Prospect Info: 2024 Round 1, #10 Overall - LD Anton Silayev

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Watching EP's March ranking discussion (Silayev talk starts 21:09) and Mitch Brown said he really like Silayev's retrievals and breaking pucks out on smaller ice but on bigger ice he generally is flinging pucks around. I think his ability to make plays under pressure and break pucks out is the one thing that would really "make or break" him. It's the difference from him ending up as a dominant defensive player who forces one and dones and keeps the puck away from his own zone. OR him being a defender who is still great at actively shutting guys down but D zone turnovers and failed breakouts would result in him having to keep defending rather killing plays and moving things the other way

He moves the puck very quickly. Sometimes it looks great when he makes a good quick first pass right away. Other times if there isn’t an immediate obvious option he’s just throwing the puck somewhere which is a concern of mine.

He needs to be able to be poised, hang onto picks and find plays that aren’t immediately open.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
He moves the puck very quickly. Sometimes it looks great when he makes a good quick first pass right away. Other times if there isn’t an immediate obvious option he’s just throwing the puck somewhere which is a concern of mine.

He needs to be able to be poised, hang onto picks and find plays that aren’t immediately open.

Yeah he pretty much always moves the puck to his first option regardless of if that guy is the right option and if the guy is open.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Yeah he pretty much always moves the puck to his first option regardless of if that guy is the right option and if the guy is open.
Ya not something I’m a fan of. Would rather have a defensemen who’s holding onto pucks slightly too long looking for better options and you have to coach him to be a bit simpler sometimes than a dman who’s always getting rid of pucks right away and you have to get him more comfortable with holding onto it a bit longer when necessary.

That’s how you end up with somehow who just chucks pucks up the wall or rims it every time.

Reactions: bossram

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Ya not something I’m a fan of. Would rather have a defensemen who’s holding onto pucks slightly too long looking for better options and you have to coach him to be a bit simpler sometimes than a dman who’s always getting rid of pucks right away and you have to get him more comfortable with holding onto it a bit longer when necessary.

That’s how you end up with somehow who just chucks pucks up the wall or rims it every time.
KHL is extremely competitive, and a teenager is surely more concerned with not screwing up for his older teammates and coaches than a USHLer might be.

Silayev is not a Buium-esque elite IQ guy, but he's really smart and has shown a propensity for generally heady puck decisions. I think a couple of years of experience and Larionov coaching will do wonders for him.

I'd say Silayev is certainly better at the same age than Chara. He still has a lot to learn but so does everyone in the NHL draft, from the 1st overall pick to a 7th rounder.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
KHL is extremely competitive, and a teenager is surely more concerned with not screwing up for his older teammates and coaches than a USHLer might be.

Silayev is not a Buium-esque elite IQ guy, but he's really smart and has shown a propensity for generally heady puck decisions. I think a couple of years of experience and Larionov coaching will do wonders for him.

I'd say Silayev is certainly better at the same age than Chara. He still has a lot to learn but so does everyone in the NHL draft, from the 1st overall pick to a 7th rounder.
Yeah, it's a lot easier to look good with the puck on your stick when you're playing against junior level competition vs playing in the KHL. Doesn't mean it's not an area to improve upon in his game but I'd imagine he would have been a lot more confident with the puck on his stick if he spent the entire year in the MHL instead of one the of the best leagues in the world.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Yeah, it's a lot easier to look good with the puck on your stick when you're playing against junior level competition vs playing in the KHL. Doesn't mean it's not an area to improve upon in his game but I'd imagine he would have been a lot more confident with the puck on his stick if he spent the entire year in the MHL instead of one the of the best leagues in the world.

I mean tbf he was still that same more conservative guy at the end of the year going back down to the MHL after playing in the KHL all year. Generally guys open up going back down to a lower level but he didn't.

Reactions: bossram

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Martin was f***ing incredible and hugely underrated. If he played today I think people would recognize him as far better than he’s currently perceived to be. He was an analytical darling

He was killing it before he was injured for the year in 2009-10. Injuries hurt his reputation in Pittsburgh too but he was a great UFA signing for them.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Was our 3rd head coach of the year after the previous two got fired. I don’t remember exactly but I think he wanted the D scoring more and also felt like the forwards weren’t tipping pucks and being wimps out front.

So he told us to start firing them at their heads. I guess they’re either gonna start going in or the forwards were gonna find a way to tip them.

A lot of pissed of forwards when we started pegging them with shots in practice and they were trying to duck out of the way but we just told them the coach was standing behind us telling us to.
…how old were you?

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Can’t wait to see this guy in development camp. That’s a great early sign.

Also can’t wait to see him with us. 2 years and he comes over is fine by me. Let him develop in a competitive and strong environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Forge and evnted

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Hey, just wanted to come in and bless you all with my favourite Silayev quote:

"if one goes soft, he should quit hockey [...] I am a calm and smiley person in everyday life. But when I take the ice, I am a hard man."
-Anton Silayev
i want him to attend main camp and start walking up to each player and saying “you soft, you should quit.” At the very least do it at rookie camp.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Going back and re-reading Bob MacKenzie's write-up in his final draft rankings and can't help but think we really lucked out that he dropped. Seems like a perfect fit for the Devils - not only in terms of need, but being probably the BPA at the 10 spot and someone that seemed unlikely to fall that much.

I was rooting for Dickinson or Buium at the time...but largely because I didn't realize that Silayev was still on the board. I didn't bother reading up that much on him as every projection and mock draft I saw had him going much earlier.

A few of the best quotes from Bob...

Levshunov is certainly the consensus top defenceman. He was the only prospect other than Demidov to get more than one second-place vote. Demidov had six; Levshunov had three; Silayev had one. Eight of 10 scouts had Levshunov in the top five; the two who had him outside the top five ranked him six and seven.

And yet, for all that, six of the 10 scouts did not have Levshunov as the No. 1 defenceman on their list. Four did, the same number that had Silayev as the top blueliner. Two more identified Saginaw Spirit offensive dynamo Zayne Parekh as their No. 1.
By the time you distill all those numbers, the differences between the trio of Dickinson, Buium and Parekh are minimal. Levshunov and Silayev appear to be in a consensus tier just above the other three, but there are varying degrees of crossover with that group of five blue-chippers.
Silayev is repeatedly referred to as a “unicorn.”

There are no 6-foot-7 defencemen in this draft who move as well as him. There aren’t many 6-foot-7 defencemen on the planet who skate as well as this behemoth. He started the KHL season with a flourish, getting eight points in eight games, but his offensive output really dried up as the season wore on. The early comparisons to Victor Hedman have mostly faded, but the excitement over his future NHL prospects have not.

“At the end of the day, all that really matters is that he’s a 17-year-old who played regularly in the KHL and played well and showed he has all the tools be a shutdown NHL defender who can still skate and carry or pass a puck up the ice,” said a scout. “That’s a unicorn.”

“He’s going to be an elite defender,” another scout said. “A huge minute muncher. That and that alone provides huge value, but he’s not without some offensive ability, but it’s most definitely secondary.”

It doesn’t hurt that Silayev was coached by Hall of Famer Igor Larionov, who is accessible and well connected with NHL GMs, scouts and executive..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad