Prospect Info: 2024 prospect tournament in LA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Cardwell is locked for 4th line duties in the future a la Goodrow.
Cagnoni has that fire in him, I like what I've seen so far. Maybe AHL?
Dickinson looks really good, but would benefit another year developing. There is no rush.
Halttunen needs another year of development.
I would give Musty more leash, at least 9 games in NHL if possible.
Smith is ready.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I really am becoming very attached to Cagnoni.
I've been paying a lot of iso attention to his shifts and I have to say, he's been really good defensively as well. So long as he can keep up physically, everything else about his game screams NHLer.

I'm wondering if the Cardwell-Bystedt-Graf line might be something we see on the Cuda this year, I like the construction.

I'd like to see Cardwell up with Musty and Smith. You can't put Smith with two low-energy wingers who aren't puck hounds and expect the line to work. You need someone like Zetterlund, and Cardwell really fits that bill.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
my thoughts:

1. Dick: Looks great, and making alot of small plays. Obvious;y the 2-1 shutdown was nice, but did you guys catch the little shoulder off the puck on the back check? He looks great...

2. Musty: hate to say it, but hes not there just yet. Hes gunna need to get much better in his own zone. Too many soft D-zone plays. This doesnt mean he needs to go back to the O, but he will need some coaching on winning those point battles against opposition D.

3. I wanna see a haltunnen bomb! I was waiting for it on the PP but it never came :-(

4. Cagnoni is obviously dangerous. hard to tell how he is doing defensively. he'll be one to watch in A, but interesting since they have thompson, Shuldt, etc seemingly above him.

5. Havent seen a whole lot from bystedt.

6. Smith has a nice calm presence, wish he buried those PP shots, but still a nice control of the game. Id like to see more there tho too.

Overall a bit disappointed by the Smith-haltunnen-Musty line as I wanna see them dominate every shift. They have spent some long ones in their own zone, so I wanna see more there...

No one player is clearly dominating though. No one clearly looks a whole level above.

I should add, Graf looks great. He too has great vision and nice skating and could have a nice year.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
As hyped up as I am, I also remember that this is a Rookie Faceoff.
One level below even pre season games, so gotta take things with a grain of salt.
Smith and Celebrini are probably the only ones seeing real NHL ice, but I would hope Musty could take over couple of the pre season games just to make a case for 9 games in NHL.

Dickinson and Cagnoni need time, but if they develop the way it seems they will be up sooner than later.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
It's so fun seeing similar domination of puck possession, all three zones, etc as the first game. Great fore check, great neutral zone work turning to counter attacks. Definitely a "hard team to play against."

I'd actually like to see more out of Smith. Maybe it's the bad camera angle streaming on a phone, but feels like one of his BC games where he's not quite as imposing. That line had a terrible two minute shift to start the 2nd but definitely looked a lot better on the PP. Great job by Smith to draw the penalty for that.

Cutter looking exactly like expected... Great shot, not really imposing himself otherwise, took a dumb penalty to negate his PPG.

Funny to watch Vanroboys be the hardo trying to stir shit in front of the net every time. I would be annoyed by him if I were the ducks.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I know Halttunen hasn't been a standout in these two games, but I have to say I've been pretty pleased to see him actually working hard and fulfilling his responsibilities in all three zones. We know he has offensive skill and was a danger on the PP, but it's his away-from-the-puck game that's been the biggest red flag. Knowing that he can be willing and able to do that work bodes well for his future (opening up possibilities as a 3rd liner who can also contribute on the PP).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad