GDT: 2024 Rookie Tournament

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

New Ed

Sep 26, 2021
IMG_5480.jpeg

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Makes sense Ostapchuk isn't considered a prospect for them, seems like anyone with a chance at the roster was kept off

Ostapchuk and Kleven are really the only guys of age who could be participating that fit that description going back to 2020, to be fair

Reactions: aragorn

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Makes sense Ostapchuk isn't considered a prospect for them, seems like anyone with a chance at the roster was kept off

Ostapchuk and Kleven are really the only guys of age who could be participating that fit that description going back to 2020, to be fair
I was going to say! There are more amateur tryouts than Senators prospects at F, and it is close to 50/50 for the entire squad.

What about Xavier Bourgault, though? I am surprised he isn't there.

Halliday is going to have to do a lot of heavy lifting with that group.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I was going to say! There are more amateur tryouts than Senators prospects at F, and it is close to 50/50 for the entire squad.

What about Xavier Bourgault, though? I am surprised he isn't there.

Halliday is going to have to do a lot of heavy lifting with that group.
Seems to be skaters who are U-20 or aren't everyday proven AHLer's as of yet, those who have proven to be of at least AHL quality have been given the tournament off.

It's always ~50/50 split with a few grocery sticks to fill out the roster

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Seems to be skaters who are U-20 or aren't everyday proven AHLer's as of yet, those who have proven to be of at least AHL quality have been given the tournament off.

It's always ~50/50 split with a few grocery sticks to fill out the roster
You know, I have never noticed that it was such a big split before. I know we had some filler, but I thought we would have a lot more of "our" players in there. Now I need to go back and look.

It certainly could also be the state of our prospect pool as well. We have a lot of college kids, too.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You know, I have never noticed that it was such a big split before. I know we had some filler, but I thought we would have a lot more of "our" players in there. Now I need to go back and look.

It certainly could also be the state of our prospect pool as well. We have a lot of college kids, too.
Sens have had a very large presence in the USHL/NTDP/JR.A, those guys aren't allowed to participate because of their NCAA commitments. Their past 4 draftes they only have 11 guys who could realistically play, and that's including Ostapchuk. Not sure any of the guys from 2020 in their D+5 arew guys you want in a rooklie tournament.

Only guys drafted out of the CHL, or like Eliasson coming over from Europe to play in CHL/NA, will be heading to camp, along with guys like Halliday who finished his NCAA craeer and heading to his first rookie tournament

Reactions: OD99 and DrEasy

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Ostapchuk and Bourgault are the surprises for me. I was hoping both would be there. The forward group looks like shite but I'm pumped to see the defensemen.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
In terms of players on amateur tryouts, and based on the NHL-CHL agreement, the following players are only eligible to sign an ELC:
David Egorov, Anthony Cristoforo, Lucas Moore, Ryder Boulton, Matthew Buckley, Eliot L'Italien, and Landen Ward.

The following players on amateur tryouts are eligible to sign an AHL contract:
Niall Crocker, Mark Duarte, Ryan Humphrey, and Stuart Rolofs

All amateur try out players can earn an invite to the Ottawa Senators training camp if they perform well. Last season only 4 amateur try-out players received an invite to main camp and the rest were released after the rookie tournament.

Why this is important, is that for the first list of players they need to try to earn an ELC. If they get sent back to the CHL without a contract then (to the best of my knowledge) they can't be signed at a later date, they can only be potentially drafted by the Sens.

If an amateur try-out player earns an ELC and is eligible to play in the CHL and is assigned there (which includes all the players from the first list) that ELC will slide which means that it will not count against the NHL contract limit.

Look for the first list of players to fight hard to demonstrate they are worthy of an ELC. Look for the second list of players to fight hard for an ELC but also fight hard to demonstrate that they could be worthy of an AHL contract.

Last edited:

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Interesting that Boucher, Daoust, Donovan & Hamara are playing three games, both Daoust & Boucher have been hurt most of the last two seasons. Hopefully, they make it through all three games.

It's pretty common for the older guys (Boucher, Halliday, Daoust - among others) not to play all three games. Assuming he gets to the tournament uninjured, I wouldn't be surprised if Boucher only actually plays the Friday game and then they shut him down.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
You’re all about to be wowed. And if you don’t think you will be wowed it’s cuz you don’t watch hockey
I am "wowable" by a "wowable" player; I hope you are correct in your assessment of him.

It's pretty common for the older guys (Boucher, Halliday, Daoust - among others) not to play all three games. Assuming he gets to the tournament uninjured, I wouldn't be surprised if Boucher only actually plays the Friday game and then they shut him down.
Why would the Ottawa Senators "shut down" Tyler Boucher after 1 game? After all of the issues he has had, he should get as many games as possible to show what he can do.

Reactions: OD99 and DrEasy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I am "wowable" by a "wowable" player; I hope you are correct in your assessment of him.

Why would the Ottawa Senators "shut down" Tyler Boucher after 1 game? After all of the issues he has had, he should get as many games as possible to show what he can do.
Nordberg is said to be 6'5" and 212 Lbs on Elite Prospects. I do not know if that is still accurate.

"Nordberg flashes playmaking skills. He pulls off passes under pressure that one wouldn’t necessarily expect out of a defenceman with more of a stay-at-home etiquette. His large frame and long range allow him to close down the space of opponents, and his awareness, to do so proactively before they receive passes. He’s also a fierce net-front defender and engager on the walls. "-EliteProspects 2022 NHL Draft Guide

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Not often you go from healthy scracth in the CHL playoffs and Memorial Cup to an invite to a rookie camp.

Lot of grease for that one, and the hard-on for archetype our amatuer side has
Probably the GM too. I don't mind the focus on making the team bigger and tougher to play against as we won't win the SC with a team of Smurfs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad