OT: 2024 Soccer and Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
England through, hard luck for the Swiss. They had a chance to win it in the ET.

Likely going to be England vs Netherlands in the semi-final, especially with Demirol out for Turkiye. (And that decision could cause an international incident).

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Wow, Turkiye up 1-0 - justly - against Netherlands! We could have a game now.
Turks just straight outplaying the Dutch individually, very surprised. They make so many dangerous runs while the Dutch end most possessions with an offside flag or a flop because they just can't get thru the defense.

Reactions: ziploc

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Turks just straight outplaying the Dutch individually, very surprised. They make so many dangerous runs while the Dutch end most possessions with an offside flag or a flop because they just can't get thru the defense.
A preview of the Canada v Argentina game, I feel.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Southgate riding his luck.

Not played well at all and yet still got through.

Two Jekyl and Hyde teams in England and Netherlands. Will be interesting.

Fully expect Spain to spank France. French have not looked good.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Last edited:
Reactions: Nomobo

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Southgate riding his luck.

Not played well at all and yet still got through.

Two Jekyl and Hyde teams in England and Netherlands. Will be interesting.

Fully expect Spain to spank France. French have not looked good.
Not much Jekyl and Hyde in the English team. They can't play as a team and rely on moments of brilliance from their players. Lucky for them they have world-class players.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Goes a long way in explaining the surge in extreme right politics across Europe. Scary shit.
As an immigrant myself, it hurts my soul extra special to see people refusing to integrate. I came to Canada, played hockey, integrated, and am proud to be half-Canadian and half-Dutch. To see people who grew up and were born probably 3 generations in the Netherlands shit on the country hurts me deep.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I was expecting a reaction like this with the decision around Demiral. I fully understand and support the efforts to remove hateful symbology (not saying I know much about the Turkish grey wolves) and also see how the issue is especially sensitive in Germany. I don't know if there was a better way to handle the situation, but you could foresee the issue arising if Turkiye lost.

Another note: Brazil and Uruguay starting, 46 degrees in Vegas, but the stadium is air conditioned. I think Uruguay could take this one.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
As an immigrant myself, it hurts my soul extra special to see people refusing to integrate. I came to Canada, played hockey, integrated, and am proud to be half-Canadian and half-Dutch. To see people who grew up and were born probably 3 generations in the Netherlands shit on the country hurts me deep.
There’s not much of a difference between European and Canadian cultures (western) but the gap between east and west seems to be growing fuelled by religion and rabid nationalism.
I’m an immigrant myself.

Reactions: Nopefully and WTG

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
OT - the late Eddie Van Halen was half-Dutch as well (his dad was Dutch while his mom was Indonesian):

Reactions: WTG

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
There’s not much of a difference between European and Canadian cultures (western) but the gap between east and west seems to be growing fuelled by religion and rabid nationalism.
I’m an immigrant myself.
Nationalisms are growing East and West. It's a big problem.

Back to the Game:
There is no space at all in this Brazil v Uruguay game. And so physical. Brazil is really not Brazil this time around.

I had thought this would be the game of the tourney. Turns out that was Venezuela v Canada.

Reactions: Red and Nomobo

Jyrki

May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Goes a long way in explaining the surge in extreme right politics across Europe. Scary shit.
I mean, these guys are also extreme right... just part of a different tribe. Dumb shit all along, but there's a reason why far-right politicians would rather make policy against poor refugees than Turkish fascists.

Jyrki

May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Woof some terrible pens by Brazil lol. That said, it's silly how Uruguay can pick up a red card in the 2nd half then just run out the clock until the shootout... why doesn't Copa America have extra time?

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
I’m an immigrant myself.
Tired of making excuses for them tbh. Rioting in the streets and abusing Dutch fans in the Netherlands. I am so glad they lost tonight. There are so many good Turks in the Netherlands, especially The Hague, they need to take some responsibility for allowing this to fester in their communities.

Reactions: Nomobo

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
From June to September, in a 3 month period, we will have played against:
Netherlands/France/Argentina/Peru/Chile
Venezuela
Argentina again
Uruguay/Colombia
Mexico
USA

Can't think of a better string of games for the MNT in such a short period of time.

piss off with this :wg:

• Haha
Reactions: Lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Both the Netherlands and France are through to Euro semi-finals. Makes you realize that the 'friendlies' Canada played against both teams in early June were more impressive that we realized at the time.

They were tied 0-0 with the Netherlands at half-time, before buckling in the second half and losing
4-0. And of course they played France to a nil-nil draw. And these games came shortly after Canada's first training camp where Jesse Marsh was barely weeks into the job.

And as we all know they played Argentina to a 0-0 half-time draw in COPA America Group play; before conceding two second-half goals.

The fact is that these are three of top sides in the world right now; and Canada was more than competitive with all of them. And they have been slowly but steadily building their game throughout the COPA America knockout games and the quarter-final.

So I suppose we shouldn't be completely shocked at their performance so far. They've at least proved they belong on the same pitch with these world powerhouses

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Both the Netherlands and France are through to Euro semi-finals. Makes you realize that the 'friendlies' Canada played against both teams in early June were more impressive that we realized at the time.

They were tied 0-0 with the Netherlands at half-time, before buckling in the second half and losing
4-0. And of course they played France to a nil-nil draw. And these games came shortly after Canada's first training camp where Jesse Marsh was barely weeks into the job.

And as we all know they played Argentina to a 0-0 half-time draw in COPA America Group play; before conceding two second-half goals.

The fact is that these are three of top sides in the world right now; and Canada was more than competitive with all of them. And they have been slowly but steadily building their game throughout the COPA America knockout games and the quarter-final.

So I suppose we shouldn't be completely shocked at their performance so far. They've at least proved they belong on the same pitch with these world powerhouses
They had already proven their talent and strength of spirit by winning concacaf qualifying with a limited manager.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad