Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending or maybe not ... )

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Baseball: the longest most drawn out game of inches in existence.
Turn around just 5 losse….like one a month… and they’re in the playoff hunt making a push.
Don’t tell the FO.

And it was this month, had 4 1 run loss games in August (Cubs twice, Oakland and Yankees) and lost a game they were 4-3 vs Baltimore for the pen to blow it. Also blew games to San Fran and Arizona in walkoffs in July.

Could easily be 1-3 GBs of the WC right now.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
And it was this month, had 4 1 run loss games in August (Cubs twice, Oakland and Yankees) and lost a game they were 4-3 vs Baltimore for the pen to blow it. Also blew games to San Fran and Arizona in walkoffs in July.

Could easily be 1-3 GBs of the WC right now.
If they had a bullpen, even as good as last year, they probably would've won many of those 1 run losses and be in a wildcard playoff spot or at least in the race.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
If they had a bullpen, even as good as last year, they probably would've won many of those 1 run losses and be in a wildcard playoff spot or at least in the race.

Agreed and of course they lose when yesterday when im on the WC train.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

A lot of ifs for sure. Over the totality of the season so far, teams like NYY, Baltimore, KC, Minnesota have had less weaknesses/more things go their way. That’s the reality. Can’t dwell on the what ifs. Just gotta improve in those areas of weakness.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Some ugly pitching yesterday down on the farm.
Jake Bloss got hammered for 8er in 1.2ip innings. Hagen Danner gave up 2 in 1.
AA SP Lazaro Estrada got knocked around too - 5er in 3ip.
The day before Trenton Wallace had a rough one, and A+ RP Grayson Thurman gave up 6 in a third.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Some ugly pitching yesterday down on the farm.
Jake Bloss got hammered for 8er in 1.2ip innings. Hagen Danner gave up 2 in 1.
AA SP Lazaro Estrada got knocked around too - 5er in 3ip.
The day before Trenton Wallace had a rough one, and A+ RP Grayson Thurman gave up 6 in a third.

Oooof. Maybe not quite as ready as some had hoped.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Bowden Francis is the first pitcher since at least 1901 to allow no more than 10 hits and 5 walks in a single calendar month (min. 30 IP)​

Source via Stathead. Note that it doesn't include tonight's game yet, where he went 7 innings while allowing just 1 hit and no walks.

Bowden Francis in August: 5 GS, 34.1 IP, 5 R (4 ER), 10 H, 4 BB, 39 K, 1.05 ERA, 0.408 WHIP, .089/.127/.188/.315 slashline against

Im sorry for ever doubting Bassitt's spring training comments.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Now go and get Mitch White back and double down.
Work more magic, Chris.
Let's not. :laugh:

With Francis, the potential was there. He just needed to find that missing ingredient to really start cooking. It's not a guarantee he continues to pitch like this long term, but obviously he found something to fix.

Mitch White on the other hand, just sucks.

Reactions: LeafSadist

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Let's not. :laugh:

With Francis, the potential was there. He just needed to find that missing ingredient to really start cooking. It's not a guarantee he continues to pitch like this long term, but obviously he found something to fix.

Mitch White on the other hand, just sucks.
Lol.
Not in Chris’ eyes.
Either way, he seems like the kinda guy who could be a good pitching lab guy, creative thinker.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Any guesses on who the Jays call up on the 1st?

A few weeks ago I would have said Clase but he has struggled and Roden has taken off. To me, Roden is pretty much a lock to get called up.

Pitching will be interesting but I am thinking it's going to be Danner.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

A few weeks ago I would have said Clase but he has struggled and Roden has taken off. To me, Roden is pretty much a lock to get called up.

Roden would be a really fun addition, so... I'm gonna guess Lukes.

Similarly, Danner would be the only semi-interesting pitching option who's already on the 40-man, so I'm gonna guess... not him. Espino or Cuas or Lucas or something. Maybe it'll be Lukes and Lucas!

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

I had high hopes for Clase and still do. Hopefully he rebounds after an off season with our development team. We could really use a player like him.

Reactions: aingefan

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Roden would be a really fun addition, so... I'm gonna guess Lukes.

Similarly, Danner would be the only semi-interesting pitching option who's already on the 40-man, so I'm gonna guess... not him. Espino or Cuas or Lucas or something. Maybe it'll be Lukes and Lucas!

I’m guessing Eisert to audition for a lefty role out of the pen next year. I’d like to see Fluharty but he’s probably not getting added to the 40 man at this point in time.

Reactions: aingefan

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca

Based on this probably Luis De Los Santos is back up, and the reliever could be anyone (likely someone already on the 40-man).

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Jays 2nd in net WPA added to their team of all sellers at the deadline.
TEAMNET WPA
Washington Nationals+1.60 WPA (0.39 in, -1.21 out)
Toronto Blue Jays+1.25 WPA (0.17 in, -1.08 out)
Colorado Rockies+0.75 WPA (0.25 in, -0.50 out)
Miami Marlins+0.02 WPA (-0.47 in, -0.49 out)
Los Angeles Angels-0.22 WPA (-0.07 in, 0.15 out)
Cincinnati Reds-0.38 WPA (0.07 in, 0.45 out)
Tampa Bay Rays-0.66 WPA (-0.07 in, 0.59 out)
Oakland Athletics-0.85 WPA (-0.06 in, 0.79 out)
Detroit Tigers-1.60 WPA (-0.17 in, 1.43 out)
Chicago White Sox-1.80 WPA (-0.62 in, 1.18 out)

The Nationals, Blue Jays and Rockies not only sent out players who haven't played well since, but also have gotten some immediate returns from the young players they brought back. For Washington, we're mostly talking about Thomas' struggles for Cleveland as opposed to Tena's 135 OPS+ since arriving in D.C.

Toronto has gotten a 128 OPS+ during the first big league stint for Will Wagner, while the struggles of outgoing veterans Garcia (Mariners), Richards (Twins), Turner (Mariners) and Kiner-Falefa (Pirates) have outweighed the positive contributions of Kikuchi (Astros), Jansen (Red Sox), Pearson (Cubs) and Kevin Kiermaier (Dodgers).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad