Golf: 2024 Open Championship - Rory-demption Edition

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I would pay money to see Lowry hit off the that platform.

Brown out here taking drags on the course

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I have no idea who Thriston Lawrence is, but this guy f***ed around and finds himself in the final group tomorrow

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Feels like the 2018 US Open when Daniel Berger and Tony Finau posted 66s early on Saturday, watched the leaders endure brutal conditions, and suddenly they found themselves in the final pairing on Sunday. Both of them swiftly shot themselves out of contention on the final day, and I expect Lawrence/Burns/Henley to do the same tomorrow.

I really don't know who to root for at this point. The weather is supposed to be pretty clear so I doubt a guy from way back can post early and have a shot.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
These guys let Scheffler stay too close. Also with Johnson, Morikawa and Rahm all 6 shots back and Thomas 4 shots back it's all set up for one of them to be -4 on the first 9 holes and almost leading and then get a few bogeys and fall out of it.

Last edited:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Rose and Burns each at +800 are both worth just 50$ a piece...decent chance either of them can win it an those odds are crazy bad, if Im at +10,000 did not have so many in front of him I'd even say those odds are crazy given he's played well the last month

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is such a weird leaderboard for a major. A lot of players within five. Most of them are completely nobodies or players you wouldn’t expect right now to be in it.

I have no clue who will win. If I was to put down a guess, I think Xander, but it’s anyones game going into tomorrow. If I was to be rooting for someone, I’d probably say Xander, Rose, or Scott. I feel all of them probably deserve one more major than they actually have.

Reactions: Dr John Carlson

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
If I was to be rooting for someone, I’d probably say Xander, Rose, or Scott. I feel all of them probably deserve one more major than they actually have.
Agreed. All of them would look believable as 2-time major winners. Scottie would look believable as a 3-time winner. I was actually thinking about this exact thing early in the round when it felt like it would be a Lowry cruise - he'd be weak as far as 2-time major winners go. And none of these other guys really feel like they're ready to breakthrough. Henley has had some fringe major contentions here and there but everyone else is pretty green. Daniel Brown would be the worst major winner in modern times, I'm almost positive.

I said elsewhere that Rose feels a lot like Ernie Els at Royal Lytham in 2012, in that he knows very well that this might be his last great shot. I guess I'd pick him as the winner based on vibes, but I'm really just going to root for as close a finish as possible.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Agreed. All of them would look believable as 2-time major winners. Scottie would look believable as a 3-time winner. I was actually thinking about this exact thing early in the round when it felt like it would be a Lowry cruise - he'd be weak as far as 2-time major winners go. And none of these other guys really feel like they're ready to breakthrough. Henley has had some fringe major contentions here and there but everyone else is pretty green. Daniel Brown would be the worst major winner in modern times, I'm almost positive.

I said elsewhere that Rose feels a lot like Ernie Els at Royal Lytham in 2012, in that he knows very well that this might be his last great shot. I guess I'd pick him as the winner based on vibes, but I'm really just going to root for as close a finish as possible.
Only thing with Scottie why I'm not yet sure he's a deserving three time major winner yet is three in three years is a lot. Scottie's only really been a top player for three years. I'm sure Scottie will get a third at some point (whether tomorrow or the upcoming years), but that seems pretty good livings to collect three after really only being in with a chance for three years. Has Scottie even ever had a very close call where he lost one? I know he's had a couple other top 5's where he didn't win, but I remember all of them being a distant top 5 from the lead or backdooring those finishes.

Xander's been close in majors for like 7 years. Scott and Rose were contending for them for like 10-15 years. Each only has 1. Obviously none have had the year Scottie's had, but still players tend to have some close calls where they lose them and Scottie's had his top 10's and top 5's, but hasn't really had any "that's a tough loss" majors yet.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Shaping up that it would be a travesty if it were anyone besides Xander.

Scottie nowhere close for bird on 13, we don’t need to see him anymore. He’s out of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad