GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Hearing they were interested in Kane was really interesting. Basu even mentioned that the type of deal Kane ended up signing may be something we're into.

I wonder if Stamkos could be swayed. Sign him 2-3 years at a higher AAV.

Regardless, we want a top 6 guy. That much is clear.

It's the signing bonuses. Pay him $800k, but give him $6m in signing bonuses. He gets his money upfront. Still a $6.8m cap hit, but almost all the money is paid upfront.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
6543806f420c65763b55a082e8bd17b7.png
Well the Habs did mend fences with Subban under this regime, can we call up PK to put in a good word for us ;)

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
EP Rinkside doesn’t exactly have a glowing write-up for Perron in their recent UFA primer..

David Perron, RW/LW, 36-years-old​

Projected Contract: 2 x $2.9 million

Sometimes, decline hits quick, and in Perron's case it's hit real quick. Teams may look at the experience, the physicality, and the production and say that they need multiple years of Perron, but he went from solid creator to one of the least active forwards with the puck in the league in the offensive zone. Could he be a functional fourth liner? Maybe, but that's not how his contract projects.

Yeah, he's old. One year deal only. $2.9m is fine. I would not go 2 years.

That way if he's bad, he can leave along with everyone else who's contract is up next summer.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
You cannot overestimate the impact of playing with talent for a young team. Stamkos will make Suzuki, Slaf, Caufield, etc... better players. Permanently better. This is a young team. They need to be around Stamkos types, not Dvorak types. They need to learn from players like that. Dvorak loses a game and he goes to sleep without a problem. Stamkos doesn't like losing. I want our young core to hate losing too.
Yeah they are for sure interested. I just wonder if they can get Stamkos on short term, like 2-3 years, when teams like Nashville will probably be desperate and offer 5 years.

Reactions: donghabs98

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Yeah they are for sure interested. I just wonder if they can get Stamkos on short term, like 2-3 years, when teams like Nashville will probably be desperate and offer 5 years.
I think we can get him on a short term team, but we'd have to offer a high AAV to compensate. If reports are true, Stamkos did turnover 8 years from Tampa so clearly term isn't the big thing. I think a 3yr deal at a similar or higher total $ amount would win out (if it's the right team).

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

If it's a choice between Hedman & Stamkos, I'm taking Hedman, too. Lol

Even without Stamkos, TB has a superstar in Kucherov, and star players in Point & Hedman. They're also going to replace Stamkos with the younger Guentzel. So they'll have Guentzel, Hagen, Kucherov, Point, Cirelli, Paul, with Geekie also likely making the team at forward.

They'll definitely lose offense from the D with the loss of Sergachev, but Hedman, McDonagh, Cernak & Moser will be a much stronger defensive unit.

Brisebois is re-tooling on the fly, and yes, being a bit cut throat about it similar to Vegas.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I remember reading a post showing interest in Carrier as a defenseman, I presumed it was Alexandre. Maybe I remember wrong.

Yeah, I was interested in signing both Carriers, William and Alexandre. Alexandre is a pretty solid top 4 RD.

Both William Carrier (Vegas) - LW, and Alexandre Carrier (Nashville) - RD, are UFAs. I feel A. Carrier would be a good partner for Xhekaj, Struble or Harris depending on who's playing.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
If it's a choice between Hedman & Stamkos, I'm taking Hedman, too. Lol

Even without Stamkos, TB has a superstar in Kucherov, and star players in Point & Hedman. They're also going to replace Stamkos with the younger Guentzel. So they'll have Guentzel, Hagen, Kucherov, Point, Cirelli, Paul, with Geekie also likely making the team at forward.

They'll definitely lose offense from the D with the loss of Sergachev, but Hedman, McDonagh, Cernak & Moser will be a much stronger defensive unit.

Brisebois is re-tooling on the fly, and yes, being a bit cut throat about it similar to Vegas.
Exactly, what Brisebois is doing may be cut throat but it's needed considering the Lightning haven't been won a playoff series in 2 years and the core has gone stale. Time has come and he did try to find a way for Stamkos to remain there even if the effort definitely isn't market value for Stamkos and could have been handled in a softer way. I think the Tampa-Stamkos relationship has just run its course. Both parties have reasons to go their seperate ways. There's another team out there that will pay Stamkos and treat him well and Tampa will have a chance to sign someone younger whose in their prime.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad