Olympics: 2024 Olympics - Opening Ceremony - 1:30 PM Eastern

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Good luck to LA.
This ceremony has made every opening ceremony obsolete.
Wow, incredible work by Thomas Jolly.
All the symbols were there like a big fat finger towards Macron and his buddies, as well as the racists of our country.
A tad too long but yes, incredible artistry and entertainment, old and recent music, combining history lessons. :clap:

Reactions: gary69 and Evilo

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
BBC crew had all the info ready to go. Named every athlete and what they're known for as they were passed the torch. Really need Ron MacLean here. He would've gotten it all right.

not surprised with the BBC.
but again just slightly being fair here. it wasn't just CBC. so if we had Ron here and he wasn't given the information. unless he had google at his finger tips not much he could do. (I'm not disagreeing with you. REALLY not a fan of Andi and Perdita and the other two people. not for an Opening Ceremonies anyway).

Reactions: I am not exposed

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
but again just slightly being fair here. it wasn't just CBC. so if we had Ron here and he wasn't given the information. unless he had google at his finger tips not much he could do. (I'm not disagreeing with you. REALLY not a fan of Andi and Perdita and the other two people. not for an Opening Ceremonies anyway).
The quality of commentators all around the globe has been desastrous lately.
We had WTF moments several times on the french TV too.
"LeBron James the San Antonio Spurs icon"
Or
"Brazil's best chance at a medal is obviously the male football team" (they're not qualified).

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The quality of commentators all around the globe has been desastrous lately.
We had WTF moments several times on the french TV too.
"LeBron James the San Antonio Spurs icon"
Or
"Brazil's best chance at a medal is obviously the male football team" (they're not qualified).
Finnish public broadcaster Yle commentators had trouble identifying Nadal... :facepalm: I hear the WBD owned free channel did much better, though they had a long time retired Yle guy doing it.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
just light the thing already jaysus chroist
4½ hour torture over

Come on. It happens once every 4 years and the committee have been working on this for 7. I'll never get people wishing it ends as soon as possible so they can go back at doing all the really special things they can accomplish at any given time. Just record it and watch the highlights.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I'm fairly sure the French organizers would've given the info to commentators around the world so that they would know who the torch bearers were. I doubt the vast majority of people would know all of them otherwise.

And while I understand that eventually CBC and CTV have to hand over the reigns from the old generation to a new generation of commentators, I hope that they will do a better job of choosing the right people for the commentary otherwise it makes watching the broadcast a bad experience.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Finnish public broadcaster Yle commentators had trouble identifying Nadal... :facepalm: I hear the WBD owned free channel did much better, though they had a long time retired Yle guy doing it.
Their biggest crime was not giving recognition to Sandstorm playing. Social media is furious.

And yeah. TV5 did a much better job with two good announcers who actually know sports.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Come on. It happens once every 4 years and the committee have been working on this for 7. I'll never get people wishing it ends as soon as possible so they can go back at doing all the really special things they can accomplish at any given time. Just record it and watch the highlights.
Not my most favorite of opening ceremonies, but it was still good in being unique and very different from what traditional opening ceremonies are like. However without it being held in a stadium, the overall feel and scope of the ceremony felt small in comparison to if they had held it at the Stade de France full of people.

Also this had to be the most diverse, equity and inclusive opening ceremony in the history of the Olympics with practically no one left out and not being represented. I guess it should've been expected.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Also hilarious is the US people not understanding the Assassin's creed reference because if they play it, IT MUST be american.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad