2024 Prospect Poll #3

Who is the Sabres' best remaining prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Rosen, add McCarthy

I had Rosen and Helenius close, but...
While I think Kulich is the #1 prospect in the organization based on pure talent, almost every Amerks game that I've watched the past two years Rosen has been the better hockey player of the two. His IQ and play away from the puck are seriously underrated. It's funny that so many Sabres fans yearn for Ehlers, because I see a lot of Ehlers in Rosen's potential ceiling too.

So while I'm really high on Helenius, I had to go with the more proven guy here.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Voted Wahlberg here.

Might seem a strange pick, but he has a clear path to a roster spot here IMO. Can't say the same about the three guys who i expect to get more votes.

I also have Johnson at four, for similar reasons.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Ostlund before Helenius. I think Ostlund has proven more so far and is closer to the NHL. Helenius would be my #4

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've seen the comment that Ostlund has proven more so far. Curious how, since draft year J20 vs. Liiga is a definite edge to Helenius overall. Can someone elaborate on their opinion on that? I don't have them separated by much at this point, but that Liiga season is so hard to ignore.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I've seen the comment that Ostlund has proven more so far. Curious how, since draft year J20 vs. Liiga is a definite edge to Helenius overall. Can someone elaborate on their opinion on that? I don't have them separated by much at this point, but that Liiga season is so hard to ignore.
I don't understand either. Helenius was promoted to Liga halfway through his 16yo season and was productive on the 3rd line. He then spent the 17yo year between 1C and 2C depending on who was off to CHL, and was outstanding. Pure and simple, if he was 2 or 3" taller he would have been in consideration for 2OV as his game is so mature and translates so well

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I don't understand either. Helenius was promoted to Liga halfway through his 16yo season and was productive on the 3rd line. He then spent the 17yo year between 1C and 2C depending on who was off to CHL, and was outstanding. Pure and simple, if he was 2 or 3" taller he would have been in consideration for 2OV as his game is so mature and translates so well
I even have Helenius over Kulich. Kulich will be a Sabre sooner and have a more immediate impact, but Helenius for now projects out to be a more valuable player imo. It will probably take 1-2 years for that to happen but I'm pretty confident. Ostlund just needs some size and experience against men, and he should be right there with Helenius, just a maybe a year later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad