GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Thay was an insane offseason and probably will never happen again.

In: gomez, cammalleri, gionta, spacek, Gill, moen (I could be missing names)

Out: koivu, kovalev, Higgins, mcdonagh, tanguay

Buy yeah cammalleri is probably the biggest name (in prime) that the Habs ever signed externally.

Thank the gods!

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
Not gonna lie, it would be fun in a perfect world to watch Stamkos score a ton of goals against the rest of the division wearing the CH. Assumes a lot, but I’d be stoked to see him bury one timers against the Leafs, TB, FLA, B’s. Not gonna be mad if they offer high dollar + short term.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Ok overrated was probably a reach excuse me but the way i meant it it's that very unlikely he gets 60 points or even 50.

They missed the boat with Anderson 2 tdl ago , if they can get good assets for a guy we traded for Petry and Poehling you do it.
I'd argue its very unlikely he doesn't assuming he's healthy. He's going to continue to play a ton and be on the ice when our best players are on and he’ll continue to rack up points as a result.

I don't see that dynamic changing anytime soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
No he wasn't.

That entire smurf era was a joke and threw me off from hockey for a few years.

And they got Jacques Martin to coach that boring team.

There were some good moments. Plekanec was singing under martin. Cammalleri turned into guy lafleur in the 2010 playoffs as they went to the 3rd round.

2011 was Price's coming out party. Took Boston to game 7 ot without markov and pacioretty.

It fell off after that.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
There were some good moments. Plekanec was singing under martin. Cammalleri turned into guy lafleur in the 2010 playoffs as they went to the 3rd round.

2011 was Price's coming out party. Took Boston to game 7 ot without markov and pacioretty.

It fell off after that.

f*** that. Worst boring core this team has ever had and that's including the nightmarish late-1990s-early 2000s tombstone era.

My fanship for this team wouldn't survive another "7th in the East, anything can happen in the playoffs" defensive style 5 years window locked by long-term contracts to guys without true game-breaking talent.

Holy shit!

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

It fell off after that.
That Bruins series could have gone either way. I believe it was Ryder who blocked a sure goal in OT in either game 5 or 7 and Horton's OT goal was luck. That said, we were up 2-0 and it still haunts me how we proceeded to drop 3 straight (3 games at home to boot). I hated those Bruins so much, it sucks it had to be that team who won the cup.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Thay was an insane offseason and probably will never happen again.

In: gomez, cammalleri, gionta, spacek, Gill, moen (I could be missing names)

Out: koivu, kovalev, Higgins, mcdonagh, tanguay

But yeah, cammalleri is probably the biggest name (in prime) that the Habs ever signed externally.
I actually didn't mind any of those signings and they all contributed to that little competitive run in 2010 and 2011. That Gomez trade though was brutal. Even if Gainey didn't want to resign Koivu and was deadset on getting Gomez, he should have made a better deal. Look at where we could have been had it been Yannick Weber or a draft pick instead of McD.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
f*** that. Worst boring core this team has ever had and that's including the nightmarish late-1990s-early 2000s tombstone era.

Disagree with you there. Subban, price, and pacioretty were coming up during that time so there was more hope coming through relative to the late 90s.

I can't compare those two eras at all.

There is something I miss about those martin teams. Where the forward comes down low, and they used a couple quick short passes to exit the zone with speed. It was pretty when they were executing it but also taxing on the 200 ft forward.

After that, the therrien teams would go for long bombs and chip pucks in, which was a total 180.

Reactions: Archijerej

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That Bruins series could have gone either way. I believe it was Ryder who blocked a sure goal in OT in either game 5 or 7 and Horton's OT goal was luck. That said, we were up 2-0 and it still haunts me how we proceeded to drop 3 straight (3 games at home to boot). I hated those Bruins so much, it sucks it had to be that team who won the cup.
Gionta blowing a gaping cage in OT before Horton scored and the year Cam Ward stole the series.

Those were the two times I felt we had a run brewing.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I actually didn't mind any of those signings and they all contributed to that little competitive run in 2010 and 2011. That Gomez trade though was brutal. Even if Gainey didn't want to resign Koivu and was deadset on getting Gomez, he should have made a better deal. Look at where we could have been had it been Yannick Weber or a draft pick instead of McD.

I'm not surprised they targeted gomez since I know gainey had huge interest in him when he was ufa in 2007. His agent came out some time later and mentioned that if he hadn't chosen the Rangers, he was going to montreal.

But yes, that was an awful trade. Mcdonagh is still going strong and was one of the better top pair defenders in the game at his peak.

My goodness, in an alternate world. The top 4 could have been markov, subban, mcdonagh, and petry.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I liked all 3 of Norlinder, Boqvist and Lundkvist as prospects and now all are UFA's, ouch. I don't watch much Liiga but I usually see a decent amount of SHL/Allsvenskan each year (not this year though), surprised that one of them didn't do make it especially Lundkvist who I haven't seen in a while but I would at least have some interest depending on what's been going on with him and what Hughes is up to.

Reactions: donghabs98

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I still find it curious that we didn't hear any more noise today. Not about the Canadiens per say, but about which team might be interested by whom.

Usually we always hear about Team X being expected to sign player Y and whatnot. But this year excluding Guentzel + Tampa it's been eerily quiet.

Could be because usually there is a bigger gap between the draft and UFAs day, so teams don't have a whole lots of time to kick tires this year.

Reactions: Kents polished head

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Didn't they win game 6 at home to force game 7? I think that was the game where lucic or someone of that ilk ran spacek from behind in a very dangerous play.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Thank god seems Detroit is bringing him back.
Yeah thank god we didn't sign a highly talented PPG winger who will most probably retire as the best american skater to ever lace them up.

Lucky for us the Newhook and Roy of this world of there to support our offense.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Carrier looks like he misses half of every season to injuries...
He will fit right in.

Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 5.24.19 PM.png

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Yeah thank god we didn't sign a highly talented PPG winger who will most probably retire as the best american skater to ever lace them up.

Lucky for us the Newhook and Roy of this world of there to support our offense.
Its not time yet to patch our team with old players. If you can add to the core, you do it. But you dont patch a rebuilding team with Patrick Kane.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00