Prospect Info: 2024 prospect tournament in LA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Burke with a good play after Bystedt with a bad turnover while PK'ing. Musty isn't looking too hot without Smith. Halttunen forgot his discipline today. Cagnoni not looking as good as the past two but third game in four days could make things difficult. That's probably true for a few of these kids.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
I completely agree with you. He belongs with the cuda, no question.

However, given the reality, where does he end up.

For what its worth, I think he ends up in SJ all year. Hes just been too effective to send back. He crushed the prospect game laset year with a trick. Crushed it again this year. He's crushing the rookie tourney. Hes got the size and skill. The only question is his Dzone play, and I dont know if that can be so much improved in the O.

There is no need to rush anyone, but there is also no need not to. Its not like the sharks have a full roster of legit NHLers who are well ahead of musty and the team would hurt their chances of making PO's if they played him. Obviously, you dont want to keep him only to have him be a healthy scratch half the season, but if he shows NHL caliber skill, then give him a regular shift seems fine. If he struggles, he gets valuable experience. If he kicks butt, then the sharks have another sub 20 year old star forward in the making.

I have rarely been so jazzed for a preseason to start. So many good story lines. So many intense competitions for roster spots. So many guys who could grab a spot. Wish we had more intrigue on the defensive side, but at least at forward, there is so much to watch.

How strange. 8D? I guess they saw enough from the top kids.

Ill be interested in seeing how that top line does. Musty and halts had a strong game with smith. Wonder how they will do with Bystedt.

Also, no Graf, who showed very well yesterday too. Clearly, this is the B-team.

The thing is how does Musty look playing on possibly the worst team in the league.

The kid has great offensive talent but has been criticized for his play away from the puck. In a prospect tournament on the best team in the tournament he gets to play in the role he is best at - offense. On the Sharks, however, he is going to have to play on a line getting caved in a lot - not sure his play away from the puck will let him stay up.

Smith getting a sit and Musty playing all three games is a little telling too I think.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The thing is how does Musty look playing on possibly the worst team in the league.

The kid has great offensive talent but has been criticized for his play away from the puck. In a prospect tournament on the best team in the tournament he gets to play in the role he is best at - offense. On the Sharks, however, he is going to have to play on a line getting caved in a lot - not sure his play away from the puck will let him stay up.

Smith getting a sit and Musty playing all three games is a little telling too I think.
At this stage, Musty shouldn't make the big club. He plays at too slow of a pace to be consistently good in the NHL but he can still learn and develop if they wanted to put him on the 4th line. I think he's going to end up back in juniors and they're just going to live with whatever happens in the next year.

Reactions: Baysick

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
At this stage, Musty shouldn't make the big club. He plays at too slow of a pace to be consistently good in the NHL but he can still learn and develop if they wanted to put him on the 4th line. I think he's going to end up back in juniors and they're just going to live with whatever happens in the next year.
That's a reasonable assessment. Would suck to, in many ways, waste a year in the O destroying little children.

I think the jury is out. That's why hes playing this game. They know Smith and Celly will have a likely full NHL season ahead, so they re cutting back on the mileage for those two. But Musty is still getting his look...

I think we will know better when he gets into a few preseason games. the rookie faceoff is a level higher than juniors but below even the AHL. In preseason, you get to match up against teams that are usually at least half NHL players, particularly in the latter half of the preseason. If he plays against a 3/4 NHL roster in the last 2-3 preseason games, we'll get a much better look. If he's sent back before the season starts, I assume he'd be among the last cuts. I could still imagine him getting 3rd line Winger duties... And I could imagine the Smith-Musty love affair continuing into the pros as well...

Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
As has been discussed a bunch, Musty might be able to go the route of many other prospects with:
  • 13/14th forward out of camp
  • 9 sporadic games with the big club
  • up to 15 AHL "Conditioning" games - would need some excuse for it but it has been done before
  • WJC's in January
  • Back to the OHL, possibly traded to a better team so he's not just playing run-and-gun in Sudbury
Probably makes the most sense to maximize his development -- he's so talented but he really does need more time to "cure" and round out his game. I'm sure he would be on board with it as it already sounds like he regrets not going the NCAA route.

That said, if he does spend another year in the O, plus WJC's, so be it... If he has the right attitude he can still make it worthwhile.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That's a reasonable assessment. Would suck to, in many ways, waste a year in the O destroying little children.

I think the jury is out. That's why hes playing this game. They know Smith and Celly will have a likely full NHL season ahead, so they re cutting back on the mileage for those two. But Musty is still getting his look...

I think we will know better when he gets into a few preseason games. the rookie faceoff is a level higher than juniors but below even the AHL. In preseason, you get to match up against teams that are usually at least half NHL players, particularly in the latter half of the preseason. If he plays against a 3/4 NHL roster in the last 2-3 preseason games, we'll get a much better look. If he's sent back before the season starts, I assume he'd be among the last cuts. I could still imagine him getting 3rd line Winger duties... And I could imagine the Smith-Musty love affair continuing into the pros as well...
Yes, jury is still out. The rookie camp has earned him a look that he was going to get regardless. I hope that when the pace picks up with higher quality games in preseason, he does too. I'd much prefer he earn a spot on the big club than go back to juniors but he's got to make that happen in the next couple weeks. It's also been three games in four days. Even if there's no travel, it's still tiring for pro athletes much less kids trying to become pro athletes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad