Red Sox/MLB 2024 Regular Season IV - Red Sox swept by the Blue Jays today and are now 29-37 at home.....

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
WHAT A CATCH BY JARREN DURAN!
WHAT A WIN!

Yoshi stays hot.
Casas looks great.
O'Neill is back.
Bello having another great start.
Pen does it's job.

Kenley boys, stays up!

KIDS EATING GOOD IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD.

Screenshot_20240328_235246_Gallery.jpg

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
ALL 3 TEAMS are eating.... AA 10-2; AAA 3-0;

Alexander/Sandlin this afternoon.... Kutter Crawford in BAL;

Worcester playing today as the Wapas de Worcester and weather has intervened again @ Polar Park as NESN+ is trying to show it regionally this afternoon; update 2:30

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm not calling for balanced schedules because I think water finds its level and a good team should beat whoever they play anyway. But the whiny homer inside of me can't help noticing that KC and Minnesota are both 12-1 against the White Sox (which in KC's case is 17% of their total wins right now).

Mitigating factor is that in four games the Red Sox managed to have lost 2 of them to Chicago anyway. I think this team is what they are, which is promising at moments but flawed enough to finish just out of the last spot. But they'll finish close enough that we can cope with things like "But they played the white sox 13 times.." or "if Casas was healthy all year..."

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I'm not calling for balanced schedules because I think water finds its level and a good team should beat whoever they play anyway. But the whiny homer inside of me can't help noticing that KC and Minnesota are both 12-1 against the White Sox (which in KC's case is 17% of their total wins right now).

Mitigating factor is that in four games the Red Sox managed to have lost 2 of them to Chicago anyway. I think this team is what they are, which is promising at moments but flawed enough to finish just out of the last spot. But they'll finish close enough that we can cope with things like "But they played the white sox 13 times.." or "if Casas was healthy all year..."
I think one takeaway from this year could end up being you can't solely bank on being a wild card team when you are in a relatively strong division. There's no question in my mind the Twins/Royals have an easier path to playoffs and are not even definitively better than the Red Sox. Not the Royals anyway. I am just pleading for things to not go off the rails here. Keep it a competition till end of season and then let's go from there. Still would like a little more aggression from front office. The deadline moves were fine I guess but not enough.

People need to stop referring to Mayer, Anthony, and Teel as the Big Three.

It's the Big Four.

Playing this game, I think we know all 4 won't pan out. But if you hit on 2 of 4 that would be a massive success. If you somehow go 0-4 I never want to hear about prospects again.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Playing this game, I think we know all 4 won't pan out. But if you hit on 2 of 4 that would be a massive success. If you somehow go 0-4 I never want to hear about prospects again.
It also depends on what your definition of "panning out" is. That can be anywhere along the spectrum of Roster Player to MLB All Star....

I'll be curious to see who (if any of them) get the callup in September with the expanded roster.. I gotta believe that at least one of them gets a look. Maybe 2, if Boston decides not to call up a pitcher as well....

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
It also depends on what your definition of "panning out" is. That can be anywhere along the spectrum of Roster Player to MLB All Star....

I'll be curious to see who (if any of them) get the callup in September with the expanded roster.. I gotta believe that at least one of them gets a look. Maybe 2, if Boston decides not to call up a pitcher as well....
For the buzz these guys have gotten they would need to be more than just roster players. I think the hope should be that 2 of the 4 become all star caliber players. I would consider that a success.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I think one takeaway from this year could end up being you can't solely bank on being a wild card team when you are in a relatively strong division. There's no question in my mind the Twins/Royals have an easier path to playoffs and are not even definitively better than the Red Sox. Not the Royals anyway. I am just pleading for things to not go off the rails here. Keep it a competition till end of season and then let's go from there. Still would like a little more aggression from front office. The deadline moves were fine I guess but not enough.

I think hitting on 2 out 4 will be a no brainer. I went back to 2022 to look at the top 20 MLB prospects at that time and 15 are starting players in the MLB now ( including Casas).
The way Campbell is playing, he might be the best out of the 4.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Going into the year I figured baseline would be 82 wins, if they fell out of the race and tanked the last month less, if they were in it and bought at the deadline more.

As it is, they're kind of in the race and kind of bought (though the biggest fish was Paxton who got hurt instantly), and despite many injuries to the lineup early in the year and missing a cleanup guy in Casas for a good three months, they're on pace for 85-86 wins and are within earshot of a wild card. I guess in the end you'd say that's successful considering ownership handcuffed Breslow this winter and the adversity they faced, and that Alex is doing a good job with what he's got.

The schedule the rest of the way is a mix of bad teams and good ones. Wouldn't call it easy but if Toronto and Tampa have given up by then it'd make things easier. The September 20-22 weekend against Minnesota could decide a WC.

I don't think they'll make it in the end but everything is giving me signs of promise for next year and beyond. Maybe the cheap bastards at FSG will see that and loosen purse strings for Breslow to go get a top of the line starter this winter.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Going into the year I figured baseline would be 82 wins, if they fell out of the race and tanked the last month less, if they were in it and bought at the deadline more.

As it is, they're kind of in the race and kind of bought (though the biggest fish was Paxton who got hurt instantly), and despite many injuries to the lineup early in the year and missing a cleanup guy in Casas for a good three months, they're on pace for 85-86 wins and are within earshot of a wild card. I guess in the end you'd say that's successful considering ownership handcuffed Breslow this winter and the adversity they faced, and that Alex is doing a good job with what he's got.

The schedule the rest of the way is a mix of bad teams and good ones. Wouldn't call it easy but if Toronto and Tampa have given up by then it'd make things easier. The September 20-22 weekend against Minnesota could decide a WC.

I don't think they'll make it in the end but everything is giving me signs of promise for next year and beyond. Maybe the cheap bastards at FSG will see that and loosen purse strings for Breslow to go get a top of the line starter this winter.

Have to think someone significant will be traded this off-season considering the complete lack of pitching.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The idea also is that Giolito would be back for next year (technically a UFA with a player option but coming off TJ he's definitely locking in the $19 million). Other guys out there are Burnes, Fried, and Flaherty. I suspect they'll be big players on one of them (preferably Burnes, the other two strike me as injuries waiting to happen). Another guy I'd keep an eye on is Shane Bieber, who is a pending UFA who had TJ in April and will probably be back early in 2025. It's a very Red Sox thing to do to give him a show me contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad