Prospect Info: 2024 Senators Development Camp

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You may be right on Donovan although he has a pretty good motor & can skate but looked like he was getting overpowered at times with these big guys in small places. Agree on Andonovski, he is looking more polished, more rounded than last camp.

I don't know about Wallberg & Nordberg, two huge guys who can skate, I don't know whether they will go to Belleville or the ECHL or back to Europe. I like both, but they may lack the aggrression I saw today in a lot of players, they certainly have the size though. Ottawa is stacked on the LD spot with a number of big D, whether they ever make the show is a different story.
Wallberg will be suiting up for Ohio State again, Nordberg I have zero clue what he will be doing, not many options

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Javon Moore was surprisingly good at getting inside position on the d men he was battling with. For a guy that his listed at 6'5, he gets really low when driving to the net and get in between the d man and the goalie and is really effective at winning those battles for rebounds. He was really chippy around the net and has a bit of Tkachuk in him. He has good speed and has good skill but that is the thing that stood out to me today.

I was impressed with Blake Montgomery's skill. He is a good stick handler and skater as he can kind of do those spin moves and quick pivots to shield the puck and open up passing plays. He did some interesting drop passes and behind the back passes. He seems to have a bit of Spezza in him.

Yakemchuk has a really impressive stick. He is a very smart player and knows how to use his stick to tie up opponents sticks and stifle their ability to make plays and retrieve pucks. He gets the inside position and just effectively wins possession of pucks. I think his stick work is going to be something that people will become very impressed by.

Landen Ward comes across as physically way more mature than 18. Physically he seems more like a guy that is already a powerful and bruising forward at the AHL level. His play style reminds me a more of a shutdown d man but he is a forward. He has some good defensive ability and some offensive tools to him. He could possibly use some improvement on quickness.
Good Post, I completely agree with all of this, I saw the same with the exception of Montgomery, I may have just missed him with so many players on the ice.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Good Post, I completely agree with all of this, I saw the same with the exception of Montgomery, I may have just missed him with so many players on the ice.
I had a similar take to you on Yakemchuk at first. I think, like has been reported, that there is a lot of room for him to grow physically and athletically. I think he might have experienced a decent step up in conditioning as the drills looked like they were designed to really test the limits of the players. He was a bit weak defensively on some of the rush drills.

But when they shortened the ice for some of those drills his defensive game looked strong. He was very chippy. He was strong in gaining body positioning and using his body and stick to tie up opponents and win puck battles. I don't think he lost a single puck battle that I saw and was really good at gaining control of the puck and making smart decisions with if after he gained control of it. It will be interesting to see how he looks throughout the week.

I didn't see Toure or Eliasson but you mentioned you saw them. Are you sure you saw them on the ice today practicing with the main group?

Wallberg will be suiting up for Ohio State again, Nordberg I have zero clue what he will be doing, not many options
Can Nordberg go the NCAA route?

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I had a similar take to you on Yakemchuk at first. I think, like has been reported, that there is a lot of room for him to grow physically and athletically. I think he might have experienced a decent step up in conditioning as the drills looked like they were designed to really test the limits of the players. He was a bit weak defensively on some of the rush drills.

But when they shortened the ice for some of those drills his defensive game looked strong. He was very chippy. He was strong in gaining body positioning and using his body and stick to tie up opponents and win puck battles. I don't think he lost a single puck battle that I saw and was really good at gaining control of the puck and making smart decisions with if after he gained control of it. It will be interesting to see how he looks throughout the week.

I didn't see Toure or Eliasson but you mentioned you saw them. Are you sure you saw them on the ice today practicing with the main group?

I did see them on the ice today, but not for long. I saw Toure near the beginning of the drills but lost him after that. I didn't see Eliasson until around 3:15 & caught him on a few drills after that. They may have been at the other end of the rink & I rarely go down that far. Completely agree on Yakemchuk he is going to be a pain in the ass to play against but I could also say that for a number of guys today. I like the new format too, much more competitive, a lot more puck battles all over the ice. I have no idea what Nordberg will do, my guess is back to Europe but who knows? Fun day.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Did you see any mangament there? There were a couple of people up above in the usual corner where we enter the rink, but nobody I recognized. The old regime was always up there or in the building. They could have been busy with all the signings today.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Don't believe so, though I could be wrong with NCAA eligibility being a bit different with Europeans, but I believe he signed a contract with Sodertalje SK 2 seaosns ago.

I don't think he was on loan without a contract like Wallinder was.

Either way, he has no NCAA commitment so it seems like NCAA isn't an option, or likely one

His playing route has been an extremely strange one, to put it lightly

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Shean Donovan was on TSN1200 talking about Dev camp:

- Yakemchuk is very skilled. He was asked about Yakemchuk’s skating and Poulin’s comments about him being an elite skater vs scouting service comments, he couldn’t really assess as it’s been one day but said the prospects will meet with Shelly Kettles today and talked about how much guys improve their skating nowadays if they put in the work. Did say he doesn’t think his skating is an issue.

- He sat in on scouting meetings and Gabriel Eliasson came up over and over again. Sens were really high on him.

- Asked to highlight a couple prospects he’s been impressed by and he mentioned Hoyt Stanley. Said he had an incredible year in Cornell. He’s a big RD, smooth skater and plays hard. He’s a really good prospect, believes he’s gonna have a real chance to play in the NHL for a long time. Cornell doesn’t typically like to play younger guys and he was playing a lot by the end of the season and they’ll have a chance to win next year.

- The next guy he mentioned was Andonovski. Apparently he’s grown. Talked about how he plays big minutes in Kitchener and he plays mean, very tough kid.

Said those two in particular are stand-outs.

- He was asked about Halliday. He has high-end skill. Great hands and mind for the game. Everything ran through Halliday on a very average Ohio State team. Also mentions Wallberg made big strides too running their PP.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Would imagine he's still injured, otherwise he'd likely be there

Though, Ostapchuk isn't there either as they must consider him graduated or past that, but I'm not sure Boucher would
I just re-read Mendes’ article on him. My recollection was that he planned to participate in dev camp, but what he actually said was that he hopes to participate in the September rookie tourney.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Halliday should dominate this thing, this is the first of many tests for him this off-season. I'm sure a good showing here would make management give him a long hard look in main camp.

There's a theme with these guys, especially on defence. Size matters. I don't mind continuing to take these giants as long as they can skate. Mostly everything else can be taught.

Going to be really interesting to see who gets the hardest working player award at this thing, those guys have historically gotten a look at the NHL level (Boro, Kelly) so it'll be interesting of the new regime puts as much stock into that award as the old regime.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Donovan may take some time but his skating will make him some NHL money.
I think he's gonna play in the league. He has made a jump in development each year even in season, he was phenomenal on Saginaw at the mem cup. He was there best d man. With that type of skating and size I could see him being like a Nate Schmidt

Reactions: chipsens and GCK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad