2024 Prospect Poll #12

Who is the Sabres' best remaining prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
RESULTS SO FAR:
  1. Devon Levi, G (84/146 votes, 57.5%) (--). Runner up: Jiri Kulich.
  2. Jiri Kulich, F (89/136 votes, 65.4%) (+1). Runner up: Konsta Helenius.
  3. Konsta Helenius, F (76/118, 64.4%) (NR). Runner up: Noah Ostlund.
  4. Noah Ostlund, F (79/120 votes, 69.8%) (+1). Runner up: Anton Wahlberg.
  5. Isak Rosen, F (43/128 votes, 33.6%) (+1). Runner up: Anton Wahlberg.
  6. Anton Wahlberg, F (54/109 votes, 49.5%) (+2). Runner up: Ryan Johnson.
  7. Ryan Johnson, D (81/96 votes, 84.4%) (--). Runner up: Vsedvolod Komarov.
  8. Vsevolod Komarov, D (44/100 votes, 44%) (+7). Runner up: Maxim Strbak.
  9. Nikita Novikov, D (30/88 votes, 31.4%) (--). Runner up: Maxim Strbak.
  10. Viktor Neuchev, F (35/73 votes, 47.9%) (+1). Runner up: You'll never guess -- it was Strbak!
  11. Maxim Strbak, D (61/75 votes, 81.3%) (+2). Runners up: Adam Kleber/Prokhor Poltapov.

RULES: Each poll will remain open for 2 days. In the case of a tie within the top 10, I'll create a 1-day runoff poll to decide the winner. Ties outside of the top 10 will be let stand as ties. For each additional poll, I will add the most commented next to add prospect.

ELIGIBILITY: All players whose rights are held by the Buffalo Sabres and who are eligible to win the Calder Trophy for the 2024-25 season are eligible inclusion. That means a prospect is eligible if--
  • He is under age 26 (as of September 15, 2024);
  • He has played no more than 25 games in any single preceding season; and
  • He has not played 6 or more games in each of any two or more preceding seasons.

NEXT TO ADD: Comment the player you want to see added to the next poll. The following players are eligible:
  • Forwards: Olivier Nadeau, Ethan Miedema, Tyler Tulio, Tyson Kozak, Matteo Costantini, Aaron Huglen, William von Barnekow, Gustav Karlsson, Stiven Sardaryan, Linus Sjodin, Vasili Zelenov, Joel Berndtsson
  • Defensemen: Simon-Pier Brunet, Luke Osburn, Patrick Geary, Shane Keohane, Norwin Panocha
  • Goalies: Ryerson Leenders

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
This one was tough.
Prokhor needs to get back to form to have a chance (maybe there was a nagging injury)
Marjala and Richard are good, they both just have a tall ladder to climb.
Leinonen is a crap shoot of course but trending the right way.

Went with Ziemer because he might have the best opportunities as a well rounded middle 6 guy

Intermission

Jan 17, 2016
Western NY
+ William Von Barnekow who's also Anton Wahlberg's teammate playing for Malmö, Sweden against competition much older.

I like his size - and where that could lead his potential.

Reactions: HOOats

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I love how Prokhor plays but the dude was completely stagnant last year. Not a good sign for a 21 year old. Should be on track to come over next year but he'll have a difficult time if he doesn't take a jump this season

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I love how Prokhor plays but the dude was completely stagnant last year. Not a good sign for a 21 year old. Should be on track to come over next year but he'll have a difficult time if he doesn't take a jump this season

It's a big season for him. Coming off his playoffs from 2023, I was expecting big things. He's got sand in his game and was making plays. Then this last year... not much. Hell, just getting to watch him at times was hard - there was a game against Dynamo that he never saw the ice even though he dressed for example - and I wasn't always drawn to him as I was the season prior.

Reactions: Matt Ress

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
I'm optimistic about Leinonen. Of course a super ways off, but I like what I know of the kid and he's got lots of time to develop.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
It's a big season for him. Coming off his playoffs from 2023, I was expecting big things. He's got sand in his game and was making plays. Then this last year... not much. Hell, just getting to watch him at times was hard - there was a game against Dynamo that he never saw the ice even though he dressed for example - and I wasn't always drawn to him as I was the season prior.
I'm hoping he has a good enough season that they bring him over next year and get him the ice time and guidance that he needs.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
After voting for Strbak for three straight polls, now I get to vote for Rousek for the next several (judging by the add votes, I'm guessing it'll be a while...)

Add Geary.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Have to go with the 6'5" right shot defenseman with defensive ability and above average mobility. That player will get no shortage of opportunities based on his size and position.

After voting for Strbak for three straight polls, now I get to vote for Rousek for the next several (judging by the add votes, I'm guessing it'll be a while...)

Add Geary.
I really liked him going into last year and thought he had a great opportunity to force his way into the lineup, but he was uninspiring in his limited role. Tough to see him taking that next step when there is even tougher competition this year.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Have to go with the 6'5" right shot defenseman with defensive ability and above average mobility. That player will get no shortage of opportunities based on his size and position.

I really liked him going into last year and thought he had a great opportunity to force his way into the lineup, but he was uninspiring in his limited role. Tough to see him taking that next step when there is even tougher competition this year.
he is listed as 6'6" at eliteprospects :cool:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Poltapov and Kisakov

Such bad choices for 2nd rounders and a bit bizarre at the time

Both fallen far from the top

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Poltapov and Kisakov

Such bad choices for 2nd rounders and a bit bizarre at the time

Both fallen far from the top
I don't think that's accurate tbh. They were always longer-term prospects taken in consideration of our huge glut of picks and kids, so I wouldn't say they're off-schedule yet. Our Russian scouts were right about Komarov and Novikov in the covid era, so I'm willing to give them more time here.

Kisa has had a positive two years in Roch, while Poltapov is still a relative mystery and should still have some potential once he gets into a better development scenario than riding KHL pine.

Sure we can identify better options a few years on. but that's always the case if you want to cherry pick the couple second round steals.

Last edited:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I don't think that's accurate tbh. They were always longer-term prospects taken in consideration of our huge glut of picks and kids, so I wouldn't say they're off-schedule yet. Our Russian scouts were right about Komarov and Novikov in the covid era, so I'm willing to give them more time here.

Kisa has had a positive two years in Roch, while Poltapov is still a relative mystery and should still have some potential once he gets into a better development scenario than riding KHL pine.

Sure we can identify better options a few years on. but that's always the case if you want to cherry pick the couple second round steals.
They were taken a 3 years ago when there was no glut. Kisakov has had 2 positive years? 8 points and he weighs 160 pounds and you call that positive?

More like 2 wasted years.

There were a lot of prospects still left on the board when these guys were drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad