GDT: 2024 Playoff Bandwagon Thread

Who are you rooting for?

• Total voters

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
It brings the million dollar question was it the goalie, the defense, or a combination of both when we almost won three cups in a row? I think VAsi is a good goalie, but looked better with the cup defenses in front of him.
Did you watch the individual games? There were MANY big games that he stole for us. And for many seasons too.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Did you watch the individual games? There were MANY big games that he stole for us. And for many seasons too.

And how does that change what he posted? Tampa for 3 years had the best defense in the league which coincides with Vasi's 3 best playoff runs, without Hedman in 2019 against Columbus, McDonagh in 2023/2024 how has Vasi looked in the playoffs? He's been lit up a lot of games without that stacked defense too.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Goalie/Defense/System synergy is a lot more complicated than us fans make it out to be. The Budaj-Bishop trade is a prime example, both goalies were very good before being dealt, and looked like dog shit on their new teams.

You need your defense to support your goalie and vis versa, I feel like we haven't done that over the last couple of years.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Goalie/Defense/System synergy is a lot more complicated than us fans make it out to be. The Budaj-Bishop trade is a prime example, both goalies were very good before being dealt, and looked like dog shit on their new teams.

You need your defense to support your goalie and vis versa, I feel like we haven't done that over the last couple of years.

Bishop was nowhere near top form when he was dealt. He as already having an off year.

Bishop was a stud here right away too and played under a much worse defense, Vasi has kinda been spoiled his entire career playing while Tampa was peaking. Tampas defense has finally become average instead top 5-10 like he usually gets. Vasi isnt in any worse a position than most goalies, and most of them were never really had it as great as he did most of his career.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Man I wish we would have played the Bruins or the leafs. Both teams are far inferior to the panthers and it always takes us a round to get into playoff mode.

Reactions: Hoek

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Man I wish we would have played the Bruins or the leafs. Both teams are far inferior to the panthers and it always takes us a round to get into playoff mode.
I think Florida might be the favorite to win it all right now.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Bishop was nowhere near top form when he was dealt. He as already having an off year.

Bishop was a stud here right away too and played under a much worse defense, Vasi has kinda been spoiled his entire career playing while Tampa was peaking. Tampas defense has finally become average instead top 5-10 like he usually gets. Vasi isnt in any worse a position than most goalies, and most of them were never really had it as great as he did most of his career.

No, 100% disagree. The previous year he was .926 SV % and .939 SV% in the postseason. He was dealt because of his cap hit and because he couldn't stay healthy, not because of his play. We wanted the cap space and to cement Vasy into the #1 spot who appeared to have a better long term outlook. His "poor" SV% his final year here was because he was pushed into a 1b role from the start and had to deal with the distraction of trade rumors.

The very next season Bishop went to Dallas and completely turned that team around, Dallas went from 27th in goals allowed to 5th with the same clusterf*** group of defensemen, the only thing that changed was the goalie. The following season he had the best SV% in the league and finished second in Vezina voting. IDK, I think that's pretty damn good if he was "nowhere near top form".

Anyways that's not even my point, the point is he went to LA and looked awful in that system and was a key reason LA missed the postseason, Budaj looked awful here despite having helped LA to a wild card spot at the time of the trade by flopping around like a fish.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yes. Vasi was unreal and so was the defense.
We were miles ahead of other teams when it came to luxury items. We probably could have won without any single one of them. I mean we kind of did -- 2020 we won without Stamkos, and in 2021 Hedman played injured throughout the playoffs.

I do think we would have won either of those years with average goaltending. I do question if we could have won without either Point or Kucherov, but I think we probably could have won without one or the other, but not both.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
That's why Cooper challenged the GI call when we thought we migh've tied Game 5 at 2. Because sometimes even the most obvious GI calls will be blown by the NHL.

Reactions: Hoek

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
Yeah, after the shit they overturned and upheld in their favor on two dubious calls in G5 against Tampa, to then not overturn that goal with blatant GI today is ridiculous.

I've never believed in the NHL is rigged but after seeing what happened against Tampa & the Game 3 Lauko call I mean wtf is Goalie Interference!?!? The league doesn't even know, not buying Coyle "dove" into his own goalie.

These people are in the wrong on this one! So in the wrong! This is egregious! You hear me? Egregious

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
The situation room actually released an explanation for upholding the call stating that Swayman would not have been able to make the save anyways.

Bogus
Oh but somehow Bob would've when Duclair was interfering? It's horseshit. The Panthers are 5/5 on calls. No goal has stood against them nor has one of theirs been called back IIRC. I've seen all but game 3 against Boston but five for f***ing five. That's absurd. We are fortunate to get one or two, and in both instances for us we got neither.

You can blame Boston for not responding at 2-2 in this game, but when a phantom ass call that's not evened by calling embellishment happens, which leads to the tying goal, it's deflating. Then they take the lead. It's a crock of shit.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
After game one I said on the main boards that Florida would win the series in 5 games and a couple of Bruins fans gave me laugh reactions to the post. I am this close to getting the greatest pleasure of my life of getting to call them out for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad