GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
I know everyone want to see Anderson and Dvorak gone, but value has to be at an all time low for both of them.

They might keep them a bit longer and see if that can change in the first half of next season. Getting rid of veterans just for the sake of it without being able to replace them isn’t the best idea.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
This is an unintentional strawman.

I'm not talking about the rebuild being over. I'm not saying playoffs or bust. I'm asking for games to mean a little more for the benefit of young core. Getting help is meant to HELP THEM. Wouldn't it be nice for Demidov to come to a team in better shape than the one that drafted him?
Half of our games were decided by one goal, we rarely got pumped by a team. What will help the Habs the most is the development of Demidov/Reinbacher/Mailloux/Hutson and more, not overpaying for mediocre players just to be 3-5 spots higher in the standings.

I expect us to make serious moves next year when all those players will likely be in the NHL.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Arpon Basu reported late last year that 'young veterans' were starting to be concerned about all the losing and that they didn't want to be Buffalo/Ottawa.

The summer is not done, sure, but we've had no indication that HuGo are looking to do something concrete. A 4th straight season of just getting our asses whooped isn't a positive in any shape or form. How deflating is that if you're Suzuki/Caufield? It's not even like you have a contract to play for to keep you motivated. You got your money.

We haven't listened to the same Hughes then. He will make moves this summer.

But 2025 is the big one.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Arpon Basu reported late last year that 'young veterans' were starting to be concerned about all the losing and that they didn't want to be Buffalo/Ottawa.

The summer is not done, sure, but we've had no indication that HuGo are looking to do something concrete. A 4th straight season of just getting our asses whooped isn't a positive in any shape or form. How deflating is that if you're Suzuki/Caufield? It's not even like you have a contract to play for to keep you motivated. You got your money.
A good amount of teams have gone through long drought, some get luckier than other and draft superstar which makes them competitive faster. You can't build a contender in a short span of 2-3 season when you start from the total bottom of the league. This is part of crafting a team build for long term success.

Their job is to play hockey and their all more than well compensated to do so. Barkov and Ekblad didn't quit on their team. McDavid and Draisatl didn't quit. Ovechkin waited a long time and went through a lot of deception before raising the Cup. I would except the same for our captain and the other players on this team in times of adversity.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
Andersson + CGY 1st

That would be highway robbery. But let's be honnest people, Laine has been an enigma and an underperformer almost all his career.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Oh right Jonathan, would have loved to play for MTL but NAS was a better "fit"....

I don't think he's lying. Say what you will about Nashville's direction but if you're a competitive player, they're a lot more attractive in terms of ambition. At least they try.

Do you (general you) think it's surprising that Montreal hauled in so many players in 2009? It's not because Gainey had pretty eyes. It was because they looked like they had ambition (however misguided it may have been).

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
During the first hour of FA Frenzy this year there were 64 signings worth 745.8 million in total money. Jesus christ..
Sometimes the best signings are the ones you don't make. Happy to see Hughes stay out of this s***-show. Dumb GMs heard the cap is going up, so no need to intelligently sign contracts anymore, just assume your budget will never stop going up year-over-year.

Reactions: sheed36

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
A good amount of teams a gone through long drought, some get luckier than other and draft superstar which makes them competitive faster. You can't build a contender in a short span of 2-3 season when you start from the total bottom of the league. This is part of crafting a team build for long term success.

Their job is to play hockey and their all more than well compensated to do so. Barkov and Ekblad didn't quit on their team. McDavid and Draisatl didn't quit. Ovechkin waited a long time and went through a lot of deception before raising the Cup. I would except the same for our captain and the other players on this team in times of adversity.

But that is exactly my point. Once again, I'M NOT EXPECTING US TO BE A CUP CONTENDER WITH AN FA SIGNING.

I want continuous progress, especially after 3 full seasons of bottom finishes. I want this to help our young veterans. I want this to help our prospects.

Barkov and Ekblad watched the Panthers continuously make moves to try and improve in the present. So did Ovechkin.

And don't talk to me about Edmonton - they're a terrible example and we should not want to go through what they went through.

A 4th year of spinning our wheels is a disastrous plan.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
We haven't listened to the same Hughes then. He will make moves this summer.

But 2025 is the big one.

Yup, everything is setup for 2025. Majority of Bergevin's contracts are gone. We'll be down to Price x 1. Anderson x 2. Gallagher x 2. Considering the contracts given out this summer, Anderson might finally be a tradeable asset.

They can also likely buyout Gallagher. Leaving Price's final LTIR year.

Reactions: Treb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad