GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
i agree with this strategy of not spending big $$$ on UFAs, none of which were going to move the needle too much anyway.

HuGo wants to see what this cohort of youngsters can do against NHL competition, especially with fewer injuries plaguing the roster.

I wonder how many prospects already in the system make the team however. Demidov, Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux ... any of these guys have any shot at all?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Leon Draisaitl
He and Rantanen are obviously the dream, but even adding a guy like Buchnevich would be massive.
add Evans off the books , dude so soft and made of glass
I don't think Evans is overpaid really, hard to ask for much more from a 4C. His contract and role aren't affecting us compared to guys like Anderson/Gallagher/Armia/Dvorak.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
i agree with this strategy of not spending big $$$ on UFAs, none of which were going to move the needle too much anyway.

HuGo wants to see what this cohort of youngsters can do against NHL competition, especially with fewer injuries plaguing the roster.

I wonder how many prospects already in the system make the team however. Demidov, Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux ... any of these guys have any shot at all?
Demidov said hes coming in NA after his last year in Russia
Reinbacher way too early.
Hutson maybe.
Mailloux id let him cook in the ahl for a whole season

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Demidov can't, but all of those you named + Kapanen, Beck will have a shot depending on how their summer training goes.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
He and Rantanen are obviously the dream, but even adding a guy like Buchnevich would be massive.

I don't think Evans is overpaid really, hard to ask for much more from a 4C. His contract and role aren't affecting us compared to guys like Anderson/Gallagher/Armia/Dvorak.
yeah hes contract is not bad i just wish we had a bigger player and more physical one for a bit of toughness

Reactions: The Great Weal

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Dach is pretty much an addition that can't be ignored since he missed the whole year.

They didn't really replace monahan though, but the young defense will have an additional year under their belt as well.
Dach is Monahan's points replacement, so the Habs so far have subtracted from last year unless Dach just crushes it

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Honestly, this is one of the best FA signing first day we've had. No stupid contracts, no stupid trades. Just let the young guys develop. Tank for another top 5 pick. Building like Florida. Let core young players develop, have cap space to pick up restricted free agents etc.
They won't be tanking for another top 5 pick, nor should they. The people on this site are insufferable with tanking year after year. It was ok for a few seasons but time to move on a bit and stop being full out losers. We got a 1st and 2x 5th in the last 3 years.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
They won't be tanking for another top 5 pick, nor should they. The people on this site are insufferable with tanking year after year. It was ok for a few seasons but time to move on a bit and stop being full out losers. We got a 1st and 2x 5th in the last 3 years.
if this core develops properly (yes that's a big if), I think it's good enough to win with.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
So the way to avoid tanking is to what? Sign Stamkos? Tanev? Guentzel? Haha. If there was a legit top player, then yes, we should try to sign him. You either have a legit shot at a cup or you're tanking. Anything in between is the mediocrity death cycle. We're closer to a cup by not signing mid level trash.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The summer of George.
As a Habs fan for over 50 years it is disheartening to see this franchise in this mess. Yes the new management is slowly turning things around but to think we haven't had a 100 point player since Mats Naslund, a 50 goal scorer since Stèphane Richer and a 40 goal scorer since Vincent Damphousse is just plan sad.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
So the way to avoid tanking is to what? Sign Stamkos? Tanev? Guentzel? Haha. If there was a legit top player, then yes, we should try to sign him. You either have a legit shot at a cup or you're tanking. Anything in between is the mediocrity death cycle. We're closer to a cup by not signing mid level trash.
Yes, because those were my words. You people make up shit in your heads and run with it LMFAO. I never even spoke about the UFA period.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
The summer of George.
As a Habs fan for over 50 years it is disheartening to see this franchise in this mess. Yes the new management is slowly turning things around but to think we haven't had a 100 point player since Mats Naslund, a 50 goal scorer since Stèphane Richer and a 40 goal scorer since Vincent Damphousse is just plan sad.
sure, but that wasn't going to change with any free agent signed today

MeanMugging91

Jan 6, 2016
Honestly not sure how any one could be mad at Kent today... All the guys that would have been interesting got contracts that I'm glad we didn't offer. On top of that the bottom 6 is crowded like a mf and we would need to move some players out before committing to new ones... I think if we upgrade our top 6/9 it'll come in form of a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad