GDT: 2024 Rookie Tournament

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
If it was an isolated incident where all these injuries were happening in the Sens care, I “may” buy that

It has been happening:
- Before he was drafted with the NTDP
- In the NCAA with BU
- In the OHL with Ottawa
- In the World Juniors with Team USA
- In the AHL with Belleville

Regardless of who he has been playing with, the lack of development or training staff in Ottawa had nothing to do with him getting injured.

It remains to be seen if the needed improvements in those areas are going to help, but I’d have very serious doubts.
A more competent and comprehensive athletic staff would be more proactive in identifying areas of concern with players, and would be quicker to course correct, which would decrease the frequency and severity of injuries.

Some players are more injury prone than others and those players in particular would benefit from a more competent and proactive staff.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If it was an isolated incident where all these injuries were happening in the Sens care, I “may” buy that

It has been happening:
- Before he was drafted with the NTDP
- In the NCAA with BU
- In the OHL with Ottawa
- In the World Juniors with Team USA
- In the AHL with Belleville

Regardless of who he has been playing with, the lack of development or training staff in Ottawa had nothing to do with him getting injured.

It remains to be seen if the needed improvements in those areas are going to help, but I’d have very serious doubts.
Ya I wasn't really meaning to speak about it wrt to Boucher specifically even though that was in the post I quoted. Just adding that in general, Andlauer identified this as a significant shortfall for both facilities and staff being embarrassingly barebones under the previous regime and was overhauled this summer. None of which is shocking considering how poorly things were ran.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
IN the DAN BOYD interview , I m not sure if I have understand correctly. Is he said we have expect that with Boucher pick, in the 2 - 3 years following the pick. People would have said , how this kid was not pick earlier
Mentioned Donovan is a guy they thought should have gone earlier

Only thing said about Boucher was that he competes hard and he hopes he's 100% healthy to play games, there's no way any scout would say that about Boucher, that would put a very bad target on that scouts back. If it was said in 2021 it was a very, very unwise/uneducated thing to say as well for any scout

Also mentioned they generally don't bring AHL guys to the tournament, which makes sense as the guys who have been invited from the AHL last year aren't established full time AHLer's yet (Boucher/Pettersson/Daout/Halliday)

Reactions: Crosside

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
IN the DAN BOYD interview , I m not sure if I have understand correctly. Is he said we have expect that with Boucher pick, in the 2 - 3 years following the pick. People would have said , how this kid was not pick earlier
Are you referring to the interview posted today or some interview from after the 2021 draft?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Don Boyd, in his TSN1200 interview, said they still see the same upside in Boucher as they did when they drafted him and that he just needs to get reps in playing games.

It likely helps a prospect like Boucher a lot that Andlauer is now the owner and there is competent management in place. Look how much bigger the athletic staff of trainers and therapists are. There is a much better chance of keeping players healthy than the bare bones staff the previous management team and ownership had in place.

Boucher says he is fully healthy now and he has made adjustments in his training methods, now he has a chance to show what he can do. It is certainly a very big year for him and it is important that he takes a big step forward in development.
I'll be honest, I thought that while we definitely reached for Boucher, I liked the qualities he brought, good skater, physical, good shot, I didn't expect he'd ever be more than a 30 pts guy that hit to hurt, but if he managed to hit that potential it's a nice piece to have. If they think that is still possible and health issues are behind him, that's great. I have my doubts but they obviously have more insight than I do.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Summary:

Hard to play against
Hard to play against
Hard to play against

"Hard to play against" to these guys means physicality and intensity, overall effectiveness be damned.

If you asked these guys they'd honestly tell you a D like Erik Gudbranson is harder to play against than Dylan DeMelo, even though the latter is far more effective at defending and if you asked who NHL forwards would prefer to be matched up against, it'd undoubtedly be the former.

Dinosaurs.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Today, I was thinking, he said if Boucher would have be healthy all this year after the draft.
You can listen to it again at the 8:55 mark if you want to hear the exact words he used:
Boyd: Tyler Boucher still has plenty of time to develop

Boyd was asked what Boucher can still accomplish given it has been 3 years since he was drafted. Boyd responded saying that they still think he can accomplish what they thought he was capable of accomplishing when they drafted him. That it is a matter of playing games and getting reps in. That they hope his injury issues are behind him so that he can start getting those reps, gaining that experience and hopefully becoming what they thought, and still do think, he is capable of becoming.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Eliasson has gained 15+ lbs since draft day??
Very interested to see how this giant progresses.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
"Hard to play against" to these guys means physicality and intensity, overall effectiveness be damned.

If you asked these guys they'd honestly tell you a D like Erik Gudbranson is harder to play against than Dylan DeMelo, even though the latter is far more effective at defending and if you asked who NHL forwards would prefer to be matched up against, it'd undoubtedly be the former.

Dinosaurs.
You have more options on defense than either Gudbranson or DeMelo though. It's possible to have defensemen that are both hard to play against but can actually skate and move the puck at a respectable level, and ideally those are the kind of defensemen you want to build your blueline with.

Reactions: aragorn

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Xavier Bourgault?
Where he at?
Boyd mentioned they don’t like bringing AHL players, regardless of age.

The guys we have from the AHL; Boucher, Pettersson, Daoust and Halliday, haven’t played, or aren’t considered to have been full time AHL players yet.

Ostapchuk and Bourgoult, same draft as Boucher for example, are considered to be AHL guys because they’ve proven to be AHL players thus far.

Reactions: Icelevel

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's good to hear they want to be harder to play against, that should reduce the goals against.

Check out what they say about Boucher at around 25:30.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Dinosaurs.
The most penalized team in hockey just won the Stanley Cup & Vegas won the cup with the biggest defence in the NHL. Maybe it's you that is the dinosaur & can't see how the game has changed over the last number of yrs. Being harder to play against means the team is playing good defensively & that is exactly what this team needs to reduce goals against & the coaches (the experts) have said as much.

Reactions: LiseL

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
A more competent and comprehensive athletic staff would be more proactive in identifying areas of concern with players, and would be quicker to course correct, which would decrease the frequency and severity of injuries.

Some players are more injury prone than others and those players in particular would benefit from a more competent and proactive staff.

Sounds similar to a newspaper piece I read many years ago that said preventive medicine should cost less. It turned out to cost more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad