Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending)

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Who else is there realistically left to trade from our team?
KK and Richards.

Other possibilities IFK, Green, and Bassitt. I think one of those guys is gone.

4 of the guys the Jays traded for in exchange for expiring contracts is insane to think about. Either Atkins has been benched or abducted by aliens...
Atkins needs to go but overall his trades have been solid.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Who else is there realistically left to trade from our team?

Trevor Richards is expiring, probably would have been a guy that was wanted by a few teams but he's been dog shit lately.

Chad Green has one year left but his name has been popping up.

IKF's name has popped up aswell but it appears the jays want to keep him.

KK should be available but I haven't really heard his name out there. The D is still there to be a late game replacement for a contender.

Slim chances on Bassitt and Gaumsan

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
If I'm Atkins I'm calling up every GM and saying:

GridArt_20240729_221835230.jpg

Reactions: supermann_98

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
4 of the guys the Jays traded for in exchange for expiring contracts is insane to think about. Either Atkins has been benched or abducted by aliens...
Atkins' strongest suit has been his trades actually.

Some highlights;

Traded a washed up Francisco Liriano to Houston at the 2016 deadline; Return was some guy named Teoscar Hernandez and noted parking lot enthusiast Reese McGuire

Blue Jays receive: LHP Anthony Kay and RHP Simeon Woods-Richardson
New York Mets receive: RHP Marcus Stroman

Kay was nothing but Woods-Richardson was later used to get Jose Berrios

Blue Jays receive: LHP Robbie Ray and cash
Arizona Diamondbacks receive: LHP Travis Bergen

2020 was rough for Ray but a full season under the Jays coaching staff in 2021 led to a Cy Young and fat contract courtesy of the Mariners.

Blue Jays receive: LHP Steven Matz
New York Mets receive: RHP Sean Reid-Foley, RHP Josh Winckowski, and RHP Yennsy Diaz

All those guys ended up being a waste of space while Matz was great for the one season he was here

Blue Jays receive: RHP Adam Cimber and OF Corey Dickerson
Miami Marlins receive: INF Joe Panik and RHP Andrew McInvale

He got Cimber for literally nothing.

And then the Berrios trade where both of the guys he traded haven't panned out yet.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
His contract is huge for a 4th OF.

He’ll get traded but the question will be how much cash the Jays retain.

Yea, that's true. I am just surprised if the Jays really haggle too much about the cash being retained. There's not that much money left on his deal at this point. But it's not my money.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I think that assumption has to be that there is some flaw with Bloss. Houston knows it and the Jays know it but the various groups that rate prospects don't know it yet. I hope i'm wrong, but I think you have to go into it being suspicious.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr.Funk

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria

Some highlights;

Traded a washed up Francisco Liriano to Houston at the 2016 deadline; Return was some guy named Teoscar Hernandez and noted parking lot enthusiast Reese McGuire

2020 was rough for Ray but a full season under the Jays coaching staff in 2021 led to a Cy Young and fat contract courtesy of the Mariners.

New York Mets receive: RHP Sean Reid-Foley, RHP Josh Winckowski, and RHP Yennsy Diaz

All those guys ended up being a waste of space while Matz was great for the one season he was here

And then the Berrios trade where both of the guys he traded haven't panned out yet.
Can you take your "facts" somewhere else please?... This is the internet, not some place for making rational points and having people persuaded by your compelling rebuttals...jesus man...

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
This feels like a great deadline now. The previous moves all felt like solid/good deals, but I mostly liked the direction (decent young prospects rather than specifically low-ceiling, MLB-ready filler). So pretty good overall, but nothing special.

Then they absolutely crushed it with this move. Added some high-end talent to REALLY boost the system. I couldn't have been more wrong about Kikuchi's value.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think that assumption has to be that there is some flaw with Bloss. Houston knows it and the Jays know it but the various groups that rate prospects don't know it yet. I hope i'm wrong, but I think you have to go into it being suspicious.

Bloss and Loperfido aren’t without warts, but they have the potential to be pretty solid contributors next season. Even Wagner is a projections darling with the plate discipline and exit velo to maintain a high offensive floor (who knows where he sticks defensively though).

Reactions: aingefan

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I assume all three in this trade need to be added to the 40-man. Curious who gets bumped to make room. Loperfido and Wagner should be candidates to join the team shortly.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Some highlights;

Don’t even have the Matt Chapman trade which was fantastic as well.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I assume all three in this trade need to be added to the 40-man. Curious who gets bumped to make room. Loperfido and Wagner should be candidates to join the team shortly.

I think the 40 man has enough spots available? Not sure if Wagner needs to come up yet but I’m sure they can move off of KK/Berroa for Loperfido.

Another question I have is what do they do with Barger now that Loperfido and Clase are in the system. Does he go back to 3B?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Whoa, that's an insane return. Atkins can give away Jansen for free if he's pulling voodoo shit like this. If this is the market please please see what might be out there for every single one of our starters. Can't trade them all but another 1 is reasonable if someone is willing to be this dumb

Reactions: Killer Orcas

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
His contract is huge for a 4th OF.

He’ll get traded but the question will be how much cash the Jays retain.
They'll be a couple million left to cover. That's a lot for you or me but not for these teams. I'm sure we'd eat a little but I think the jays still need some cash from his deal to get under the tax

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I think the 40 man has enough spots available? Not sure if Wagner needs to come up yet but I’m sure they can move off of KK/Berroa for Loperfido.

Another question I have is what do they do with Barger now that Loperfido and Clase are in the system. Does he go back to 3B?

You are right, looks like they have enough room to add them without dropping anyone.

Will be interesting how they divy up playing time if those two join the roster. It’s clear they are going to try and turn this around and compete tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad