GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
With what $ - Brisebois said today Stamkos is going UFA and Friedman reported TBay is ready to give Guentzel 8yrs / $8M and they are negotiating a new deal for Hedman which they expect to have in place soon… that’s where Sergachev + Jeannot $$ are going

Brisebois said they will retool via UFA to compete for the Cup next season
We also said Vancouver Carolina are still trying to sign Guenztel, sounds like a $$$ war. Also doubt that Hedman will get that much more what he gets right now

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
TVA Sports was saying a few weeks ago we would be looking at a short term deal but could entice some Free Agents by overpaying them.

Essentially buying out those extra years a FA would have on a longer term contract by giving more money to compensate. I’m a fan of this strategy. Give so much money that the player can’t refuse. It also give us the option of flipping the asset at the end of the term for some pick/prospects.

I would try to see if Patrick Kane would bite on 1-2 year contract for 8-10m.

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
TVA Sports was saying a few weeks ago we would be looking at a short term deal but could entice some Free Agents by overpaying them.

Essentially buying out those extra years a FA would have on a longer term contract by giving more money to compensate. I’m a fan of this strategy. Give so much money that the player can’t refuse. It also give us the option of flipping the asset at the end of the term for some pick/prospects.

I would try to see if Patrick Kane would bite on 1-2 year contract for 8m.
The advantage Cdn teams have over their US counterparts is the ability to offer upwards of 95% of contract value in the form of bonus payouts for US resident players.

Ex. TBay reportedly offered Stamkos $24M over 8 yrs. Habs can offer that same $24M over 3yrs ($8M AAV) w $21M+ paid out in bonus including some approx $17M of contractual amount paid out in 12-months + 1-day. No US based team can match that after tax take home.

This is all under the presumption of course that $ is the ultimate differentiator for said player.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Fresh off a 40 goal season...he can still play at a high level for a few more years.
20 of which were on the PP. A PP that had a 140 point player running it. We don’t have that. In fact the only thing he does on the PP is sit on the left side waiting for one-timers. So what’s the point of Caufield if we get Stamkos? It would be a poor signing.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
we have too many unmovable players under contract for next season, so I don't think they'll try to sign anybody for more than a season.
you do know that the unmovable PL Dubois has been traded without salary retention with his 8 years 8M$ contract ?
Sometime teams with low budget want to add player with high salary cap, but in the end of their deal ( often the money they receive is lower than the cap hit 0

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Reunite these guys on a short deal

1719699882795.jpeg

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I don’t think Montreal taxi drivers deserve it
Like 18 years ago a taxi driver tried to go out of his way to make my trip longer and get paid more. Thankfully I knew the area and told him to just pull over as I had like 20 bucks for a trip that cost 13-15 the last two times I did it and he was already at 19 bucks.

That cab driver f***ing deserves it.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
Instead of Perron, let's add a few millions more, outbid everyone on a one year deal and get Monahan again. Then trade him 50% retained at the trade deadline and get another 1st from it.

He is probably looking for long term security instead, but that scenario would be hilarious.

• Love
Reactions: HomaridII

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
you do know that the unmovable PL Dubois has been traded without salary retention with his 8 years 8M$ contract ?
Sometime teams with low budget want to add player with high salary cap, but in the end of their deal ( often the money they receive is lower than the cap hit 0
Dubois has an atrocious contract but he's still young and as for a return they still got a washed up overpaid goalie. Also Washington in 2 seasons will have a total of 50m cleared. You gotta see beyond the trade.

Like nobody wants Gallagher at full price in a bottom6

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Dubois has an atrocious contract but he's still young and as for a return they still got a washed up overpaid goalie. Also Washington in 2 seasons will have a total of 50m cleared. You gotta see beyond the trade.

Like nobody wants Gallagher at full price in a bottom6
There are more than one single way to do so. Why at full price ? it could be also for another player that fit with Habs and that makes +-4m$ , a 3 waays deal ...

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
There are more than one single way to do so. Why at full price ? it could be also for another player that fit with Habs and that makes +-4m$ , a 3 waays deal ...
I mean habs only have 1 salary return this season .
Gotta keep it for maybe Dvorak/Anderson/Armia at the tdl.

Next year we should have 3. More plausible or even buyhim back.

I would give a 3 or 2nd picks to trade a Dvorak or something. We have 1 place in our lineup at this moment which will probably go to Roy

Reactions: ZUKI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad