GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Just pointing it out where the roster is at the moment...

The Habs current roster scored a total of 205 NHL goals last season (including Barre-Boulet's 6 goals). The Caps scored the fewest in the East with 220 (Habs scored 236 goals fewest in the Atlantic).

Barring additional moves and some impressive growth from ??? would be prepared for another long season.

On the bright side, it is good to see them avoid some of today's silly contracts.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Conflicted. Some of the deals today just feel flat out dumb, but I would have liked to see the Habs get some veteran nhl forwards into the top 9 not named Gallagher or Anderson to help the young core out and try to improve. Seems like they are ok with bottoming out again next season.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Just pointing it out where the roster is at the moment...

The Habs current roster scored a total of 205 NHL goals last season (including Barre-Boulet's 6 goals). The Caps scored the fewest in the East with 220 (Habs scored 236 goals fewest in the Atlantic).

Barring additional moves and some impressive growth from ??? would be prepared for another long season.

On the bright side, it is good to see them avoid some of today's silly contracts.

A healthy Curvy Duck would go a long way

Reactions: Habs13

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Looking at the money and term that was expended today on what can only be described as a mediocre and aging free agency class, I'm glad we stayed away from the party. The only 'gem' in these signings was Debrusk. He's still young and skilled and would immediately have become one of our top 6 forwards. Vancouver signed him for much less than other teams paid for older players of equal or lesser value.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
One of Sam Carrick and Brandon Duhaime wouldn't have been a luxury.
Nah, too much.

Team needs to be soft.

On a more serious boat, both Hughes and Gorton have said the Habs want to take another step forward. Not necessarily playoffs, but be somewhat competitive, so they must have a/multiple trades lined up because a full season of Dach isn't going to make up that difference especially considering teams below you got better and you didn't.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I know Free Agency is not how to properly build a championship team (or a core) but it seems like UFA contracts are nowadays less excessive as they used to be. I mean Stamkos who scored 40 goals last year is only at 8M. Marchessault is at 5.5M. These are not so bad even considering their age. IMO it brings more question mark about signing RFA with their 2nd contract to 8 years deal like we did to Caufield in perspective. Maybe signing young players to short term deals until they truly prove themselves is way smarter way to manage contracts now then offer them long term deal after 1 or 2 seasons in the NHL.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Looking at the money and term that was expended today on what can only be described as a mediocre and aging free agency class, I'm glad we stayed away from the party. The only 'gem' in these signings was Debrusk. He's still young and skilled and would immediately have become one of our top 6 forwards. Vancouver signed him for much less than other teams paid for older players of equal or lesser value.

These are my thoughts as well.

The most important day was June 28th and they came out with two very skilled players.

For where the franchise is in competitive cycle, unless they could have added Kane for 1-2 years or Stamkos on a very short term deal, there was nothing that actually helped the team go forward without risking another poor contract. A poor contract, mind you, that would have started being poor at the same time we'd finally rid ourselves of Gallagher and Anderson. I do question the sanity of those that wanted the team to splurge for these middling players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad