Red Sox/MLB 2024 Playoffs: Sox finish .500 - Luis Tiant has died at the age of 83

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Yankees win even with Judge and Cole sucking. Probably not going to be a long series. Doogie picked them up too.

Cleveland/NY would be a good ALCS.

NL is wild though, Mets pulling it out in the late innings again and this Dodgers/Padres game is as crazy as expected.
I don't think that Yankee series is close to being over. I was expecting the Yankees to win Game 1, but I still think the Royals win it in 4...

That Padre/Dodger series sure ratcheted up the intensity...Advantage, San Diego.

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Hate the Yankees and Dodgers --- but I think one of them is going to win it.

So, I can't root against the Dodgers until the Yankees are out.

Such a conundrum.

Reactions: BMC

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Hate the Yankees and Dodgers --- but I think one of them is going to win it.

So, I can't root against the Dodgers until the Yankees are out.

Such a conundrum.
Dodgers are no shoe in to make it to the dance.
Their lineup has holes.
Hitters 1-3 are the best in baseball, no doubt.
However, Kiki hitting 4th?
Muncy is a .228 career hitter
Edmond batting 8th?

If the Padres can score 4-5 runs a game, I like their chances.
It is interesting that Cleveland and Detroit have made it this far, both teams finished top 5 in league ERA, their hitting not so good.
Proves that pitching is much more important than hitting.

Reactions: sarge88

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I feel like everyone who's been to Fenway Park has a Luis Tiant story. He was just a presence there.

For me it was before game 4 of the 2003 ALDS. We got there early and were walking around looking for food and Tiant just comes strolling down the concourse saying hi to everyone. Good dude.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I feel like everyone who's been to Fenway Park has a Luis Tiant story. He was just a presence there.

For me it was before game 4 of the 2003 ALDS. We got there early and were walking around looking for food and Tiant just comes strolling down the concourse saying hi to everyone. Good dude.

Not to mention he was a truly great pitcher who should be in the Hall of Fame.

Reactions: BMC and Gee Wally

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
He came to a baseball camp in Melrose I used to go to as a child. My brother got his autograph on his hat. I think I have a ball somewhere too.

From what I remember, he was very kind. Talked to all of us. He just seemed like a great guy. Loved baseball. Loved the game.

Rest in Peace.

• Love

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
He's a hell of a lot more worthy of the Hall than recent inductions like Morris and Blyleven
Hell, compare Tiant 's numbers with Catfish Hunter. He definitely had a better career. The only difference is Hunter was lucky enough to be on 5 championship teams and Tiant wasn't (but was an absolute force in the one WS he got to pitch in and may have been MVP if they could've scratched one more run out in game 3 or 7).

Reactions: CDJ and BMC

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

He was one of the best, a pitcher that pitched, not a pitch count pitcher for sure..........oh and should be in the Hall of Fame.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
My earliest baseball memories were of the Sox in the '75 playoffs. I remember my dad calling in me and my brother when we were playing outside. Tiant got on base and was dancing off second like he was going to steal. I was elated.

I got to meet him once, he appeared at our building (work) as they always had a retired Red Sox player come on opening day, to raise $$ for charity. Tiant was gracious with every single person.

Reactions: BMC and GordonHowe

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
They say no matter where you sat in Fenway Park, when Tiant pitched, he looked you straight in the eye at least once a game.

Luis was among a select few . . . Orr, Bird, a couple others, that you never heard a single bad word about in the press. We even loved him after he was a Yankee, and no other baseball player ever survived that.

R.I.P. El Tiante, and thanks for pulling up next to that bus full of Junior High kids coming home from a field trip on Route 3 and waving from your convertible for a good minute and a half. It made that trip very special.

Reactions: BMC and GordonHowe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad