Prospect Info: 2024 Round 3, #85 Overall - RW Kasper Pikkarainen

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

From @StevenToddIves :
RW Kasper Pikkarainen, TPS U20, FIN JR.
When a forward can't put up PPG numbers in Finnish juniors despite a sizable size advantage, he tends to get virtually ignored by much of the draft community. Personally, I initially watched Pikkarainen because he's the son of Ilkka Pikkarainen, whom I remembered from his brief cup of coffee in the NHL with the Devils way back in 2009-10. And I found a lot of things about Kasper Pikkarainen which lead me to believe there may be some very interesting potential.

First off, it's important to note that despite Pikkarainen's man-size (6'3-195) and good strength, he's one of the youngest players in the 2024 draft with an August 2006 birthday. He's still 17. Also, he has that combination of skating and size which cannot be taught. Pikkarainen has multiple plus abilities in his tool kit -- very soft hands, very good mobility, a hard shot. His passing vision is tough to gauge because he's just saw raw -- I've seen him make high-end passes, but I've also seen him make poor and rushed decisions with the puck.

Pikkarainen is not a proactively physical player, but I'd say he's on the physical side and we might see this improve. I've seen him overpower defenders two and three years older, and I think once he realizes how strong he has the capacity to become he'll assert himself more in that respect.

Similarly, though I'd say his compete level is good, his hockey IQ is tough to get a finger on. Although he is an NHL legacy, he plays with a degree of uncertainty as if he's often asking himself if what he's doing is the right thing to do. But again, he's also capable of some plays where, taken out of context, you'd think he will make the pros -- and his combination of skating, hands and size absolutely lends itself to that.

Though this is one of the rawer players in the draft and there's absolutely a chance he does not develop the way you want and never ends up in North America, I'd say the potential pay-off is pretty good with a player like Kasper Pikkarainen. This is definitely the type of player worth swinging for in Rounds 5-7 if he's still on the board.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
“My skating has to improve,” Pikkrainen remarked when asked what he feels he needs to work on.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I like Pikkarainen. He's a big mobile kid with physicality and some upside, and he's definitely projectable to a bottom 6 role. He's one of the younger players in the class, so he may have a higher development curve ahead of him.

Because of his rawness, Pikkarainen was a guy I would have liked better in the 4th round, but the Devils did not have a pick in the 4th round. So, I think while it was not the ideal pick (some more talented players were drafted after him) it was still a decent one.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I like Pikkarainen. He's a big mobile kid with physicality and some upside, and he's definitely projectable to a bottom 6 role. He's one of the younger players in the class, so he may have a higher development curve ahead of him.

Because of his rawness, Pikkarainen was a guy I would have liked better in the 4th round, but the Devils did not have a pick in the 4th round. So, I think while it was not the ideal pick (some more talented players were drafted after him) it was still a decent one.
I think NJ knew they were reaching on him. They traded down twice before taking him.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I forgot Pikkarainen was even old enough to have a kid that's now old enough to be drafted.

I was thinking he was like Bergfors/Zharkov age, which would have been only 17-18 when his son was born.

Then I remembered he was in his late 20s when he came over to play in the NHL and was originally drafted by us in the early 00s.

I'll never forget Lou hyping us about the mystery player we were signing later in the week. And it was him. And I remember him scoring a weak ass goal on Carey Price, which might have been the only one he ever scored in his NHL career.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
When you hear people talk project picks, Pikkarainen is the exact type of player they’re typically referring to. His game is very raw, and I can’t stress that enough, but he brings a ton of desirable attributes to the table, and we just have to hope they can combine to form a really solid, yet also unique, middle 6 winger.

Characterizing Pikkarainen’s game is difficult. On one hand, coming in at 6’3” 197lb and as the son of Ilkka, he’s exactly what you’d expect: mean, physical, and annoying. Pikkarainen loves to play the body and get under the opposition’s skin. He’s chippy, competitive, and very aggressive. He’s more than willing to duke it out with other tough guys, and he loves to mix it up after the whistle.

That said, there’s a different side of him, too. On the complete opposite side of the spectrum, Pikkarainen can flash some incredibly high-end playmaking vision and ability. Again, this is only at times, and I don’t mean to imply every viewing has these moments, but Pikkarainen is capable of threading cross-ice passes through traffic with near perfect timing and placement. He’s also very good at drawing defenders toward him and making quick, small ice passes to facilitate play in transition. His vision, even while under pressure, is impressive, and although he’s overzealous with what he attempts at this point, I think it’s unfair to the player to only project him as a bottom 6 energy option.

Consistent across all viewings was his defensive contributions. Pikkarainen displays a great willingness to support his defenders and drop back to take away lanes and pressure puck carriers. He’s effective in puck battles, willing to dig pucks out of the corner, and great at supporting along the boards. His defensive stick placement and ability to identify and cut off lanes are both very good. I don’t mean to imply he’s elite in his own zone, there are definitely moments when he can be caught drifting out of position, but generally speaking he’s a safe enough 200ft deployment.

Let’s go back to the word raw for a minute. To me, raw basically just means not good, but you like the idea of what you’re seeing. In Pikkarainen’s case, I think that’s pretty true for a lot of viewings. It’s important to keep in mind he’s one of the younger players in the class, which by no means explains everything, but is certainly a component of things. That said, he does have his fair share of deficiencies to discuss.

First, and probably more aggravating for me than an outright issue, is the player will definitely float around and spectate play at times. I don’t mean to suggest he isn’t engaged or that I doubt his intensity, both of those are actually strengths of his game, but he’s not moving his feet nearly enough at times, and I think it takes away from how consistently effective he can be. He also doesn’t always have his stick on the ice in these instances either, only furthering the problem.

Hand-in-hand with the aforementioned issue, his forechecking game, while still likely a long-term strength, is not always consistently applied. At his best, he employs a lot of proactive contact and stickchecks to pressure defenders into turnovers. His small area play along the boards is effective, and he displays a surprising level of evasion in the corners. The problem, though, is there are definitely times when he’s content to let play come to him, and his positioning isn’t always offering his linemates the greatest passing options. Additionally, even when he is forechecking, his handling can be sloppy, and he seems to struggle to move his feet and stick at the same time.

His skating is a bit weird, too, but it’s not necessarily bad for his size. He can make cuts along the boards, and he’s more explosive than his frame would suggest, but he doesn’t always generate enough power in his stride, he somewhat lacks balance and can be pushed off the puck, and he isn’t particularly agile. The greater problem is that, in order to project his game up the lineup, and again I do believe there’s enough underlying skill that it could happen, he’ll need to be huffing it pretty much at all times, as well as much better on his edges than he currently is.

While this probably sounds more negative than I intended for it to be, it’s important to define just how much work needs to go into the player for him to hit. His shot is heavy and reasonably accurate, his decisions with the puck are fine, his interior focus is typically good, but as has been a theme in this write-up, his viewings can fluctuate from extremely bland and passive, to dominant and capable of influencing the game in a multitude of ways.

With skating improvements and a bit more consistency, I think it’s possible Pikkarainen can play in a bottom 6 role, but I think it sells the player short to suggest that’s his ultimate upside. He shows very impressive playmaking vision that I trust can keep up with higher end, elite level talent. I don’t think it’s out of the question Pikkarainen could serve as the big body/dirty worky guy on a scoring line, I just don’t think we’re anywhere close to that being a likely outcome right now. I had Pikkarainen ranked exactly in this range, in fact only 3 picks back of where he was taken, and while there were a number of other swings I would have taken in this position, I’m completely on board with the project.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
When you hear people talk project picks, Pikkarainen is the exact type of player they’re typically referring to. His game is very raw, and I can’t stress that enough, but he brings a ton of desirable attributes to the table, and we just have to hope they can combine to form a really solid, yet also unique, middle 6 winger.

Characterizing Pikkarainen’s game is difficult. On one hand, coming in at 6’3” 197lb and as the son of Ilkka, he’s exactly what you’d expect: mean, physical, and annoying. Pikkarainen loves to play the body and get under the opposition’s skin. He’s chippy, competitive, and very aggressive. He’s more than willing to duke it out with other tough guys, and he loves to mix it up after the whistle.

That said, there’s a different side of him, too. On the complete opposite side of the spectrum, Pikkarainen can flash some incredibly high-end playmaking vision and ability. Again, this is only at times, and I don’t mean to imply every viewing has these moments, but Pikkarainen is capable of threading cross-ice passes through traffic with near perfect timing and placement. He’s also very good at drawing defenders toward him and making quick, small ice passes to facilitate play in transition. His vision, even while under pressure, is impressive, and although he’s overzealous with what he attempts at this point, I think it’s unfair to the player to only project him as a bottom 6 energy option.

Consistent across all viewings was his defensive contributions. Pikkarainen displays a great willingness to support his defenders and drop back to take away lanes and pressure puck carriers. He’s effective in puck battles, willing to dig pucks out of the corner, and great at supporting along the boards. His defensive stick placement and ability to identify and cut off lanes are both very good. I don’t mean to imply he’s elite in his own zone, there are definitely moments when he can be caught drifting out of position, but generally speaking he’s a safe enough 200ft deployment.

Let’s go back to the word raw for a minute. To me, raw basically just means not good, but you like the idea of what you’re seeing. In Pikkarainen’s case, I think that’s pretty true for a lot of viewings. It’s important to keep in mind he’s one of the younger players in the class, which by no means explains everything, but is certainly a component of things. That said, he does have his fair share of deficiencies to discuss.

First, and probably more aggravating for me than an outright issue, is the player will definitely float around and spectate play at times. I don’t mean to suggest he isn’t engaged or that I doubt his intensity, both of those are actually strengths of his game, but he’s not moving his feet nearly enough at times, and I think it takes away from how consistently effective he can be. He also doesn’t always have his stick on the ice in these instances either, only furthering the problem.

Hand-in-hand with the aforementioned issue, his forechecking game, while still likely a long-term strength, is not always consistently applied. At his best, he employs a lot of proactive contact and stickchecks to pressure defenders into turnovers. His small area play along the boards is effective, and he displays a surprising level of evasion in the corners. The problem, though, is there are definitely times when he’s content to let play come to him, and his positioning isn’t always offering his linemates the greatest passing options. Additionally, even when he is forechecking, his handling can be sloppy, and he seems to struggle to move his feet and stick at the same time.

His skating is a bit weird, too, but it’s not necessarily bad for his size. He can make cuts along the boards, and he’s more explosive than his frame would suggest, but he doesn’t always generate enough power in his stride, he somewhat lacks balance and can be pushed off the puck, and he isn’t particularly agile. The greater problem is that, in order to project his game up the lineup, and again I do believe there’s enough underlying skill that it could happen, he’ll need to be huffing it pretty much at all times, as well as much better on his edges than he currently is.

While this probably sounds more negative than I intended for it to be, it’s important to define just how much work needs to go into the player for him to hit. His shot is heavy and reasonably accurate, his decisions with the puck are fine, his interior focus is typically good, but as has been a theme in this write-up, his viewings can fluctuate from extremely bland and passive, to dominant and capable of influencing the game in a multitude of ways.

With skating improvements and a bit more consistency, I think it’s possible Pikkarainen can play in a bottom 6 role, but I think it sells the player short to suggest that’s his ultimate upside. He shows very impressive playmaking vision that I trust can keep up with higher end, elite level talent. I don’t think it’s out of the question Pikkarainen could serve as the big body/dirty worky guy on a scoring line, I just don’t think we’re anywhere close to that being a likely outcome right now. I had Pikkarainen ranked exactly in this range, in fact only 3 picks back of where he was taken, and while there were a number of other swings I would have taken in this position, I’m completely on board with the project.
Great take, thanks Evan.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Unfortunately I'm not quite as positive about this pick as some of you. I think aside from the good legacy vibes, we are looking at a mid6 AHL regular who will finally bounce back to europe when he hits 25 or so. I predict he won't play a single NHL game.

For whatever reason Finns aren't good at developing physical power forwards despite their average height being quite tall. I think there are few strong with the puck guys like Rantanen, but I don't think I can name a single hard hitting Finn in the history of the NHL. Maybe the Ruutu brothers, but even Tuomo was that for only few years and then injuries and surgeries made him soft. Even huge defencemen like Aki Berg or former Devil Olli Malmivaara played like much smaller men. Maybe there's something about finnish coaching that doesn't encourage big hits. The leagues are much softer. There were big injuries in the 90s, at least one guy was paralyzed for life, so I think they've tried to reduce physicality and hitting ever since.

So for that reason I have a hard time seeing him as this big hitting machine like some of the scouting reports are painting. Add in lacking offensive skill without much upside and I think we are looking at "just a guy" at AHL level. If he becomes an NHL regular I'd be very surprised, but there hasn't been nearly enough finns in the Devils so I'm obviously rooting for him to take some big unexpected steps forward.

Reactions: evnted

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
When we first learned about Pikkarainen's son being in the draft it was good for lols to talk about getting him but to actually draft him and do it in the third round with guys like Shuravin on the board is a head scratcher.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
When we first learned about Pikkarainen's son being in the draft it was good for lols to talk about getting him but to actually draft him and do it in the third round with guys like Shuravin on the board is a head scratcher.
How many cracks did teams have at Shuravin and pass on him? For some reason he went fairly late for a guy who checks all the boxes. Something was off there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad