Prospect Info: Matyas Melovsky (C - #171 Overall - Round - 2024 Draft)

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Yea, I found that quite interesting. A second study that I glanced at that touches more on the psychological side of sports.

View attachment 891793
These are all factors that an extensive team of psychologist could probably determine through draft interviews and testing.
Skimmed it and read what jumped out at me for now but this all fascinating. Save it to keep reading a bit more.

I’m coming around a bit on this and the Graham picks if their thinking is, “let’s help out the AHL team immediately (although I would argue Graham could be back in junior or ECHL) and if we get a player eventually sooner, great”.
Higher floor, low ceiling bottom roster types as over reaction to last season’s lack of depth and getting pushed around.

Don’t agree with that mindset, but I understand especially since it seems like Fitz is not the most patient GM around. Still, the lack of skill in the pipeline is disturbing. Feeling a bit like the Lightning but with no cups.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don't think this is strictly true - so sure, you can invite a guy to development camp, or even try to sign him to an AHL deal, but this gives the Devils control over his rights entirely. Chances are that they don't even sign one of these guys to an NHL deal, which, again, I agree that the Graham pick is terrible, but they were not willing to risk A: them being drafted by someone else B: them falling through the draft and then potentially signing with someone else C: having to sign them to ELCs when they may not warrant it. This also gives both guys the option of going back to junior for an overage season without it counting on an NHL contract, which is also nice.

As an example, Ondrej Palat was drafted by Tampa in the 7th round in 2011 as a double overager, with only 4 picks left to go in the draft. They could've let him pass through the draft possibly, and then competed with other teams to sign him. They didn't sign him to an ELC until the end of training camp that year, seeing enough to justify the investment.

I think drafting one of these guys is totally fine, but two is definitely a mistake. That said, I like having a list and sticking to it - yes, you can sign a guy, but there's no guarantees.

Yeah, I don’t think Melovsky was a bad pick at all. We need centers. He easily could’ve gotten drafted by anyone else.

I wouldn’t bet on us attracting a desirable UFA to our minor system over current top destinations either (Dallas, Seattle, Boston, Colorado, etc).

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Last time a Devils prospect put up 10 points in the WJC was Zach Parise with 11 points, before that was Scot Gomez with 10 points. Melovsky put up 11 points with shit puck luck in 18 minutes a game. How the hell are people criticizing this pick? Because he completely bought into a system with the top Baie-Comeau Drakkar stuck behind a 20/21 year old center? I also checked some boxscores towards the end of the year, he wasn't on PP1.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Last time a Devils prospect put up 10 points in the WJC was Zach Parise with 11 points, before that was Scot Gomez with 10 points. Melovsky put up 11 points with shit puck luck in 18 minutes a game. How the hell are people criticizing this pick? Because he completely bought into a system with the top Baie-Comeau Drakkar stuck behind a 20/21 year old center? I also checked some boxscores towards the end of the year, he wasn't on PP1.
People are complaining because he's a double overager.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Skimmed it and read what jumped out at me for now but this all fascinating. Save it to keep reading a bit more.

I’m coming around a bit on this and the Graham picks if their thinking is, “let’s help out the AHL team immediately (although I would argue Graham could be back in junior or ECHL) and if we get a player eventually sooner, great”.
Higher floor, low ceiling bottom roster types as over reaction to last season’s lack of depth and getting pushed around.

Don’t agree with that mindset, but I understand especially since it seems like Fitz is not the most patient GM around. Still, the lack of skill in the pipeline is disturbing. Feeling a bit like the Lightning but with no cups.
The Lightning take very good care of their farm in Syracuse. The Crunch are always well balanced between offense and defense and are always equipped with gritty guys throughout the lineup. You never have to worry about them contending for a playoff spot.

All of this is true no matter how many prospects they do or don't have on the roster. They give them good players. There is no reason for the Devils not to do the same.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
The Miami Heat draft overagers all the time - theres value in players closer to coming over, especially in later rounds where ceiling is highly subjective

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
This guy is a gamer and I believe in him. He's smooth and deceptive. I'm surprised he wasn't taken earlier after his WJC performance. I remember seeing Sharangovich during the WJC and thinking he'd be an NHL player. Just his style. I see the same with Melovsky. Not saying they play the same way but they just have that "it" about them when they're on the ice.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
This guy is a gamer and I believe in him. He's smooth and deceptive. I'm surprised he wasn't taken earlier after his WJC performance. I remember seeing Sharangovich during the WJC and thinking he'd be an NHL player. Just his style. I see the same with Melovsky. Not saying they play the same way but they just have that "it" about them when they're on the ice.
So, this kid is a 20-yr-old selection and is currently not signed for '24-25. If he were a Canadian Jr. he could be signed and sent to the AHL. As a European he has no age limits to turn pro here anyways. Only pointing out how he would compare to a Canadian prospect.

The Comets need centers and the Devils need to be developing them.

Couldn't this kid get signed and get that development going? Better an actual prospect at #4 center than Filip Engaras, no? Round 6 selection has no bearing on my point. If he needs more work, let him play in Adirondack and work his way to the AHL this year or next.

You can see I am looking under any rock to get centers into the system and doubt Fitz has any desire to have Matyas follow this path. If that's the case, then get some RFA centers not qualified, UFA centers, or get your Europen scouts to identify guys that can be lured out of Europe for a decent price onto the Utica roster!

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
So, this kid is a 20-yr-old selection and is currently not signed for '24-25. If he were a Canadian Jr. he could be signed and sent to the AHL. As a European he has no age limits to turn pro here anyways. Only pointing out how he would compare to a Canadian prospect.

The Comets need centers and the Devils need to be developing them.

Couldn't this kid get signed and get that development going? Better an actual prospect at #4 center than Filip Engaras, no? Round 6 selection has no bearing on my point. If he needs more work, let him play in Adirondack and work his way to the AHL this year or next.

You can see I am looking under any rock to get centers into the system and doubt Fitz has any desire to have Matyas follow this path. If that's the case, then get some RFA centers not qualified, UFA centers, or get your Europen scouts to identify guys that can be lured out of Europe for a decent price onto the Utica roster!
He will 100% get signed before the season. These things usually happen quickly after rookie camps.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
He will 100% get signed before the season. These things usually happen quickly after rookie camps.
Looking forward to this signing and hope MaCKinnon and Fitz find a couple more centers for the Comets since they have no centers in Utica at the moment that would be of much help if callup centers are needed in NJ.

You saw Dowling and Bowers last season and they were of little help. At the moment they are the best Utica has to offer once again. It's only July 7 and a good number of the top AHL free agent centers are already signed by other NHL franchises for their farms. The Devils always drag their feet and that's why their center strength is always s**t compared to their opponents.

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Looking forward to this signing and hope MaCKinnon and Fitz find a couple more centers for the Comets since they have no centers in Utica at the moment that would be of much help if callup centers are needed in NJ.

You saw Dowling and Bowers last season and they were of little help. At the moment they are the best Utica has to offer once again. It's only July 7 and a good number of the top AHL free agent centers are already signed by other NHL franchises for their farms. The Devils always drag their feet and that's why their center strength is always s**t compared to their opponents.
Little consolation but Max Graham will also get signed and he is a center.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Little consolation but Max Graham will also get signed and he is a center.

This is not a guarantee. It's been a while since the Devils drafted overagers out of junior but the Devils never signed Myles Bell to an ELC and only signed Graham Black after his overage season. I'd say Melovsky being signed is much more likely, but it's not impossible that the Devils let him return to junior for a season or play overseas, and I think Graham is more likely to spend another year in junior.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
This is not a guarantee. It's been a while since the Devils drafted overagers out of junior but the Devils never signed Myles Bell to an ELC and only signed Graham Black after his overage season. I'd say Melovsky being signed is much more likely, but it's not impossible that the Devils let him return to junior for a season or play overseas, and I think Graham is more likely to spend another year in junior.
As you are aware, completely different organization. It all depends what development the player needs, Graham Black was smaller with speed, an extra year to grow and to gain confidence offensively would ultimately bring him closer to the role he would play at the next level.

Max Graham, is ready physically and is pretty much topped out offensively at the CHL level. I think they want to continue developing his defense and cycle offense at the pro level. ECHL start is likely.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Just something I found interesting regarding Melovsky's headline stats.

In 22-23, his first in the CHL, he was a point below a ppg with 58 points in 59 games. But of those 58 points, 52 were assists. In general I don't love guys who are so heavy in assists, but to be nearly an assist per game says something, in a positive way, about a players game.

His impressive 11 points in 7 games at the WJC was also very assists heavy with 10 of those points being helpers.

42 assists in 53 this past season in the CHL, so not as drastic, but the goal total jumped from 6 to 18, which is nice.

I don't really know his game, so this may be a reach, and at this point I don't really like comparing anyone to our 2016 1st round pick, but if Melovsky is a big bodied, good defensive center who creates pretty well for others but needs improvement in the shooting department it does sound pretty similar, although I will doubt he skates as well as that guy did.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
As you are aware, completely different organization. It all depends what development the player needs, Graham Black was smaller with speed, an extra year to grow and to gain confidence offensively would ultimately bring him closer to the role he would play at the next level.

Max Graham, is ready physically and is pretty much topped out offensively at the CHL level. I think they want to continue developing his defense and cycle offense at the pro level. ECHL start is likely.

Right - it is also possible that both are brought to the pros without them signing ELCs. If the Devils can hold off on either's waiver clock, especially Graham's, it would be nice, though.

Reactions: devilsblood

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Right - it is also possible that both are brought to the pros without them signing ELCs. If the Devils can hold off on either's waiver clock, especially Graham's, it would be nice, though.
How common is this amongst drafted players?

How does that work in terms of retaining rights?

The idea of sending the 20 year old 6'3" 200 lb pugilist back to juniors though? Sounds a little unfair.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
How common is this amongst drafted players?

How does that work in terms of retaining rights?

The idea of sending the 20 year old 6'3" 200 lb pugilist back to juniors though? Sounds a little unfair.

It's not common, but it's also not common to draft double overage players. The Devils did it with Myles Bell, signing him to an AHL deal in 2014 - he flamed out in the ECHL and was gone after a season. They also signed Nikita Popugayev to an AHL deal when the Devils still had his rights. Evan Cormier's rights lapsed, but after the organization was desperate for goalies and he was performing well in Canada's university league, he was signed to an AHL deal before they gave him an ELC in February 2019. I'm pretty sure they did it with Corbin McPherson too but I'm too lazy to look it up.

The Devils have their rights until June 1, 2026, regardless.

The Devils are at 46 contracts if they re-sign all their RFAs and make no more acquisitions. I don't think signing both players to ELCs is prudent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad