Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending or maybe not ... )

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
He's been injured once (for which he had surgery).

Also, while his 8M would be around 11th right now, there are a few guys who are about to become free agents that are going to knock that down. If he hits FA, there is no reason why the Yankees or Red Sox wouldn't immediately make an offer for a 1-2 at the back of their bullpen.

And the pathetic thing about this is that we are talking about non-tendering as in walking away completely and getting nothing for a guy who should have pretty good value on the trade market for whatever his arbitration settles for.
Romano's developed some major control problems in the second half of last year, with his walk rate more than doubling. Then this year he was terrible/injured the entire season. I love the guy, but there's no way anyone around the league views him as a Top 5 closer at this point. I think he's an important piece of the pen next year and I expect him to be with the Jays, but he's a huge question mark.

It's not unreasonable to wonder what they'll do with a guy in that situation, but this isn't even a rumour. This is a writer spitballing.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He's been injured once (for which he had surgery).

Also, while his 8M would be around 11th right now, there are a few guys who are about to become free agents that are going to knock that down. If he hits FA, there is no reason why the Yankees or Red Sox wouldn't immediately make an offer for a 1-2 at the back of their bullpen.

And the pathetic thing about this is that we are talking about non-tendering as in walking away completely and getting nothing for a guy who should have pretty good value on the trade market for whatever his arbitration settles for.

I don’t disagree that tendering him would be a better option than just letting him go, but suggesting that they should definitively sign him long term is not the shrewdest of business moves. I’d only consider a crafty security move on both sides like Green’s deal.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
They do need to ditch Springer's contract. But man, I like him as a human. Love having him around the younger guys.
Yeah, that’s a valid point.
I’m not sure where or how you move him though.
Maybe his production rates will pick up with less of a role, maybe further down the order? Spelled by Barger or Lop more.
It’s a tough convergence really with a large number of younger/less experienced but capable players arriving all at the same time, and the desire to compete more.
I think both goals can be achieved simultaneously, but it’s gonna take some stick handling.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I don’t disagree that tendering him would be a better option than just letting him go, but suggesting that they should definitively sign him long term is not the shrewdest of business moves. I’d only consider a crafty security move on both sides like Green’s deal.
I'm not saying that we need to make any great commitments.

All I'm saying is that at 8M, I think Toronto could move him to a NL team if they didn't want to do the arb process themselves (at which point, nontendering becomes a stupid option)

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Maybe his production rates will pick up with less of a role, maybe further down the order? Spelled by Barger or Lop more.
It’s a tough convergence really with a large number of younger/less experienced but capable players arriving all at the same time, and the desire to compete more.
I think both goals can be achieved simultaneously, but it’s gonna take some stick handling.
I think the most likely scenario with Springer is that he plays out his contract with the Jays and just takes on a less and less impactful role, moving out of the leadoff spot and getting less playing time as the younger guys continue to establish themselves.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Yes, I think moving his contract would be problematic. Won’t be able to ditch all of it, for sure. They will have to eat a large chunk, but is that worth it at that point?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Springer’s also been one of the best Jays at hitting with runners on base/in scoring position this year. Just keep Lukes up there at leadoff to end the season. I’d anticipate a legit OBP machine like Roden or even Kasevich to move into that role in the future.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Springer’s also been one of the best Jays at hitting with runners on base/in scoring position this year. Just keep Lukes up there at leadoff to end the season. I’d anticipate a legit OBP machine like Roden or even Kasevich to move into that role in the future.
Reasonable.
They’ve gotta work through the first wave though, you’d think.
Most of this wave have good AAA pedigree getting on base, but need some time to establish it at the ML level.
I do wonder if Roden will get a crack next year at some point, since he’s not rule V eligible until the following winter.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I'm kind of on the fence with resigning Bo. I think we can live with Clement or Jimenez there and what he gets us back in trade + the vacated salary would allow us to add another slugger. But if we're going to resign Vlad and Bo we would need to send some contracts overboard.

Springer should be replaced by one of Roden/Loperfido/Lukes.
One of our big ticket pitchers, like Bassitt, should probably go too, and be replaced by one of our young guys or by a bounce back guy off the bargain bin.

That gives us an additional 46 million to spend.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Bo literally just gave a big F U to Atkins. Coming out and saying what he did this morning really puts the pressure back on management. If he gets traded than the Jays had no intention of negotiating an extension

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Bo literally just gave a big F U to Atkins. Coming out and saying what he did this morning really puts the pressure back on management. If he gets traded than the Jays had no intention of negotiating an extension

Or it could very well be Bo’s agent sticking to an F U number. Easy win-win situation for him as he doesn’t look like he wants to leave, but the price point could also just not make sense for the Jays.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Yesavage enters MLB Pipeline’s top 100 after Brooks Lee’s graduation.

It’ll be interesting to see how the pitching shapes up in 2026 when him and Tiedemann come knocking on the door.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Draft selection is irrelevant when it looks like there was a pre-draft deal that let him slide. He might’ve been picked 79th but his signing bonus was 30th (more than Toman or Doughty). Atkins did a similar thing with Bo…
Their bonus pool was slightly higher than the Red Sox in that draft, and they spent 5.6M of it on overslot bonuses to Barriera (3.6M) and Toman (2M). Red Sox meanwhile went underslot with their 1st rounder, and went overslot with Roman Anthony who got a 2.5M signing bonus.

They could have had enough in their bonus pool to go overslot on Anthony before the Red Sox pick...if they didn't already go overslot on 2 busts who went before him in Barriera and Toman...yikes Shatkins.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Their bonus pool was slightly higher than the Red Sox in that draft, and they spent 5.6M of it on overslot bonuses to Barriera (3.6M) and Toman (2M). Red Sox meanwhile went underslot with their 1st rounder, and went overslot with Roman Anthony who got a 2.5M signing bonus.

They could have had enough in their bonus pool to go overslot on Anthony before the Red Sox pick...if they didn't already go overslot on 2 busts who went before him in Barriera and Toman...yikes Shatkins.

Like I said, pre-draft deals make a lot of these selections close and shut. Why didn’t literally any other organization select him?

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

No way Shapiro would have let the Jays draft him because it would draw attention to this and he would have to explain himself;

Roman Anthony:

1726116066927.jpeg

Mark Shapiro:

1726116126560.jpeg

1726116176541.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TheTotalPackage

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Great start for Orelvis in the 2 games since he returned;

4 for 8 with 3 doubles and a triple, 1 RBI and 2 runs.

Run down on traded players:

Unfortunately Yimi Garcia has an elbow injury and is out for the season.

Kikuchi and Pearson looks very good
Turner had a rough start and is turning it around.

Jansen is having a rough time and not a good time to be bad.
IKF's hitting has be awful. Defense is still great
Trevor Richards as been demoted to AAA with a 18 ERA
Kiermaier had a great start but the bat is worse in LA than it was in Toronto. Defense is still good

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
You can also do the "they picked this guy right before this guy" thing multiple times for literally every front office that's ever done a draft. It's silly.
Drafts are wildly hard to predict, and Baseball is the extreme of that. Not to mention, weren't both Doughty and Toman seen has good picks for that slot at the time? Tucker, especially.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad