GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I am saying he does nothing to protect teammates any more. Xhekaj and Pezzetta do.
Again, no player does. There is no such thing as protecting teammates, the teams with goons take the same bumps as teams with none. Think about it, how exactly do you protect a teammate by fighting AFTER some incident has occurred? Having Reeves, Deslaurier on the bench for 95% of the game doesn't intimidate anyone.

Protecting teammates hasn't been a thing for decades, modern game has moved on. Most players in the league will pass on scambling their brain to "protect" their mates.

Reactions: themilosh

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Again, no player does. There is no such thing as protecting teammates, the teams with goons take the same bumps as teams with none. Think about it, how exactly do you protect a teammate by fighting AFTER some incident has occurred? Having Reeves, Deslaurier on the bench for 95% of the game doesn't intimidate anyone.

Protecting teammates hasn't been a thing for decades, modern game has moved on. Most players in the league will pass on scambling their brain to "protect" their mates.
There are other ways to retaliate. Hammer other teams best players, run the goaltender etc. There are players that other teams are afraid of like Rempe. Xhekaj does some of that. Anderson does not.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
There are other ways to retaliate. Hammer other teams best players, run the goaltender etc. There are players that other teams are afraid of like Rempe. Xhekaj does some of that. Anderson does not.
it isn't the 80s, and that isn't a thing anymore.

the only retaliation that happens is that at the start of the next game between the two teams, there will be a meaningless fight.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I knew we weren’t going to sign anyone, but I honestly expected a trade for one of Necas, Zegras, or McGroarty.

We had the picks, prospects and cap space to make it happen.

I’d be shocked if we still manage to pull it off

As for next year. Im not concerned with making the playoffs - I fully expected the rebuild to be at least 3-4 years minimum.. I just want top end drafting and player development to finally take shape after years of ineptitude and it’s slowly but surely happening.

My bigger concern for next year is overall team toughness. size and physicality

We still have too many smurfs ( and inexplicably added another one today) and the ones that do have size are either soft as butter, chicken shit or injury prone.

My fear is that we are gonna get crushed on too many nights.
It's going to happen

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
The only two deals that happened today that I honestly would have been fine with are Patrick Kane and Jeff Skinner. Perron maybe, but it would have been kinda yucky for 2 years, as getting him would have reminded me of getting PA Parenteau well after his useful years.

There are others that could have been "justified" but just missed our window of making sense, like DeBrusk, Marchessault, etc.

I think HuGo addresses our need by trade.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
A player that I would be interested on a short term deal is Janmark you would add speed to the bottom of the lineup and he is a great penalty killer. With his playoffs though I think that someone may offer him a long term deal.

Yeah, I'd take Janmark. I'd go as high as $3.75m x 2 considering the cap space we have. He's a Byron type.

He probably gets $3m x 4, though.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
it isn't the 80s, an that isn't a thing anymore.

the only retaliation that happens is that at the start of the next game between the two teams, there will be a meaningless fight.
Ridiculous. There are teams that will jump players after a clean hit. Habs need more guys who will do that.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Don’t think Habs are finish, can’t believe they won’t add at least 1 player
I still think they want to add something that the core guys can appreciate as another step in the right direction.

I can't get past the "This team showed us something" and the "we need to get bigger" as the first weakness Kent identified in the post season presser.

I know they see it as many of us do but they also have to find the right fit.

I keep saying it over and over again a big heavy fast winger who can hit like a truck score twenty goals and drop them on occasion if he has to.

The Josh Anderson role.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, I'd take Janmark. I'd go as high as $3.75m x 2 considering the cap space we have. He's a Byron type.

He probably gets $3m x 4, though.
He caught some fire later on season and playoffs
But n
Not near as nifty as Byron
More of a checker than anything else
He's be more useful for a playoff bound team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad