Red Sox/MLB 2024 Playoffs: Sox finish .500

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
It won't be. They're not going to do anything big. Ownership doesn't care. They want to keep costs down while waiting for the prospects.
I'm not suggesting that the Sox will have a $300+ million payroll next season.

I'm saying that they should have options available to them, and Breslow's now had an entire season to evaluate the organization's strengths and weaknesses. I think it'll be interesting to see how he goes about trying to address those weaknesses.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I'm not suggesting that the Sox will have a $300+ million payroll next season.

I'm saying that they should have options available to them, and Breslow's now had an entire season to evaluate the organization's strengths and weaknesses. I think it'll be interesting to see how he goes about trying to address those weaknesses.

I don't think it will be interesting because I don't think it will be anything different from the last few off-seasons. I think Breslow is operating under the exact same mandate Breslow was working under.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I mean, the Sox not going guns blazing this off-season isn't the worst thing. Last year with the holes we had it was terrible, but the fact that we do have a young core and some A+ prospects who are almost ready to come up makes me think that they're not too far off. You do need a top line pitcher and some bullpen help, but other than that you don't need a $300 million off-season to be competitive in 2025.

What you don't want is another Sandoval/Hanley off-season that's going to set you back.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
In my opinion the Red Sox have the same exact options this offseason as last. Highly rated prospects and money to spend. So what's the difference?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Double-header is underway in Atlanta. Ozzie Albies cranked one in the bottom of the third to give Atlanta a 2-0 lead

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
I don't think it will be interesting because I don't think it will be anything different from the last few off-seasons. I think Breslow is operating under the exact same mandate Bloom was working under.
Even if they're operating under the same mandate, I still think there will be a number of interesting storylines to follow. Off the top of my head...
  • I think there's the potential for a front office shakeup.
  • I think it's fairly likely that they'll trade one of their OF this winter.
  • They probably need another starter - does that come via trade or free agency?
  • They need to figure out what to do at 2B in both the short and long-term.
  • They'll need a new closer and probably a couple more reliable bullpen arms.
  • At some point, they'll need to address the lefty/righty balance issue with their lineup in the long-term.

I mean, the Sox not going guns blazing this off-season isn't the worst thing.
I believe the term you're looking for is "full throttle".

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Even if they're operating under the same mandate, I still think there will be a number of interesting storylines to follow. Off the top of my head...
  • I think there's the potential for a front office shakeup.
  • I think it's fairly likely that they'll trade one of their OF this winter.
  • They probably need another starter - does that come via trade or free agency?
  • They need to figure out what to do at 2B in both the short and long-term.
  • They'll need a new closer and probably a couple more reliable bullpen arms.
  • At some point, they'll need to address the lefty/righty balance issue with their lineup in the long-term.

I believe the term you're looking for is "full throttle".

There's plenty of storylines to keep the winter entertaining. Problem is come Spring Training all we'll have is a few average relievers and a middle starter added and a front office hyping the hell out of "the kids"

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Well if the Mets lose the first game they at least will see a AAA pitcher in Game 2
MLB has told both teams that the game one winner cannot have a champagne celebration after the first game, though it'd be funny if the Braves came out drunk for the second game.

If Atlanta wins game one they're locked into the 5 seed, making game 2 completely meaningless for them. If it were the Mets taking game 1, they could finish as the 5 seed or 6 seed depending on the outcome of the nightcap, so both teams would have something to play for. 5 seed goes to San Diego and the 6 seed goes to Milwaukee - not sure which matchup I'd prefer tbqh.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
MLB has told both teams that the game one winner cannot have a champagne celebration after the first game, though it'd be funny if the Braves came out drunk for the second game.

If Atlanta wins game one they're locked into the 5 seed, making game 2 completely meaningless for them. If it were the Mets taking game 1, they could finish as the 5 seed or 6 seed depending on the outcome of the nightcap, so both teams would have something to play for. 5 seed goes to San Diego and the 6 seed goes to Milwaukee - not sure which matchup I'd prefer tbqh.
My gut feeling is Arizona sneaks in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad