Prospect Info: 2024 prospect tournament in LA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Fair enough to how you value the others in comparison but I think it is in both Cagnoni's and the organization's interest to get him acclimated to pro size sooner rather than later and see if they have something with him.
Zellweger and Mateychuk were superior versions of the same type of prospect and they both went back to the WHL for their D+2 season.

In fairness I don't think they were old enough to make the jump unlike Cagnoni who is a December birthday but regardless it doesn't seem to have affected either guy's development very much.

If Cagnoni is talented enough to be the rare smurf defenseman who makes it I don't think an extra year in juniors is going to prevent him from doing that.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
So...I'm seeing clips of other prospect games this morning and starting to wondering if anyone else has noticed a sharp quality difference.

How is it that teams from Silicon Valley and Hollywood are behind the rest of the league in camera work and production??
Aside from the quality, my takeaway from those clips was "neither of those plays were very impressive." Michkov tries to dangle the entire team and then makes a blind backhand pass on the blue line to a breaking teammate with way more downside than upside risk? So what? ... Then the other guy does a lap and a half around the outside with zero threat, like it's drop in? Not impressed.
It is almost like they still have the small market mindset with no hardcore followers. Nobody really cares about these development showcases here so why spend money on it. But they fail to realize that in the past 20 years of continued success has changed the fan base drastically
I mean, shouldn't we be blaming the Kings for a shitty venue with bad sight lines? We are only two months removed from a great prospect showcase with high quality broadcast and a lot of marketing hype ... Not sure how much the Sharks could do on this rookie showcase here. I'm not going to say the Sharks are amazing at marketing but I also don't think they've been doing a bad job and maybe even a pretty good job on social media and post draft coverage in the past 4 months.

Sharksfan66

Nov 4, 2021
Aside from the quality, my takeaway from those clips was "neither of those plays were very impressive." Michkov tries to dangle the entire team and then makes a blind backhand pass on the blue line to a breaking teammate with way more downside than upside risk? So what? ... Then the other guy does a lap and a half around the outside with zero threat, like it's drop in? Not impressed.
Same! I keep seeing all these clips with people gushing about Michkov and I just don't get what they are seeing at all. Here's another example:

We're getting excited about *attempted* Michigans now? Is this what we were like when our top prospects were Merkley, Bordeleau, & co? 😂

Edit: Not that I'm saying Michkov will bust per se, my point is more that I guess this reminds me to be grateful for what we have in our system now because I remember a time when we'd try to hype up guys over nothing too. Grateful to be entering a new era!

Last edited:

Sparkleton

Nov 9, 2021
Same! I keep seeing all these clips with people gushing about Michkov and I just don't get what they are seeing at all. Here's another example:

We're getting excited about *attempted* Michigans now? Is this what we were like when our top prospects were Merkley, Bordeleau, & co? 😂

Edit: Not that I'm saying Michkov will bust per se, my point is more that I guess this reminds me to be grateful for what we have in our system now because I remember a time when we'd try to hype up guys over nothing too. Grateful to be entering a new era!

That’s definitely the way for a rookie to win over Torts.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Michkov isn't a flashy player at all, Michigan attempts aside. Y'all are seriously sounding sour as hell.
My point was purely about the single shared clip and not at all about Michkov the prospect, who is obviously extremely promising with sky high upside until proven otherwise.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Michboob the prospect is also the guy who spurned my team, told my GM not to draft him cause he won't play here but only in a real city like Philadelphia and then he goes and ends his KHL contract early because he loves Philly so much. So I don't really like how manipulative he is.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I mean, shouldn't we be blaming the Kings for a shitty venue with bad sight lines? We are only two months removed from a great prospect showcase with high quality broadcast and a lot of marketing hype ... Not sure how much the Sharks could do on this rookie showcase here. I'm not going to say the Sharks are amazing at marketing but I also don't think they've been doing a bad job and maybe even a pretty good job on social media and post draft coverage in the past 4 months.

I think your bar is very low! When you’ve got a team with a prospect pool that’s finally exciting, your job is to make sure you’re always promoting the brand and the new guys — every prospect game, practices, whatever.

The camera should’ve been placed higher and there should’ve been more than two angles, that just takes a bit more money and planning.

The broadcast aside, they should be filming all week with the players, fun games, mini follow docs, “working out with (Celebrini! Smith! Dickinson!)” videos and growing their YouTube/social media accounts.

The fact is, the marketing people run the department like it’s 1995 and they’re missing so many fantastic opportunities to grow the fan base and get people excited about this team.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I think your bar is very low! When you’ve got a team with a prospect pool that’s finally exciting, your job is to make sure you’re always promoting the brand and the new guys — every prospect game, practices, whatever.

The camera should’ve been placed higher and there should’ve been more than two angles, that just takes a bit more money and planning.

The broadcast aside, they should be filming all week with the players, fun games, mini follow docs, “working out with (Celebrini! Smith! Dickinson!)” videos and growing their YouTube/social media accounts.

The fact is, the marketing people run the department like it’s 1995 and they’re missing so many fantastic opportunities to grow the fan base and get people excited about this team.
I can't really be upset at the Sharks for what is L.A.'s fault in terms of the venue and camera angles and such--I doubt the Sharks have any control over that.

And while I have been critical of the Sharks' marketing efforts in recent years, and I would like to see all those things you suggested, I do think there's a fine line when it comes to 18 and 19 year old kids. All these rookies have a lot on their plates in terms of trying to adjust and impress and keep their focus in those regards, so you don't want to put too much on them at this stage. (Plus there may be some logistical issues again regarding the venue in terms of what visiting clubs can do.)

That said, once training camp begins in earnest this week, that's when the Sharks can really step up these media marketing efforts--and they can give us some of what we want with the rookies, but not lean on them too hard since there'll be veterans available for that stuff, as well.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
I agree that Celebrini (and Smith) should be marketed more than ever before. Sharks get a 1st overall prospect for the first time in their history, so now it's on the Sharks org to make the most out of it.
It will benefit them the most if they do it right. Celebrini (and Smith) are the ones that will sell tickets now and in the deep future.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Michboob the prospect is also the guy who spurned my team, told my GM not to draft him cause he won't play here but only in a real city like Philadelphia and then he goes and ends his KHL contract early because he loves Philly so much. So I don't really like how manipulative he is.
I love Smith but I agree wholeheartedly. F*ck that guy.

Yes, I am salty and sour at the same time. :laugh:

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I can't really be upset at the Sharks for what is L.A.'s fault in terms of the venue and camera angles and such--I doubt the Sharks have any control over that.

And while I have been critical of the Sharks' marketing efforts in recent years, and I would like to see all those things you suggested, I do think there's a fine line when it comes to 18 and 19 year old kids. All these rookies have a lot on their plates in terms of trying to adjust and impress and keep their focus in those regards, so you don't want to put too much on them at this stage. (Plus there may be some logistical issues again regarding the venue in terms of what visiting clubs can do.)

That said, once training camp begins in earnest this week, that's when the Sharks can really step up these media marketing efforts--and they can give us some of what we want with the rookies, but not lean on them too hard since there'll be veterans available for that stuff, as well.

I’m sure if the Sharks asked, they could have put up their own gear.

And of course, there’s a delicate balance of what kind of content you can make without bothering the athletes too much. But also, these guys are Gen Zers and know exactly how and why social media marketing should be done.

It just bugs me because it all feels very amateur and outdated and there’s so much untapped potential there. They can absolutely have a YouTube channel that puts out professional, fun content (using best practices for thumbnails etc etc which they do not) and it would only help grow the team.

I love the Sharks, I want them to do better marketing the team I love. Now is the best time to start.

Reactions: landshark

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Per Sheng, Celebrini is skating this morning. I feel like he probably won't play tonight, but it could just be that he wanted to get on the ice.

I wonder if they'll give Smith tonight and Celebrini tomorrow, or if Celebrini is done for the tourney.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Per Sheng, Celebrini is skating this morning. I feel like he probably won't play tonight, but it could just be that he wanted to get on the ice.

I wonder if they'll give Smith tonight and Celebrini tomorrow, or if Celebrini is done for the tourney.
As much as I want to see them play there is no need for it. Both will make the team and see likely the only players playing that will play with the Sharks this season. Let them rest for training camp to avoid injury from a fringe prospect trying to make a statement hit on a top prospect.

Reactions: Shark Finn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad