2024 Prospect Poll #5

Who is the Jets 5th best prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Kirill Kaprisov came over at 24 years of age after 4 years in the KHL and is an elite NHL player. Rashevsky's numbers are below what Kapril produced for sure during their 21, 22, 23 year old seasons in the K - but still very solid for a young player. I do admit that I am not fully aware of each's strength of linemates and deployment which could skewer things even more for sure....

I remain bullish on Rashevsky's future. If he chooses to leave the KHL motherland.

Rashevsky:
21 years old - 48 - 19 - 16 - 35
22 years old - 67 - 19 - 19 - 38
23 years old - 67 - 24 - 19 - 43

Kaprizov:
21 years old - 46 - 15 - 25 - 40
22 years old - 57 - 30 - 21 - 51
23 years old - 57 - 33 - 29 - 62

I don't like the comp to Kaprizov. Rashevsky's numbers are way short.
Rashevsky looks great in highlights but what is he doing the rest of the time?

But I really don't care much how good he is or isn't until he demonstrates at least a hint of interest in playing here. When and if that happens I will become interested in his performance.

When he hits UFA at age 27. So if he doesn't come this year we only would have 3 years of control left.

Does that mean we can finally stop listing Kraskovsky as a Jets asset? :laugh:

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
I don't like the comp to Kaprizov. Rashevsky's numbers are way short.
Rashevsky looks great in highlights but what is he doing the rest of the time?

But I really don't care much how good he is or isn't until he demonstrates at least a hint of interest in playing here. When and if that happens I will become interested in his performance.

Does that mean we can finally stop listing Kraskovsky as a Jets asset? :laugh:
Sorry, I don't think I articulated it right. I am not comparing Rashevsky to Kaprizov in terms of skill or if he could produce similar in the NHL - just was the player I knew that started young in the KHL and when ready to come over at age 24 (like I predict Rashevsky will) was able to step right into the NHL as a more mature rookie. I don't expect Rashevsky to be a first line PPG NHLer, but a solid addition to a scoring 3rd line or maybe even second line with some seasoning role. He has some size at 6'1 and a Left shot....so will be intriguing for sure.

Having said this, I predicted Postma and Dano to be long term solid producing Jets as well....so ya.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Went Barlow.

Bit concerned about Chibs size and potential boom/bust. I think Barlow will play in a top 9 role and contribute in many different ways even if that contribution is ultimately in a 3rd line role. I believe his impact overall to the team will be greater. A la Lowry vs Appleton.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sorry, I don't think I articulated it right. I am not comparing Rashevsky to Kaprizov in terms of skill or if he could produce similar in the NHL - just was the player I knew that started young in the KHL and when ready to come over at age 24 (like I predict Rashevsky will) was able to step right into the NHL as a more mature rookie. I don't expect Rashevsky to be a first line PPG NHLer, but a solid addition to a scoring 3rd line or maybe even second line with some seasoning role. He has some size at 6'1 and a Left shot....so will be intriguing for sure.

Having said this, I predicted Postma and Dano to be long term solid producing Jets as well....so ya.

And I hope you are right. For me he might just as well not exist. We'll see what happens.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Part of my reasoning here too.

My sample size for viewing both is really small but Chibrikov really impressed in his sole NHL start. Whether he could bring that energy over 82 games remains to be seen, but he reminded me of prime Brandon Tanev (prime being before big money) in that he was a buzzsaw on the ice and I think the talent is higher. I think he can fill a middle six role quite nicely but would also excel on the 4th for this year.

Barlow will be my next choice. I think I'm just guilty of recency bias with respect to Chibrikov and ageism with respect to Barlow. Barlow has the higher ceiling from what I can see at this point, but to Chibrikov's credit, he has excelled in the AHL, something Barlow has yet to prove (though I fully expect he can).
That was a meaningless game he played in...I mean zero physicality. Most games will have more edge...i honestly see Parker Ford making the NHL this year over Chibrikov...4th line energy...both had similar point totals in the A but Ford played more of a checking line role. He also got the call with Lambert and Chibrikov just not the action...but tells you he is on the Jets radar...the one thing about Chibrikov is the Jets may feel pressure to bring him up this year because that $70 k AHL salary is not likely to keep him around long when the K has bigger rewards.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I like the player like you do. I think he comes over. I also really like Chib and Barlow, Barlow a pure sniper, Chib plays with intensity but needs to work on dzone, cupboards are full on forward prospects, D a little thin.
The Jets certainly do have more depth at F, but realistically a team only needs half as many D prospects as F based on roster positions. Having 2-3 good D prospects is like having 4-6 good F prospects. I actually like the Jets' D prospects at this point... Salomonsson, Heinola and Freij all have NHL potential, and Salomonsson could be a top-4 RHD. Freij has some dynamic qualities and if he hits, he's another potential top-4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad