2024 Prospect Poll #4

Who is the Jets #4 prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I voted Barlow just because I love the way this guy finishes. He might not have the wheels but I see a top 6 goal score PP threat in him. That said if Heinola reaches his potential I think the PP points are there for him...just hard to see him as a top 4 d-man at this point.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Voted Heinola who is lock for the roster this season. A curious number of websites who devote attention to ranking prospects don't have him appear at all.

hfboards (standing for Hockey Future) for years placed significant attention to prospect rankings. Their criteria was... (see image for a 2007 blast from the past)
Screen Shot 2024-08-07 at 10.14.07 AM.png

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Barlow here for me, mainly because I think he has a high probability of hitting the NHL as a scoring winger with good work ethic, etc. Seems like he could be similar to Toffoli as a scorer, but with a bit more speed and physical play.

After Barlow, things get a bit murky for me.

Heinola is probably closest to the NHL, but I'm not very optimistic that he'll end up higher than a 3rd pair LD with some PP role. But maybe it's just because he's been around for a while and hasn't ever really had a good NHL run. At 23, he needs to make a statement this season. I'm very high on Freij as a future puck-moving D. He doesn't have the hockey sense that Heinola had at the same age, but his skillset is higher (mainly skating and puck-handling).

I also really like Chibrikov and wonder if he might be closer to the NHL than many project. He has a lot of good attributes that could give him a middle 6 role, but it will depend a lot on the Jets' roster composition and usage in terms of his future role.

I'm still hoping that one of the Jets other prospects takes an unexpected leap forward. Lucius might be the most likely if he can stay healthy and get into top condition. He might have the highest overall talent level of the Jets' F prospects with the potential to be a true NHL C. But I'm not all that optimistic because of his injury history and stunted development time.

Maybe Walton or Julien take a leap forward and the Jets end up with a big 3C down the line. We can only hope...

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Heinola made the team last year... that has to count for something haha.

Next I'd go Chib - skillset seems like he will find a bottom six checking/pest role soon - after that Milic

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Barlow here for me, mainly because I think he has a high probability of hitting the NHL as a scoring winger with good work ethic, etc. Seems like he could be similar to Toffoli as a scorer, but with a bit more speed and physical play.

After Barlow, things get a bit murky for me.

Heinola is probably closest to the NHL, but I'm not very optimistic that he'll end up higher than a 3rd pair LD with some PP role. But maybe it's just because he's been around for a while and hasn't ever really had a good NHL run. At 23, he needs to make a statement this season. I'm very high on Freij as a future puck-moving D. He doesn't have the hockey sense that Heinola had at the same age, but his skillset is higher (mainly skating and puck-handling).

I also really like Chibrikov and wonder if he might be closer to the NHL than many project. He has a lot of good attributes that could give him a middle 6 role, but it will depend a lot on the Jets' roster composition and usage in terms of his future role.

I'm still hoping that one of the Jets other prospects takes an unexpected leap forward. Lucius might be the most likely if he can stay healthy and get into top condition. He might have the highest overall talent level of the Jets' F prospects with the potential to be a true NHL C. But I'm not all that optimistic because of his injury history and stunted development time.

Maybe Walton or Julien take a leap forward and the Jets end up with a big 3C down the line. We can only hope...
I agree with most of that.

The thing with Chibrikov is how he plays...I'd say his defensive game needs work, and so to make the NHL he might need good defensive players around him...like a Gustafsson. Namestnikov seems like a good player to help him transition too...that snipe he had for his 1st NHL goal left an impression. Lucius is another one where I am not sure how he fits into top 6 if that is where Lambert and Barlow are headed. I haven't seen him play in the A so I can't comment on his strengths and weaknesses.

A lot of opportunity for these next tier prospects comes from how good the players ahead of them are...injuries etc.

A guy that won't show up until later in this poll, Nikkanen, is a guy I could see filling a 4th line role, depending on how the Jets want to play, big or fast. But he had a nice end to his season.

Last edited:

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Chaz Lucius for me. Obviously an out-there pick this high in the rankings but I feel like if he can stay healthy he is going to open some eyes. More well-rounded Kyle Connor vibes for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad