Patriots/NFL 2024 Regular Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Clown show
"What if I wasn't Tyreek Hill"

Well if you weren't Tyreek Hill, you probably would of been charged for beating up the mother of your  first child up while pregnant. Then the others. And then for breaking your 3 year olds arm. Not getting away with it.

Clown show with the Dolphins, and he's the clown. Always has been, always will be.

Last edited:

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
If the league made them mandatory everyone, players and fans alike, would get used to them in a month. In time they'll also figure out how to make them smaller.
I think it'll eventually happen. Kinda like how the NHL phased in mandatory helmets, and eventually visors. Not sure if the Players Union gets a say in that or not, but I think in 5yrs it'll be a standard practice.

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
Drake Maye will be playing by Week 5, if not sooner. The kid is gonna have to take his lumps eventually..
This. I understand the offensive line has been poor, but Brissett is also slow both moving and getting rid of the football. Let Brissett play this week on the short week and I would make the move to Maye for week 4. Gives him an extra few days to prepare.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
FWIW, anyone who's wondering why Drake Maye isn't playing should watch Caleb Williams for a little while.
I see he was sacked 7 times but I watched a lot of him at USC and he has the Mahomes in him where he will dance around and hang on to the ball forever. Is their OL just terrible or is he not getting rid of the ball?

This. I understand the offensive line has been poor, but Brissett is also slow both moving and getting rid of the football. Let Brissett play this week on the short week and I would make the move to Maye for week 4. Gives him an extra few days to prepare.
I wouldn't start Maye at SF. A nice landing spot for Maye might be week 5 at home against a potentially Tua-less Dolphins team. I say this with the caveat that if the OL completely goes to shit I would still play Brissett. There's no point in playing Maye that early behind a terrible OL. That's not an opportunity for growth in my opinion.

Reactions: HustleB

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I think it'll eventually happen. Kinda like how the NHL phased in mandatory helmets, and eventually visors. Not sure if the Players Union gets a say in that or not, but I think in 5yrs it'll be a standard practice.

I'm not sure we'll ever see widespread in-game Guardian Cap use, simply because I think it's more likely it spurs helmet innovation than that it takes over as market leader. My guess is that the leading helmet brands (Riddell, Schutt, Vicis, Xenith) are already developing new helmets that provide the same value as Guardian Caps with an aesthetically appealing soft-shell exterior. Might be a small investment currently, but it'll grow as in-game Guardian Cap use grows.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Daniels is looking like he is best QB from the draft so far.....albeit a small sample size and Maye/ JJ have not played yet or Penix Jr.

If we're going by pre-season, JJ clearly looked the best out of all of them.

But it's pre-season. So who knows. But then I see SAM DARNOLD throwing absolute DARTS 61 yards to Jefferson and I say to myself, JJ if he didn't get hurt would be thriving.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

But it's pre-season. So who knows. But then I see SAM DARNOLD throwing absolute DARTS 61 yards to Jefferson and I say to myself, JJ if he didn't get hurt would be thriving.
Not sure I agree with that. Say what you will about Darnold's previous performances with different teams, he's still an experienced NFL QB with years and games under his belt. Not sure you can assume that McCarthy would have performed exactly the same as he has. Its the hardest position in the NFL to play effectively, by far.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
The line allowed pressure on half of the drop backs yesterday, I’m not subjecting Drake Maye to that until it cleans up
If Drake Maye is struggling to pick up the offense and you don't want to play him because he doesn't know what he's doing yet, I can understand sitting him.

But sitting him simply because you are afraid that he's going to get pressure on half his drop backs and that's somehow going to shatter his confidence is where you lose me. If that's the case, he probably isn't cut out for the NFL anyway. Playing against an NFL pass rush is a huge part of QB development. Some can do it, some can't. Better to find out sooner rather than later and coach him/scheme from there...

Williams and Daniels are both playing behind shaky O-Lines too, but they're taking their lumps and gaining experience doing so. Maye's watching film and getting a few reps in practice with the 2s and 3s.

Last edited:
Reactions: capecodder

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK

The caveat with McCarthy's preseason play was he only looked great once the Raiders put in their 2nd team defence.

The Vikings definitely would have given him a very favorable supporting cast to make him look good though, like we're seeing with Darnold now. Very good o-line with a ton of weapons to get the ball to.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If Drake Maye is struggling to pick up the offense and you don't want to play him because he doesn't know what he's doing yet, I can understand sitting him.

But sitting him simply because you are afraid that he's going to get pressure on half his drop backs and that's somehow going to shatter his confidence is where you lose me. If that's the case, he probably isn't cut out for the NFL anyway. Playing against an NFL pass rush is a huge part of QB development. Some can do it, some can't. Better to find out sooner rather than later and coach him/scheme from there...

Williams and Daniels are both playing behind shaky O-Lines too, but they're taking their lumps and gaining experience doing so. Maye's watching film and getting a few reps in practice with the 2s and 3s.
I think playing behind a terrible line while still learning how to process a defense is how you turn guys into David Carr. They get shell shocked and lose confidence. The position is almost entirely about confidence. You want to put them in a position where they can build confidence.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
The caveat with McCarthy's preseason play was he only looked great once the Raiders put in their 2nd team defence.

The Vikings definitely would have given him a very favorable supporting cast to make him look good though, like we're seeing with Darnold now. Very good o-line with a ton of weapons to get the ball to.

That's the key for a young QB. The surrounding cast is exactly what he needs.

We don't have that here yet.

Reactions: BMC

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019

There is more to it, then just having a so called favorable supporting cast. The QB still needs the talent and skills to execute the game plan, read the defenses, put the ball in the right spots, so much more. It doesn't just fall into place having that favorable supporting cast, still a lot of work to be done.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
That's the key for a young QB. The surrounding cast is exactly what he needs.

We don't have that here yet.
Yeah but by that logic, no high-pick QB would ever play coming out of college. They get picked high, because they are on shit teams that don't have much of a supporting cast, by default.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I think playing behind a terrible line while still learning how to process a defense is how you turn guys into David Carr. They get shell shocked and lose confidence. The position is almost entirely about confidence. You want to put them in a position where they can build confidence.
True, but you can also build a QBs confidence and give him experience by how you scheme your offense and with the plays you call. I'm not saying you run Maye out there and have him drop back 30-40 times a game with 4 wideouts and only 5 OL in protection. Hell no, but you CAN gameplan to run the ball, go to play action and give him easier/quicker throws to develop the kid's rhythm and develop timing with his WRs and the routes they run.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
True, but you can also build a QBs confidence and give him experience by how you scheme your offense and with the plays you call. I'm not saying you run Maye out there and have him drop back 30-40 times a game with 4 wideouts and only 5 OL in protection. Hell no, but you CAN gameplan to run the ball, go to play action and give him easier/quicker throws to develop the kid's rhythm.
With the way Jacoby is getting hit we may have no choice but to see what Maye’s got soon anyway

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
With the way Jacoby is getting hit we may have no choice but to see what Maye’s got soon anyway
I'm a Packer fan and I know I'm biased, but what they did yesterday with Malik freakin' Willis (in his 3rd week with the team) was a great piece of coaching. I mean that guy was 3rd on the TN depth chart behind Will Levis and Mason Rudolph (justifiably so, BTW), and he put in a very credible performance yesterday.

NE can do the same thing with Maye. Don't put too much on his shoulders, focus on running the football, let him use his mobility to a limited degree and give him easier throws to build his confidence.

Last edited:

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017

I think this is likely it. If we went strictly by preseason/camp performance, Maye was better. He also didnt line up under center in college and might not be ready to run the offense with bullets flying. Im not using Washington, Chicago as any kind of blueprint on developing QBs. Brissett will make OL stats look worse as others have noted because he doesnt process quick enough and holds on to the ball too long, he's limited. He doesnt throw picks but takes a pissload of sacks. Im sure we'll see Maye this year. Its been competitive and they kind of blew it yesterday and should have won. Its been better than last year so far

Reactions: RoccoF14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad