OT: 2024 Soccer and Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
In Europe most of the players know each other from their club teams, so there's a lot less mutual hatred. VAR has stopped a bit of the diving, but it's still there.

If you're talking about wasting time with the lead, every European team big or small still does it. Shithousery at it's finest.

CONMEBOWL, that's not even football, lol. It's almost it's own sport.
Copa America has been a complete shitshow.

Refs stink but that's to be expected. But I am really upset at the way the way this has been hosted. Let's be honest, the only rich countries in the Americas are Canada and the US. Even then, it's hard even for Canadians to travel to these games. But to then have each game take place in 3 different locations has been a complete disaster.

Imagine being a fan from Chile who is middle class in Chile, but then you have to take a 2 thousand-dollar+ flight (USD) to the US. Then you have to take a connecting flight from an international tournament to play in f***ing Texas, New Jersey, and Florida. That is completely unaffordable for your standard fan.

Not only that, the pitches have been absolutely garbage. You can literally see the lines in the turf as if they have been laid like a week before.

They should have played all group-stage games near international airports and different stadiums within bus range and offered packages for away fans to come and watch their nation at relatively cheap rates.

It just seems like every sports league that is present in America has been to solely pump out the most cash. So disappointing.

Reactions: Nomobo and ziploc

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Copa America has been a complete shitshow.

Refs stink but that's to be expected. But I am really upset at the way the way this has been hosted. Let's be honest, the only rich countries in the Americas are Canada and the US. Even then, it's hard even for Canadians to travel to these games. But to then have each game take place in 3 different locations has been a complete disaster.

Imagine being a fan from Chile who is middle class in Chile, but then you have to take a 2 thousand-dollar+ flight (USD) to the US. Then you have to take a connecting flight from an international tournament to play in f***ing Texas, New Jersey, and Florida. That is completely unaffordable for your standard fan.

Not only that, the pitches have been absolutely garbage.

They should have played all group-stage games near international airports and different stadiums within bus range and offered packages for away fans to come and watch their nation at relatively cheap rates.

I would gather 90% of the attendees in the US are immigrants or citizens with S.A. roots. There's just no way other than the elite are going to travel that much. Their middle class is not like our middle class. The last Canada game was about 90% Chilean fans, and it's not surprising it's in Florida.

The Copa has usually been in S. America anyways until recently.

I do agree that one of the hubs should be closer to Canada. But hosting it in a huge country like the US, you're going to be defeated by geography.

Reactions: WTG

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Swiss should be the favourites I think. But that whole side of the draw is weak in comparison to the other side. Romania v Netherlands or Austria v Turkey - The Netherlands haven't really looked good, and none of the rest are historic powerhouses. Austria has probably looked the best so far.

While the other side has Spain, Germany, France, Portugal, and Belgium. Weird how that all worked out.
I hate the 24 team format. Absolutely hate it. It's absolute rubbish having 3rd place teams gain entry into a knockout stage. Furthermore, many of these low ranking nations play such an unattractive style of football in matchups against the heavyweights.

You maybe get an upset or two but the quality of football has taken a hit with the expansion of the format.

The tournament pre-2016 was awesome.

Reactions: LandfiII

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm sure Canada has shocked the soccer universe by advancing past the group stage in COPPA America.

It's probably a real shock to rapid supporters in Chile and Peru, who probably were convinced their teams would book their ticket to the knockout stage. Chile apparently hadn't missed advancing since 2004.

Now the heavy lifting begins. You can't advance with a 0-0 result. You have to score goals. So Canada needs to get a lot sharper in the box.

But who can deny this is another historic moment or Canadian soccer.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Knew it was inevitable when they were given 6 minutes of injury time. Horrible clearances by Slovakia. Zero real plan to carry the ball into the English half. Their team was barely able to stand at the 92 minute mark.
I find referees are pretty liberal with the extra time applied. I can't blame them for it though. With the amount of stoppage time from the Euro 2000 final permanently set to infinite all future referees continue to just dip into the endless faucet of seconds and sprinkle wherever plot necessitates.

I'm 42 and that Italy loss to France is maybe the one for me.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I'm sure Canada has shocked the soccer universe by advancing past the group stage in COPPA America.

It's probably a real shock to rapid supporters in Chile and Peru, who probably were convinced their teams would book their ticket to the knockout stage. Chile apparently hadn't missed advancing since 2004.

Now the heavy lifting begins. You can't advance with a 0-0 result. You have to score goals. So Canada needs to get a lot sharper in the box.

But who can deny this is another historic moment or Canadian soccer.
Our most likely opponent in the next round is Venezuela. That is a winnable game. But yeah we have to play positive football.

Reactions: Lindgren

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
I hate the 24 team format. Absolutely hate it. It's absolute rubbish having 3rd place teams gain entry into a knockout stage. Furthermore, many of these low ranking nations play such an unattractive style of football in matchups against the heavyweights.

You maybe get an upset or two but the quality of football has taken a hit with the expansion of the format.

The tournament pre-2016 was awesome.
I disagree, Euros don't feel like an exclusive club of just the top nations anymore. The expansion has allowed nations that would traditionally not be represented to have representation. It's not like the top nations all play this "amazingly high-quality style" look at England and Italy.

Also, it allows for more rest days between games, which was desperately needed. Football schedules have become so bloated with games as of late.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I disagree, Euros don't feel like an exclusive club of just the top nations anymore. The expansion has allowed nations that would traditionally not be represented to have representation. It's not like the top nations all play this "amazingly high-quality style" look at England and Italy.

Also, it allows for more rest days between games, which was desperately needed. Football schedules have become so bloated with games as of late.
We have a whole qualification campaign that weeds out teams that have no business being at the Euro's. The final tournament was supposed to be the best of the best. Now we just see these inferior teams getting their asses handed to.

Like we are probably going to a 32 team tournament in 2028 or 2032. It will make the whole thing shit.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
We have a whole qualification campaign that weeds out teams that have no business being at the Euro's. The final tournament was supposed to be the best of the best. Now we just see these inferior teams getting their asses handed to.

Like we are probably going to a 32 team tournament in 2028 or 2032. It will make the whole thing shit.
You have to watch 1-2 more nimos playing will instantly turn the tournament into shit? You are being hyperbolic. You don't need to watch nimos play if you don't want to.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver

The only teams so far which had their asses handed to them was Italy by Switzerland, lol.

The new format has been fine. More teams in the KO round is good for the sport

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Mexico is out of Copa. Wild.

Canada against Venezuela July 5th. If we win we would likely face Argentina again, weirdly.
Is it my bad or is that 3-2 Austria Nederlands game from this Euro's group stage set for a pretty quick round 2?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Our most likely opponent in the next round is Venezuela. That is a winnable game. But yeah we have to play positive football.
Kind of shocked to see that Venezuela is ranked 54th in the FIFA rankings; and Canada is 48th. So on paper at least, this is a 'winnable game'.

That would set up another clash with Argentina in the COPA semis. But it's all gravy from now on for the Canadian men.

Reactions: ziploc

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Kind of shocked to see that Venezuela is ranked 54th in the FIFA rankings; and Canada is 48th. So on paper at least, this is a 'winnable game'.

That would set up another clash with Argentina in the COPA semis. But it's all gravy from now on for the Canadian men.
A long time ago—a long, long time ago—I coached a team of 16-year-olds. They were terrible. A kid from Venezuela joined mid-season, and ... he was even more terrible. I've doubted Venezuela ever since.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
I love watching the expanded Euros. I love seeing the different fans invade the system and representing their country.

The cream always rises to the top, and it keeps the "big countries" on their toes and be complacent.

Also, teams like Denmark and Greece have won it. Even minnows like Wales and Iceland did super well at previous tournaments.

Reactions: Red and Lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So Mexico fails to get out of their group; and the U.S. hopes are on life-support....they need a result against Uruguay and even then may need some help to advance.

Surely this has to result on a shakeup in the FIFA rankings for COPA America teams, even if Canada falters against Venezuela. Basically they'd be the only team in CONCACAF to advance past the group stage.

Reactions: ziploc

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
So Mexico fails to get out of their group; and the U.S. hopes are on life-support....they need a result against Uruguay and even then may need some help to advance.

Surely this has to result on a shakeup in the FIFA rankings for COPA America teams, even if Canada falters against Venezuela. Basically they'd be the only team in CONCACAF to advance past the group stage.
It's pretty obvious that Canada is the big fish in the CONCACAF wading pool.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
The final nail into the coffin for Belgium's "golden generation". I don't see them being serious competitors for a very long time.

France was slightly better but they managed to be slightly more offensive than Belgium.

Why they put De Bruyne as a defensive midfielder in this game will get the Belgium manager fired.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Soccer is so soft - any contact and the player goes down like they got shot. Cards need to be handed out for diving. Simply embarrassing

This USA/Uruguay match is a prime example of that

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
As a Switzerland fan,* I enjoy having knocked off Italy to annoy all the Canadian fans who pretend to be Italian, and now here’s hoping they can knock off England to annoy all the fans who pretend to be English. :sarcasm: ;)

*I do not pretend to be Swiss, but I did live there.
Napoleon Bonaparte was really Italian :sarcasm:

(heh, I know the country of Italy didn't exist at the time).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad