Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending)

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
None of these things are meaningful. The problem doesn't lie with any of the this. The teams isn't good enough. Atkins is the one who created the mess. Firing Mattingly, sure, go ahead, it does nothing thoguh. It's actually absurd to think this is a meaningful change. Same for Martinez, I don't have any loyalty to either one of them, but neither of them are the problem.
I'm all for dumping Atkins, but I have a hard time seeing the number of core players whose declines coincide with Mattingly's addition to the staff as some kind of fluke. I think Mattingly is a major problem.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
I'm all for dumping Atkins, but I have a hard time seeing the number of core players whose declines coincide with Mattingly's addition to the staff as some kind of fluke. I think Mattingly is a major problem.
I think the stat guys hold all authority behind the scenes. They would never let a baseball-man decide some kind of huge overarching hitting strategy and they certainly wouldn't let him keep running it with these kinds of results. I think Mattingly was just hired to add some swagger to the coaching staff so they don't lose the respect of the players. He just coaches whatever the stat guys tell him while enjoying a nice salary and a fun job.

Reactions: Nineteen67

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I think the stat guys hold all authority behind the scenes. They would never let a baseball-man decide some kind of huge overarching hitting strategy and they certainly wouldn't let him keep running it with these kinds of results. I think Mattingly was just hired to add some swagger to the coaching staff so they don't lose the respect of the players. He just coaches whatever the stat guys tell him while enjoying a nice salary and a fun job.
Not sure if this is a joke or a serious post.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
There’s probably some merit to it. If you want the job you have to listen to the GM and do what they say in this day and age.
For sure. They likely picked Mattingly because he sold them on his vision or it aligns with how they want to hit. However, 'the stat guys' don't hold all of the authority. Mattingly likely uses analytics(at least I hope) to help with the hitters. He gets the info and does with it as he sees fit.

Since he's been here, how the Jays hit has changed.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
It could go either way these days, but... it has to be a joke, right?

I don't even know how someone would coach based on analytics. You can use stats to determine how well a player is doing, but the hitting coach's job is to adjust the plate approach, stance, etc. That's not stat-based stuff.

On another topic, it's only been about a week, but Nimmala is taking since being moved back to Dunedin.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I couldn’t agree more. Our team has cratered since his arrival. I want him gone asap

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
oh man the front office in TO must be glued at the hips lol no moves , no firings, continued losses. Mind boggling. Shapkins must play a very good political game.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The Jays need to sign Vlad and trade Bichette.

We can move IKF over to SS to replace Bo and trade for a 3B.

This team needs offence, and Vladdy at only 25 will be a good offensive player for another 8-10 years.

Reactions: Dr.Funk

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

It is odd that the hitters on the team have tanked so obviously since Mattingly joined the team. You never see Mattingly and Schneider next to each other in the dugout.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Berrios was pulled in the playoffs because the advance stats nerds decided that he couldn't go past a certain pitch count. It was decided before the game started. I've read a number of articles that talk about how much influence the Blue jays analytic departments have on how the Blue Jays manage their lineup.

oh man the front office in TO must be glued at the hips lol no moves , no firings, continued losses. Mind boggling. Shapkins must play a very good political game.

No moves might be a good thing, what was the last good move Atkins and company made?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Berrios was pulled in the playoffs because the advance stats nerds decided that he couldn't go past a certain pitch count. It was decided before the game started. I've read a number of articles that talk about how much influence the Blue jays analytic departments have on how the Blue Jays manage their lineup.

No moves might be a good thing, what was the last good move Atkins and company made?
Analytics played a role in the decision but from what I have read Schneider has/had the final say.

My main point with my post is analytics isn't going to tell Mattingly what to do 100% of the time. The people in the analytical department will present stats to Mattingly and the other hitting coaches and they will(hopefully) make the necessary changes such as stance, swing path, etc.

Jays are slightly above average with the use of analytics compared to other teams.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast

Embezzling $5M etc I know players didn't make as much money back then BUT I guess he must have blown a lot of his earnings. He will pay for it for the next 6 years behind bars.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Embezzling $5M etc I know players didn't make as much money back then BUT I guess he must have blown a lot of his earnings. He will pay for it for the next 6 years behind bars.
There's crapload of corruption at all levels in South America.

It doesn't surprise me.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Apparently he served all of that already under house arrest?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad