GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
They will be and all the Canadian teams will be on it as his wife is a doctor in the US. It is a major reason why he left Winnipeg was for her career.
Yeah, but he might try and keep the teams that are closeish to New York.

Instead of getting waived and go to San Jose let's say.

That's basically the only chance for that, but it will be funny if he is waived and gets picked up by some west coast team.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Another small body though. Don’t see how a team with Caufield in the top 6 can fit in Robertson too.

I’m a fan of the player, I just don’t see the fit.
Indeed.

I'm not against adding talent regardless of size, but giving up assets to add an unproven/project player that needs top 6/offense focused role to succeed doesn't make any sense for our roster unless it were plan D in August after whiffing on every other scoring depth target.

CrazyBob

Jul 11, 2004
Oh well no Patrick Kane for a fun 1-2 season in Montreal now that he re-signed with Detroit. Not the end of the world but would have been cool

Reactions: Redux91

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Amazing seeing American teams improving without blinking while most Canadian teams don't have that same mojo.
Calgary signed Kadri not that long ago. Ottawa signed Tarasenko last year. Most Canadian teams don't have top 6 spot open or just sucks so players looking to join a contender aren't interested.

Most players aren't big fans of moving their young family far away from where they current live (or where they live during the summer too).

Reactions: Tyson

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I’m predicting HF Habs will collectively lose their mind today, continuing a 20+ year tradition. We all know it’ll happen, so grab your popcorn if you like that sort of thing. :laugh:
I'll lose my mind if Trenin signs a fair contract AND the Habs do nothing to make the bottom 6 actually harder to play against and get a player, or two down there that can defend themselves aside from Pezzetta.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I’m predicting HF Habs will collectively lose their mind today, continuing a 20+ year tradition. We all know it’ll happen, so grab your popcorn if you like that sort of thing. :laugh:
I haven’t been here that long but when’s the last time we got an exciting player as a FA?

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Pezetta should be in laval, RHP can be your 13th forward.

but you need a more serious 3rd and 4th line pronto. WIth that forward group we will remain where we where, maybe pick 8-10 instead due to progression.
Well Listen, the 3rd line is not what it used to be.. we are talking about a top9 with this team. The ideal case for me would be Debrusk and McGoarty. Which fixes your top 9 for years to come. Then cross your fingers that Tuch and Xhekaj can make it on a 4th line.

Slaf-Suzuki-Caufield
DeBrusk-Dach-Demidov
McGoarty-Newhook-Roy

Would be a Solid top 9 in my opinion.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004

Viktor Arvidsson: Heard Edmonton was going to try, but lots of interest.

Anthony Beauvillier: Pittsburgh.

Laurent Brossoit or Anthony Stolarz: Toronto.

William Carrier: Dallas.

Ian Cole: Utah.

Jake DeBrusk: I picked Seattle from the start, have to stick with it.

Brenden Dillon: New Jersey.

Matt Duchene: Dallas.

Joel Edmundson: Los Angeles or Ottawa.

Oliver Ekman-Larsson: Toronto was chasing hard.

Warren Foegele: Los Angeles.

Elias Lindholm: Boston.

Jordan Martinook: Chicago.

Sean Monahan: Columbus or Winnipeg.

Brandon Montour: I thought Utah, but now I'm not as certain. A lot of teams like his fire. Seattle is looking for more offence and is believed to be in the mix.

Brett Pesce: New Jersey.

Matt Roy: Washington.

Jeff Skinner: Seattle, but a lot of options.

Brady Skjei: Nashville.

Kevin Stenlund: Utah.

Chandler Stephenson: Nashville most likely, if not, Seattle or St. Louis.

Chris Tanev: Toronto (around six years at $4.5M AAV).

Teuvo Teravainen

Teuvo Teravainen: Rangers or Chicago.

Tyler Toffoli: I thought Los Angeles or Rangers, but a few sources think San Jose snares him to entice Macklin Celebrini.

Yakov Trenin: Minnesota.

Sean Walker: If Florida’s defence is decimated by losing Ekman-Larsson and Montour, I could see them making a hard pitch.

Nikita Zadorov: Boston.

Tyler Bertuzzi: Chicago.

Sam Carrick: Rangers.

Obviously, there are many

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Not just Canadian teams that struggle to get players to buy into choosing them...

While the weather, taxes and scrutiny factors clearly play a role, offer, quality of the organization (stability, competence, coaching, roster strength & fit), and individual family considerations are the biggest drivers & all except the latter are well within the control of the team.

The Hage & Koivu picks, screening top picks for mindset/attitude capable of thriving in the spotlight, targetting players with local or personal ties to the org.... KH & Co. are doing a great job of acknowledging and adapting to the unique advantages, and mitigating the disadvantages, of the Montreal market.

Reactions: bopeep

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I'm in agreement that our bottom 6 is bad, but if you start signing " name " UFAs to play bottom 6 you are wasting your Cap space.

We have tons of forward prospects that will play on an ELC if they make it. I mean okay for a 3C to make some money but the others making $3M-$4M is pushing it. Guys like Roy, Beck, Kapanen, Heineman, Tuch, Florian X all are incoming. So pick up a guy on a 2 year deal okay but no more Armias on 4 year terms.

Reactions: Troyp and Redux91

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

Last year we made a big splash on July 1 ....Phillippe Maillet and Brady Keeper..

• Haha
Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Expectations are low, so from my perspective my wish is that Hughes finds a way to remove dead weight, that's step one, not bringing in overpriced underachievers...we already several of those.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
They should just keep the cap space for the deadline, as usual. Ask for 2026 picks.

It would be encouraging if they had 2 good years of draft capital coming up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad