Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending)

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Daily Blue Jays stats of ineptitude:

Jansen 2 for 31
Kiermaier 1 for 18
Springer 4 for 33
Kirk 2 for 21

Needless to say we're getting little to no offence from our catchers. Springer needs a Lazarus resurrection to come to life. Kiermaier is a black hole in the 9 spot.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Jansen 2 for 31
Kiermaier 1 for 18
Springer 4 for 33
Kirk 2 for 21

Needless to say we're getting little to no offence from our catchers. Springer needs a Lazarus resurrection to come to life. Kiermaier is a black hole in the 9 spot.

Jansen really cratered. I didn’t expect him to stay at 1.000 OPS but he has dropped off way too far. I thought he could stay at .780-.810 OPS, and 125-135 OPS+

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There have been worse years 1977 for example where they finished 54- 107, but they were an expansion team and maybe that was expected. The 2019 team was the most disappointing for me where they finished 69-95 and that's when Vladdy debuted and there was a lot of hype and expectations to finish well.

2019 was a pure rebuild season where they hired Montoyo basically just to work with the pile of young guys - Guerrero, Bichette, Jansen, Gurriel, Tellez, Biggio were all in their 1st or 2nd seasons. There were no expectations on that team at all and it actually was a fairly fun year with all the young players coming in and doing well.

1994 was a very disappointing season coming off the two WS wins ... but given the context it certainly wasn't as frustrating as this.

They need to fire Mattingly, at the very least. That add has turned out to be a huge disaster.

Unfortunately, my expectation is that they're going to scapegoat Schneider and that Mattingly will fall upwards into the manager role ... which will be absolutely infuriating if it happens.

Reactions: Discoverer

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
2019 was a pure rebuild season where they hired Montoyo basically just to work with the pile of young guys - Guerrero, Bichette, Jansen, Gurriel, Tellez, Biggio were all in their 1st or 2nd seasons. There were no expectations on that team at all and it actually was a fairly fun year with all the young players coming in and doing well.

1994 was a very disappointing season coming off the two WS wins ... but given the context it certainly wasn't as frustrating as this.

Unfortunately, my expectation is that they're going to scapegoat Schneider and that Mattingly will fall upwards into the manager role ... which will be absolutely infuriating if it happens.

Honestly, this season still doesn't come anywhere close to the disappointment of 2013 so far.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024

Jansen 2 for 31
Kiermaier 1 for 18
Springer 4 for 33
Kirk 2 for 21

Kirk/Jansen being lousy is bad news because there's no other catchers. So one of those bums has to play every night.

As for Kiermayer and Springer those guys should be benched permanently and let the young guys, Varsho and Davis cover the OF. Varsho and Davis have cratered too, but at least provide some power. And defensively are good enough in OF.

Horwitz nd Clement should be everyday players. Barger hit and miss since his bat isnt consistent yet. But he seems like a solid fielder with a gun for an arm.

Problem is if the coach plays all these young guys making some vets sit the pine, it shows to everyone they have waved the white flag on underachievers and guys like Atkins and Shapiro will be shitting bricks it looks bad on them that big money vets are benched or the TV cam shows them sitting in the press box. So just like other sports, you got to keep playing the high priced vets as long as possible (Loui Erickson on Canucks comes to mind). There will be a breaking point, but so far not yet. The easy guys to get rid of like Biggio and Vogelbach are done already. But the bigger fish to ditch are still on the team and crazily wasting good batting slots like Turner and Springer do.

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Kirk/Jansen being lousy is bad news because there's no other catchers. So one of those bums has to play every night.

As for Kiermayer and Springer those guys should be benched permanently and let the young guys, Varsho and Davis cover the OF. Varsho and Davis have cratered too, but at least provide some power. And defensively are good enough in OF.

Horwitz nd Clement should be everyday players. Barger hit and miss since his bat isnt consistent yet. But he seems like a solid fielder with a gun for an arm.

Problem is if the coach plays all these young guys making some vets sit the pine, it shows to everyone they have waved the white flag on underachievers and guys like Atkins and Shapiro will be shitting bricks it looks bad on them that big money vets are benched or the TV cam shows them sitting in the press box. So just like other sports, you got to keep playing the high priced vets as long as possible (Loui Erickson on Canucks comes to mind). There will be a breaking point, but so far not yet. The easy guys to get rid of like Biggio and Vogelbach are done already. But the bigger fish to ditch are still on the team and crazily wasting good batting slots like Turner and Springer do.
KK and Springer is 34 millions on the bench. Certainly not a good look.

Reactions: 647Hockey

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Feels like last year never ended and just continued getting worse, steady going downhill with seemingly constant bad decisions.

Honestly becoming rather unenjoyable to spend time following/watching.
Reminds me of the benning years in van.

I actually really enjoyed last season up until the end. The RISP stuff was frustrating at times but the team had elite pitching and elite defense and won 89 games. If they could have just hit with RISP at the same rate as they did normally, they win 95 games.

Then the absolute mindboggling disaster happened in the playoffs, there was no accountability for any of it, and yeah everything this year has just been a continuation of that.

But as much as this season sucks, this isn't Benning-bad. It's more Nonis-bad. Feels more like weak management than abjectly stupid management.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Honestly, this season still doesn't come anywhere close to the disappointment of 2013 so far.

That season sucked but this season takes it for me. That was just a false start where the team ended up going from 73 to 74 wins. It was disappointing, but given the context of where this team was at in 2021-22, this season is absolutely horrifying. If you would have told me at the end of 2022 that 1.5 seasons later this team would be in last place with one of the worst offenses in MLB and that we still had Bichette/Guerrero unsigned approaching FA, I wouldn't have believed such a clusterf*** was even possible.

KK and Springer is 34 millions on the bench. Certainly not a good look.

Kiermaier should be traded immediately. He's just completely in the way, both in the field and at the plate.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Springer, Kirk and KK in the lineup. 3 guys with an OPS of under 600. Paid cumulatively around 37.5 millions $ which is about the salary of a star player.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I've seen enough

471289cde2490c80f60d5e85bcdfb6da.gif

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
It's obviously a good thing in the bigger picture but one of the only enjoyable things recently has been Addison Barger hitting .350 siince his recall and lashing 105 MPH ropes all over the field. Barger likely headed down since they'd need Berroa to cover the OF.

Why do they need Berroa?

Varsho doesn't appear headed to the IL and if he does then the problem takes care of itself.

Varsho/Schniedier in LF

KK/Varsho/Springer in CF

Springer/Barger/Varsho in RF

Reactions: Discoverer

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Why do they need Berroa?

Varsho doesn't appear headed to the IL and if he does then the problem takes care of itself.

Varsho/Schniedier in LF

KK/Varsho/Springer in CF

Springer/Barger/Varsho in RF

I’m assuming Varsho still isn’t ready in which case they’d only have 3 OF on the roster and one is the converted 2B Schneider.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
To me this is a disaster of a season, one of the worst ever in recent times from a fan point of view (even worse than seasons they had a worse w-l record for the reasons below):

-Terrible offense. As in hockey, if you aren't going to be good, at least be entertaining. Well, they just don't score enough to even be entertaining.

-Below expectations. To me there are 2 things that make a season in any sport fun...1.) win the championship. 2.) beat expectations. Not doing either of those.

-Finding our your superstar player probably aren't really superstars and it doesn't look like that will change.

-Not much to hope for in the future. Not good enough to win now, certainly not challenge for a title. Not rebuilding so there isn't much hope for the future.

This team is the absolute perfect mixture of ingredients needed to get their fans nothing to get excited about for the present, nor the future. Worse place a franchise can be.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
More than any of the things that have actually happened - the bad offseason, or Mattingly and the hitting, or the Springer contract - the biggest failure/problem/issue at the present time is their failure to lock down their superstar players to contract extensions.

This is elementary in today's MLB (and you see a team like Milwaukee locking down their #1 prospect for a decade before he plays an MLB game) and somehow they've let Guerrero/Bichette dangle on short-term deals right up until the point where they can now basically force their way out in the offseason.

If you know you have your stars locked up, this season is just a mis-step. Fire the GM, make a couple big moves, go again. But now we're looking at selling off a bunch of assets at the trade deadline and why in the hell would Bichette/Guerrero want to re-sign this winter coming off a 70-win season knowing that they're a few months away from monster contract offers from competitive teams? And if that's where we're at, it's total rebuild time. And if that's where we're at, Shapiro needs to go to because that falls on him. To be in this position, or even to have a sniff of being in this position given where the team was at in 2022 is inexcusable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad