OT: 2024 Olympics: Member when they were amateurs?

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
And she didn't just squeak out a win, she was damn near a full minute ahead of the next bikers. Also, that 2/3/4 battle, there was probably about a 6" total difference between them crossing the finish line
It was a perfect example of “group 2 syndrome” where everyone doesn’t want to be the one to put in majority of the work to pull back a breakaway rider. Theoretically, they should have been able to but it’s happened with groups much larger than 3.

Just sad for Belgium and the Netherlands that they keep finding a way to mess up the Olympics RR.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Nice to see Jordan Chiles get a bronze, but did that Romanian gymnast get hosed? They accepted the U.S. appeal to review her start score, which bumped Chiles up a tenth and into third. But they penalized the Romanian a tenth for stepping out, which replays seem to show she didn't. But they apparently wouldn't accept her appeal to review the penalty, which if taken away would have put her above Chiles adjusted score. ruh?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Nice to see Jordan Chiles get a bronze, but did that Romanian gymnast get hosed? They accepted the U.S. appeal to review her start score, which bumped Chiles up a tenth and into third. But they penalized the Romanian a tenth for stepping out, which replays seem to show she didn't. But they apparently wouldn't accept her appeal to review the penalty, which if taken away would have put her above Chiles adjusted score. ruh?
I don’t pretend to understand gymnastics or its rules. The 2nd Romanian that went after Biles looked better than Chiles and the Romanian who lost her medal

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I don’t pretend to understand gymnastics or its rules. The 2nd Romanian that went after Biles looked better than Chiles and the Romanian who lost her medal

Yeah, shes the one I was talking about that had the tenth seemingly wrongly deducted and then her appeal to look at it denied. I wasn't talking about the Romanian who was temporarily in third before Chiles' appeal (didn't realize that she was also Romanian or else I'd have been clearer about who I meant). Tbh, I thought the one we're both talking about looked a lot better than even Biles, but I understand the concept of Biles start score being so much higher than everybody else that even if she stepped out a couple times she could still outscore most others

edit: I'm no expert either, but the commentators, who are, thought that Sabrina Voinea (that's who we're talking about) should have jumped into first over the other Romanian after she finished her routine (that was before Biles and Andrescue went).

Last edited:

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Gabby Thomas just won the 200m gold medal

Bachelors in Neurobiology from Harvard
Masters in Public Health from the University of Texas Health Science Center

From a USA Today article:
"After training three-to-six hours a day, Thomas volunteers at a clinic in Austin, Texas, for people who don't have health insurance. She leads a hypertension program there and told NBC News she ultimately dreams of running a hospital or a nonprofit to expand access to healthcare."

WOOF!

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Holy shit that 1500 meter finals was incredible. Cole Hocker upsetting the two shit-talking Olympic and World Champions.

Yeah, both heavy favorites, but in all fairness, is Kerr really a shit talker or more just responding to Ingebrigsten, who pretty clearly is? Honest question based on just a couple clips I've seen of both. Nice to see that Ingebrigsten didn't even finish in medal position lol.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Gabby Thomas just won the 200m gold medal

Bachelors in Neurobiology from Harvard
Masters in Public Health from the University of Texas Health Science Center

From a USA Today article:
"After training three-to-six hours a day, Thomas volunteers at a clinic in Austin, Texas, for people who don't have health insurance. She leads a hypertension program there and told NBC News she ultimately dreams of running a hospital or a nonprofit to expand access to healthcare."

WOOF!
1722980140442.jpeg

Not exactly a chore to look at, either.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Gabby Thomas is great. She's somebody that took a privileged childhood (daughter of professors and a private school education) and parlayed that into an elite athletic career, multiple Olympic medals, and a huge potential career as an epidemiologist afterwards. I don't mean it as an insult in any way: there are tons of people who took that background and squandered it, and she is doing the complete opposite and building on it. That's super-impressive.

One other note: It's unusual that the extreme nerd/academic in the Olympics is a track and field star. It's typically the rowers (Cameron Winklevoss - Wikipedia) or the fencers (Lee Kiefer - Wikipedia)! :laugh:

Last edited:

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Holy shit that 1500 meter finals was incredible. Cole Hocker upsetting the two shit-talking Olympic and World Champions.

That was unreal. Ingebrigtsen was so hyper-focused on Kerr that he neglected to consider anyone else.

Going into the final bend, Hocker was boxed in behind him on the inside lane. Ingebrigtsen went wide to force Kerr to run farther but by doing so he left the inside lane wide open for Hocker to pass.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I have less of an idea about handball but france just had to burn 6 seconds with possession to win. French Coach called a TO when it looked like Germany had a posture of the game is over. French had to pass it in after the timeout. They turned it over and Germany scored to tie it with less than a second left. Germany won in OT by 1.

No TO call and that pass in play never happens. Of course the French player could have thrown it high in the air to create a jump ball type situation and the clock would have started on the first touch.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Her dominance is quite hilarious, actually. She's not even close to her physical peak (only 20) and gave up just 2 points the entire Olympics.

AND she dropped 8 lbs to compete in a lower weight class because the Olympics doesn't use her normal one. (Same, I think, for the woman she beat for gold.) And because she dropped in class she had to go into the tournament as an unseeded competitor with no ranking.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
AND she dropped 8 lbs to compete in a lower weight class because the Olympics doesn't use her normal one. (Same, I think, for the woman she beat for gold.) And because she dropped in class she had to go into the tournament as an unseeded competitor with no ranking.
I'm sure *that* decision was popular with the high seeds she drew in the early rounds.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Besides Elor, this is another one of my new favorite athletes who I didn't pay attention to until the Olympics. Teddy Riner, judo legend from Guadeloupe (a French island in the Caribbean), is 6'8" and 310 pounds. He makes the 90+ kg heavyweights look like boys in comparison!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad