Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending or maybe not ... )

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
There was a graphic on one of the broadcasts that had Horwitz just behind Josh Phelps for rookie OPS+ all time in Jays history. Some younger fans probably won’t ever recall Phelps, I am 39 and I was just getting into baseball when Phelps had his rookie year. I was amazed with his power. Once he hit a ball into the 5th deck during a game, FFS. Phelps fizzled quickly, though. He was a righty if I recall correctly, so a little different than Horwitz. Do you think Horwitz has a chance to have a much longer career than Josh Phelps? It’s so strange, some guys just can’t make the adjustment back the league made on them initially.

Reactions: canucksfan

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There was a graphic on one of the broadcasts that had Horwitz just behind Josh Phelps for rookie OPS+ all time in Jays history. Some younger fans probably won’t ever recall Phelps, I am 39 and I was just getting into baseball when Phelps had his rookie year. I was amazed with his power. Once he hit a ball into the 5th deck during a game, FFS. Phelps fizzled quickly, though. He was a righty if I recall correctly, so a little different than Horwitz. Do you think Horwitz has a chance to have a much longer career than Josh Phelps? It’s so strange, some guys just can’t make the adjustment back the league made on them initially.

Phelps had a 110 OPS+ for this career and it’s a bit surprising he didn’t stick longer in MLB as some sort of platoon bat.

Big power but not nearly the bat-to-ball skills or eye/strike zone management of Horwitz.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I find Doug to be more optimistic, but there is some nice talent at the lower levels. On a similar note, Kasevich sure is hitting the ball well with Buffalo.

Also Roden post-AS break has an OPS over 1.000 and a 168 wRC+. Over his last 31 (can't do 30 because of a DH on Aug 7) he's batting .389/.465/1.120 with a 191 wRC+. The farm must be pretty damn good if he's not a top 10 prospect in the system.

Reactions: aingefan

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Also Roden post-AS break has an OPS over 1.000 and a 168 wRC+. Over his last 31 (can't do 30 because of a DH on Aug 7) he's batting .389/.465/1.120 with a 191 wRC+. The farm must be pretty damn good if he's not a top 10 prospect in the system.
The first half was a worst case scenario for the farm system. After the draft next season I could see it being rated between 10-15, closer to 15, because of the likely high draft pick the Jays will get. Obviously that depends if guys in the system continue to progress and also if the Jays don’t trade some prospects.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
The first half was a worst case scenario for the farm system. After the draft next season I could see it being rated between 10-15, closer to 15, because of the likely high draft pick the Jays will get. Obviously that depends if guys in the system continue to progress and also if the Jays don’t trade some prospects.
And/or a few highly touted dudes putting it more together….Beltre, Toman, Doughty to name a few.
There’s also a few sleeper pitchers who aren’t getting much press, like TWallace in AAA who’s strung together 3 better outings there but having an uncharacteristic struggle with command, Lazaro Estrada and Rafael Sanchez at AA. A few pen arms that have been quietly good around the odd loud bad outing.
Even after a wave of graduates this year, it’s looking better.
Am really looking forward to seeing what the arms due when they get back pitching.
Fingers crossed.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
And/or a few highly touted dudes putting it more together….Beltre, Toman, Doughty to name a few.
There’s also a few sleeper pitchers who aren’t getting much press, like TWallace in AAA who’s strung together 3 better outings there but having an uncharacteristic struggle with command, Lazaro Estrada and Rafael Sanchez at AA. A few pen arms that have been quietly good around the odd loud bad outing.
Even after a wave of graduates this year, it’s looking better.
Am really looking forward to seeing what the arms due when they get back pitching.
Fingers crossed.
I think Toman is in bust territory now. Doughty needs to stay healthy. I believe Beltre finished off well so he is one worth keeping an eye on. Bonilla is a guy that hopefully breaks out because from what I read he had a poor year.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Other IFAs will just push out the previous crop. Victor Arias, Andres Arias, Randy Soto, Franklin Rojas all had good 2024s. Kennew Blanco will be inserted into the consensus top 30 once he signs.

Reactions: canucksfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad