OT: 2024 Olympics: Member when they were amateurs?

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
eh yes and no on the last point. Let's take swimming as an example. If it were the best (insert number here) in the world that qualified for a given event were automatically entered regardless of nationality that would be one thing, but that's not the case: it's typically 2 per event per country for men's and women's, aside from freestyle which is the 6 best since the relays are a thing in the 100 and 200M. It's quite conceivable that someone that's one of literally the 10 best in the world at say the 100M backstroke would have had no chance in hell at making the US Olympic team. I have no problem if said athlete wants to go through the whole process of switching to representing say USVI or Ireland if they're legally capable of being a passport holder for those countries so that they can compete rather than being an inevitable "also ran" at their countries qualifications knowing they won't beat a Michael Phelps or Ryan Lochte to get into the top 2.
That does kinda suck that some of the best won't even make the Olymipc team because their team mates are better than them. But I think someone participating for say Sudan should be Sudanese either born or naturalized and no longer allowed to participate for the old country.

Also with all this being said I was actually speaking about the 2 Africans on the Chinese or Japanese (I can't remember which one) women's basketball team.

Not a huge deal just a minor annoyance.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
That's not the same, inherent biological advantages in combat sports is dangerous.

You have doping testing for reasons, this is the weirdest case since it's of no choice to this person, but on the other hand they failed doping testing and disqualified from other events due to higher than permitted testosterone.

Based on what I’ve read, the only test they failed was “an undisclosed gender test” (whatever that means) that disqualified them right before a championship match against a Russian fighter. And my understanding is that apparently the ones determine the results of that test were a Russian organization that has since been discredited and banned. And she’s passed every other test she’s ever taken, having competed in international boxing competitions for years. So I’d take that with a grain of salt.

She’s had these “biological advantages” her entire life, yet she posses a 9-5 career record, and in previous Olympics, she’s finished 33rd, 17th, top 8 and 2nd. If she had such an advantage as it’s being made out to be, you’d think she’d have found much more success.

Ultimately, this is a big nothingburger that’s being pushed by those with an agenda. She’s been competing for years to no complaints and her opponents don’t have any issue facing her.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
3x3 basketball: U.S. men currently 0-3, U.S. women currently 1-3.

Looking at the rosters compared to the talent not playing, I've got to wonder if there's not some problem with coordination between 3x3 and 5x5 in choosing their respective teams. Wouldn't there be stars who'd be interested in winning an Olympic gold medal even if they weren't on the 5 person teams, kind of like how some of the better singles tennis players are giving doubles a shot, just to get a chance at an Olympic medal?

Let's see, Jimmer Fredette or Jayson Tatum, who to chose, who to chose . . .

Or, look at the WNBA All Stars who beat the Olympic team in a game a couple weeks ago. Wouldn't women like Arike Ogunbowale, Caitlin Clark, and Angel Reese be interested in competing for a medal?

I know the 3x3 game is a bit different from 5x5, but not nearly as different as singles and doubles tennis.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
3x3 basketball: U.S. men currently 0-3, U.S. women currently 1-3.

Looking at the rosters compared to the talent not playing, I've got to wonder if there's not some problem with coordination between 3x3 and 5x5 in choosing their respective teams. Wouldn't there be stars who'd be interested in winning an Olympic gold medal even if they weren't on the 5 person teams, kind of like how some of the better singles tennis players are giving doubles a shot, just to get a chance at an Olympic medal?

Let's see, Jimmer Fredette or Jayson Tatum, who to chose, who to chose . . .

Or, look at the WNBA All Stars who beat the Olympic team in a game a couple weeks ago. Wouldn't women like Arike Ogunbowale, Caitlin Clark, and Angel Reese be interested in competing for a medal?

I know the 3x3 game is a bit different from 5x5, but not nearly as different as singles and doubles tennis.
Ice Cube should have ran 3v3, since he has the Big3

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Not found. Was tweet deleted?

Apparently. It was a great example of nsyncronized diving...

1722607875196.png

Last edited:

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
USA v Japan mens volleyball and watching the Japanese get turned up every time they win a rally is inspirational

Last edited:
Reactions: toastmasterbone

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
why dont we send some of these MMA goon chicks to fight her. Sure they cant kick but damn. I can fight pretty okay and wouldnt want to tangle with one in a ring.

Well, until recently, acceptance towards the LGBTQ+ community was on the rise. Thus, you were seeing more drag queens because they became more comfortable being that person out in public.
Did you ever stop to think the decrease in acceptance is because of it being demanded, shoved in your face, we're coming for your kids, ad so on?

I don't care what people are or what they do. But don't act like you want to be treated normal when you have a parade and dress like a clown and make out in the street. The same goes for some dude open carrying an AR in walmart. Don't act like it's normal just because it's legal.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don't care what people are or what they do. But don't act like you want to be treated normal when you have a parade and dress like a clown and make out in the street. The same goes for some dude open carrying an AR in walmart. Don't act like it's normal just because it's legal.

I don't know how common Pride parades are where you're located, but if you feel like it's oversaturated in your location, write to the city. Or, since I'm assuming it's only once or twice a year like it is...most everywhere, maybe deal with it?

Also, if you have a problem with an LGBTQ+ couple making out in the street, but don't have that same distain for a straight couple making out in the street, then you DO care what people are or what they do.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I don't know how common Pride parades are where you're located, but if you feel like it's oversaturated in your location, write to the city. Or, since I'm assuming it's only once or twice a year like it is...most everywhere, maybe deal with it?

Also, if you have a problem with an LGBTQ+ couple making out in the street, but don't have that same distain for a straight couple making out in the street, then you DO care what people are or what they do.
You completely missed the point (which you will deny).

Just like the guy open carrying an AR in the park can't expect to be treated like he isn't an outlier, the two dudes wearing less than what would gain unwanted attention at the beach making out in the street can't not be expected to be treated as an outlier.

The agressive demand and in your face nature is what causes people to resist. Even pro 2a people like me give the idiot carrying an AR in the park a side eye. Why can't the same be said of provacteurs whatever their cause?

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
You completely missed the point (which you will deny).

Just like the guy open carrying an AR in the park can't expect to be treated like he isn't an outlier, the two dudes wearing less than what would gain unwanted attention at the beach making out in the street can't not be expected to be treated as an outlier.

The agressive demand and in your face nature is what causes people to resist. Even pro 2a people like me give the idiot carrying an AR in the park a side eye. Why can't the same be said of provacteurs whatever their cause?

I won’t deny that there are those in drag that are much more flamboyant and “out there” and I can absolutely see why they would get on people’s nerves. There are many more, however, that are much more toned down, yet get the same ire, hate and prosecution as they are lumped together with their more flamboyant members.

To use your example, I’m sure you hate it that the idiot carrying an AR in the park causes others to treat you differently, right? But I imagine your treatment doesn’t escalate to violence, as it often seems to do in those in opposition of the LGBTQ+.

But (to get this back to the topic of the Olympics) the performance in the Opening Ceremony was hardly overly sexualized or provocative. The only reason it drew the attention it did was because many people thought it was mocking the Last Supper. And many of those same people (who supposedly boycotted the Olympics) decided to go after multiple female competitors because they don’t look like traditional women.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
why dont we send some of these MMA goon chicks to fight her. Sure they cant kick but damn. I can fight pretty okay and wouldnt want to tangle with one in a ring.

Did you ever stop to think the decrease in acceptance is because of it being demanded, shoved in your face, we're coming for your kids, ad so on?

You know, that is a great analogy. I REALLY don't like open carry. I think it is needlessly provocative, and not helpful at all. Just carry your gun concealed and act normal and pray you never have to use it.

Listen, its so common now I randomly walked into a shitshow of AR-15 carrying Proud Boys and Antifa on both sides of a Trans reading to children event in San Antonio one night while just trying to show some clients the Riverwalk. Wow that was something. The cops were all balled up in one area looking like they didnt know whether to shit or go blind.

When somebody turned the lights out in Pinehurst last year (or was it two years?) another one of these events was going on during it and everybody assumed it has something to do with it even though it was clearly a dress rehearsal for something bigger. Some random town in NC, with this event going on at the exact time.

Had a buddy who was a manager at Cisco. Said he had to endure "drag queen story hour" struggle sessions WEEKLY in 2020. He quit.

It is the absolute pervasiveness of this stuff which makes people wonder what is going on. People are willing to tolerate it when it occurred naturally in places like Key West and San Francisco and NYC- but not when it is astro-turfed into our daily lives everywhere- you are going to have pushback. And my friends who are gay have a real problem with the "T+Q" portion of LGBTQ sucking up all the oxygen the the room and giving them a bad name. They want nothing to do with it. They are not "queers"- they are normal Americans who just want to be married to other men and be left alone. They don't want to dress in garish outfits and cavort before children and mentally ill white women. I'm legitimately concerned that their hard earned rights will be eroded by the backlash to this fringe element in the group that were forced upon them.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Twitter was OK before Musk bought it. The feed was relevant, bots were limited, there weren’t as many ads, people were banned/suspended for saying stupid and offensive shit instead of being retweeted by Elon with “Concerning” or “!” as his only response.
No it wasn’t. It was still a shitshow but a shitshow more geared in one direction of an echo chamber. Now you see the full shitshow of both sides of nutjobs. Neither is any good.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00