NHLPA would push for stiffer penalties. Teams must employ enforcers to protect their players or have a lot of players on LTIR.
protect them from what? having a useless goon in the lineup doesn't prevent anything from happening.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Hughes is doing a good thing. Keeping his capspace handy. Now that the majority of players are signed and the shifts have happened around the league, reactionary moves will be made and the Habs can take on contracts, capspace, etc while gaining assets/shedding liabilities

Reactions: LaP and Dick Duff

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Columbus only has 4 NHL Ds. They most be crossing their fingers that Jiricek and Mateychuk are ready next season...

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
No moves is absolutely brutal lmao. Tanking teams made moves, good teams made moves, bubble teams made moves. Sat on our hands all week.
$12 million in money committed to Armia, Dvorak, Edmundson, and Allen. It's not the year to throw darts. By all means though, let's copy what the Kings did and throw another Alzner contract out there for someone. Alzner, whose buyout just came off our books.

Kane coulda been had for 1 year. Stamkos reportedly would have taken 20M over 2 years.
Does anyone really think either player would have realistically signed with Montreal? Stamkos was only going to go to a playoff team and/or one with a favourable tax situation. Kane would have gone back to the Rangers before coming to Montreal. He just doesn't strike me as someone interested in playing in Canada.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
A big winger on a short contract and most likely with a low cost ? EDM wants to shed salary to re-sign Henrique, Broberg and Holloway.
Probably wouldn't come here and his attitude/issues might not be ideal.

I really hope the Habs can add some extra toughness, though.

Deslauriers, or Olivier would be nice. Deslauriers is a little expensive for what he does, though and they likely want him to f*** people up who touch Michkov

Reactions: Chiko99

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Probably wouldn't come here and his attitude/issues might not be ideal.

I really hope the Habs can add some extra toughness, though.

Deslauriers, or Olivier would be nice. Deslauriers is a little expensive for what he does, though and they likely want him to f*** people up who touch Michkov

I would prefer a top 6 winger until Demidov is ready. E. Kane or Laine would be short 2 years contract players that could bounce back.

Reactions: The Real Timo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad