2024 Sleeper Picks

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I haven't seen a ton of discussion on Tarin Smith, but I would take him in the early to mid 2nd round.

Thanks for your contribution, not the first time I've heard his name in this context. I haven't watched Everett this year, do what makes Tarin Smith so special?

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
Even though his defensive game needs a good bit of work, I can still see John Mustard sneaking into the 30's. Alexander Siryatsky is a player who's been rising for me out of Russia as well in the past while. Simon Zether I think has some respect but not as high as he should being a good two-way forward with size who can play both Center and Wing.

Will throw out Tomas Mrsic as well. Went a bit unnoticed on a team with Lindstrom/Basha/McKenna but looks like someone who deserves a selection around R3/4.

Reactions: Cubebrick

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
WHL: tyler thorpe - huge right wing, late bloomer type
QMJHL: matyas melovsky - well rounded guy with size
OHL: aj spellacy - could be elite bottom 6 guy
USHL: ilya protas - skating is ok but massive dude with vision

just to add a few guys of interest...

Cubebrick

Mar 5, 2014
Alexander Siryatsky is a player who's been rising for me out of Russia as well in the past while.
I second that. Siryatsky is criminally underrated in my opinion. Strong skater with quality plays over 200 ft, reads the game well and is aggressive at breaking off plays. His offensive numbers may not amount to anything crazy but he's solid on the transition to help out the rush. He does need to get stronger though. To me, he's easily a second rounder.

Timur Kol is another interesting Russian defenseman that I find interesting. Big and mobile with smart defensive reads. Not the fastest but his edges are pretty good. Not the most creative puck handler but his wrist short can be a serious threat. Good gap control and can also beat opponents in 50-50s. The big question mark is putting it all together and finding consistency.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why Kirill Zarubin is on nobody's radar, at least for the mid to late rounds. Maybe I'm not reading him well, but I came out impressed every single time I watched him. Massive goalie who's very raw talentwise and not the best technically, but moves well and fights to track the puck and to stop every single shot. The amount of times he bailed his trash team out is nothing short is ridiculous...

Also, Pavel Moysevich is an overraging goalie who isn't nearly talked about enough. He's got size, puck tracking and technique that are above average. His lateral movement could use a bit more power though as I find him fluid but not very fast at moving around in his net. Still, I like his potential way more than the huge majority of goalies who are featured on many lists.

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
I second that. Siryatsky is criminally underrated in my opinion. Strong skater with quality plays over 200 ft, reads the game well and is aggressive at breaking off plays. His offensive numbers may not amount to anything crazy but he's solid on the transition to help out the rush. He does need to get stronger though.

Timur Kol is another interesting Russian defenseman that I find interesting. Big and mobile with smart defensive reads. Not the fastest but his edges are pretty good. Not the most creative puck handler but his wrist short can be a serious threat. Good gap control and can also beat opponents in 50-50s. The big question mark is putting it all together and finding consistency.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why Kirill Zarubin is on nobody's radar, at least for the mid to late rounds. Maybe I'm not reading him well, but I came out impressed every single time I watched him. Massive goalie who's very raw talentwise and not the best technically, but moves well and fights to track the puck and to stop every single shot. The amount of times he bailed his trash team out is nothing short is ridiculous...

Also, Pavel Moysevich is an overraging goalie who isn't nearly talked about enough. He's got size, puck tracking and technique that are above average. His lateral movement could use a bit more power though as I find him fluid but not very fast at moving around in his net. Still, I like his potential way more than the huge majority of goalies who are featured on many lists.
Zarubin is a goalie I like but I'd be slightly higher on him if he wasn't a late 05 birthday. Borderline Top 100 guy and top 5 goalie in the draft for me.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Who has not attracted the attention they deserve in your opinion?

I'll start, Noel Fransén.

Might as well have posted in here. Also, Fransén is top of my no draft list.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Dylan Hryckowian (2004 born, NCAA), was a point per game freshman at Northeastern after tearing up the USHL last year, somehow didn't get drafted in 2023. Good bet to take, as he's a producer who will continue to have value on the market at minimum.

Reactions: Chainshot

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Why is Fransén a ND for you?

You know...sometimes looking at a player's EP profile you wonder why he was ignored by his federation for years. However, in most cases there's a reason for that. In this case we're talking about the Swedish federation, a federation with a lot of knowledge and expertise. This season I saw Fransén at a tournament in Switzerland and that suddenly answered all the questions I had previously. He was the worst player of the tournament and it wasn't close. I noticed he's a good skater with good hands but he was honestly just bad in every area of the game. Turnover after turnover, wild positioning against the puck and he was dominated physically as well. Even against a terrible German team he still looked bad. Responsible for countless goals against.

You can see he's talented but given the fact that he's an 05 late birthday that's a clear no draft for me. Perfect example of a player that works in a particular system even though his overall game is a complete mess. I'm not gonna say that he won't turn into something but there's just too many red flags right now.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for your contribution, not the first time I've heard his name in this context. I haven't watched Everett this year, do what makes Tarin Smith so special?

I'm not who you asked, but he'd be on my list as well.

He's one of the best-skating D in this draft, highly mobile and has a high IQ and shows well defensively inside a very good defensive system in Everett. Isn't huge but isn't tiny and is actually pretty gritty/competitive for a mobile skill defender.

He's had shockingly little discussion for a guy who to me is going to go in the top 40 picks of this draft and has an outside shot at being a 1st rounder a la Tanner Molendyk.

The other name on my WHL sleepers list would be Will McIsaac of Spokane. 6'3 physical RHD who was the 3rd highest ES scorer in the WHL amongst 1st time draft-eligible defenders. I don't even think there's a thread on him here but I'd expect him to go in the first 3 rounds. Skating is average but he's a nice combination of size/puck skills/grit and teams LOVE adding big RHD to their systems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad