Who is the Jets 5th best prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I went with Chibrikov over Barlow, as I think he is more prepared for the NHL, but I guess we shall see...:dunno:

Part of my reasoning here too.

My sample size for viewing both is really small but Chibrikov really impressed in his sole NHL start. Whether he could bring that energy over 82 games remains to be seen, but he reminded me of prime Brandon Tanev (prime being before big money) in that he was a buzzsaw on the ice and I think the talent is higher. I think he can fill a middle six role quite nicely but would also excel on the 4th for this year.

Barlow will be my next choice. I think I'm just guilty of recency bias with respect to Chibrikov and ageism with respect to Barlow. Barlow has the higher ceiling from what I can see at this point, but to Chibrikov's credit, he has excelled in the AHL, something Barlow has yet to prove (though I fully expect he can).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think it's Chobrikov for me. He's got top 6 upside and is probably half a year to a year away.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I like Barlow - a shooter with size that might crack the top six at some point, especially if he can improve his skating.
If I was to describe the type of player our top 6 will need, he checks a lot of the boxes.

Reactions: KingBogo

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
He's he even interested in ever coming over?

That is the question, isn't it.

I'd rank Rashevsky quite high but for his contract keeping him overseas coupled with potential cap issues. No idea what he'd want to be paid, but I can't imagine he's coming over on a two way when his current KHL contract expires, seemingly Feburary 2025. So can we fit him in and where does he go.

Sort of the same conundrum as Chibrikov vs Barlow - recency or ceiling? Rashevsky might beat both those prospects but when will he come over, if he even does?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I'd rank Rashevsky quite high but for his contract keeping him overseas coupled with potential cap issues. No idea what he'd want to be paid, but I can't imagine he's coming over on a two way when his current KHL contract expires, seemingly Feburary 2025. So can we fit him in and where does he go.

Sort of the same conundrum as Chibrikov vs Barlow - recency or ceiling? Rashevsky might beat both those prospects but when will he come over, if he even does?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure if he's ever attended a prospect camp in the summer for us. I'm really not sure how committed he is to the Jets. It's the reason I have a hard time with him.

He's also turning 24 this October so we are running out of runway with regards to team control.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure if he's ever attended a prospect camp in the summer for us. I'm really not sure how committed he is to the Jets. It's the reason I have a hard time with him.

He's also turning 24 this October so we are running out of runway with regards to team control.
Along with my confidence that Chibrikov will end up being the #2 prospect from this seasons rankings, I also am confident that Rashevsky will be at Jets camp next year (25-26 season), make the team, and we will love his tenacity and high level skill for many years :)

But ya, what do I know......

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Along with my confidence that Chibrikov will end up being the #2 prospect from this seasons rankings, I also am confident that Rashevsky will be at Jets camp next year (25-26 season), make the team, and we will love his tenacity and high level skill for many years :)

I'd love to see it. I think we have enough winger skill to run 3 scoring lines in a couple of years.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I was going to say something like this. This one comes down to what you put more weight on. Closer to NHL ready Vs higher ceiling.

I think it is not quite that simple. In this case Chib is not just closER but actually very close. On a team with more room for youth, Chibrikov steps in this year. Barlow may have a higher ceiling but he also has a lower probability of hitting it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

He hasn't demonstrated any interest whatsoever. That doesn't prove he is not interested but it certainly suggests it. He will be 24 when this NHL season opens.

How do we rank McGro so high if we are using Rash's contract status against him?

Because there is no similarity between the 2 situations?

Edit: McGro is a lot younger. Therefore there is a lot more time for things to happen. But the big thing is that McGro can sign an NHL contract at any time he chooses, including during the NCAA season. Rash can't. He is under contract in the KHL.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That would be nice. I just rate Rash as a complete unknown until something changes. I was high on him before he re-signed in the KHL delaying coming to NA for several years.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
That would be nice. I just rate Rash as a complete unknown until something changes. I was high on him before he re-signed in the KHL delaying coming to NA for several years.
Kirill Kaprisov came over at 24 years of age after 4 years in the KHL and is an elite NHL player. Rashevsky's numbers are below what Kapril produced for sure during their 21, 22, 23 year old seasons in the K - but still very solid for a young player. I do admit that I am not fully aware of each's strength of linemates and deployment which could skewer things even more for sure....

I remain bullish on Rashevsky's future. If he chooses to leave the KHL motherland.

Rashevsky:
21 years old - 48 - 19 - 16 - 35
22 years old - 67 - 19 - 19 - 38
23 years old - 67 - 24 - 19 - 43

Kaprizov:
21 years old - 46 - 15 - 25 - 40
22 years old - 57 - 30 - 21 - 51
23 years old - 57 - 33 - 29 - 62

Reactions: buggs

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Kirill Kaprisov came over at 24 years of age after 4 years in the KHL and is an elite NHL player. Rashevsky's numbers are below what Kapril produced for sure during their 21, 22, 23 year old seasons in the K - but still very solid for a young player. I do admit that I am not fully aware of each's strength of linemates and deployment which could skewer things even more for sure....

I remain bullish on Rashevsky's future. If he chooses to leave the KHL motherland.

Rashevsky:
21 years old - 48 - 19 - 16 - 35
22 years old - 67 - 19 - 19 - 38
23 years old - 67 - 24 - 19 - 43

Kaprizov:
21 years old - 46 - 15 - 25 - 40
22 years old - 57 - 30 - 21 - 51
23 years old - 57 - 33 - 29 - 62
I like the player like you do. I think he comes over. I also really like Chib and Barlow, Barlow a pure sniper, Chib plays with intensity but needs to work on dzone, cupboards are full on forward prospects, D a little thin.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

When do we lose control?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad