OT: 2024 Olympics: Member when they were amateurs?

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
IMG_3844.jpeg

No surprise

Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Watching the replay tonight, it's legitimately insane that Biles can jump that high. I know the floor acts like a trampoline, but she's 4'8 able to reach 12' on her floor routine. Damn!
Being tiny actually helps her immensely! Of course being incredibly flexible and athletic helps as well.

Honestly it's a shame Suni Lee doesn't get more attention bc she's about as close to Biles as someone can get, and after taking the team on her shoulders in 2020 and then nearly retiring since due to kidney disease she deserves a lot more hype than she gets

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Giving the ACC credit for athletes who never competed in the ACC is funny stuff. Cal and Stanford athletes should count as PAc-12, which the vast majority of those counts

Reactions: DaveG and LakeLivin

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
The problem is the era.
1) Most people weren't alive when he played.
2) He played when there were what, 9-10 NBA teams? Not to mention the training that guys go through now. There were no Jordans, Magic, Kobe, etc...

That's not to say that if Bill Russell played today, he wouldn't have the same advantages of training, nutrition, immersion into Basketball, etc.. that these stars did and wouldn't be just as dominant though, but it leads people to over look guys for those eras.

As much as I hated Bird back then, the guy was a freak. Probably the most mentally strong player I've ever seen, including Jordan.

This is really why it's tough to compare players from different eras, in any sport. I know it's a fun argument to have, but anyone making the "Today's guys would totally dominate those old timers!" doesn't get it.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Giving the ACC credit for athletes who never competed in the ACC is funny stuff. Cal and Stanford athletes should count as PAc-12, which the vast majority of those counts
Don't get me wrong I love people being proud of where they are from and the people who got them there. But NCAA conferences taking credit for Olympic medals is a huge stretch and honestly pretty classless.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If anything the Women's boxing is showing why Title IX is needed to protect women's sports.

Does Title IX apply there? To my understanding, the two in the title bout are women and have never claimed or been identified as anything other than a woman.

Reactions: cptjeff

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Does Title IX apply there? To my understanding, the two in the title bout are women and have never claimed or been identified as anything other than a woman.

I haven't seen the women's boxing but it does seem two of the "women" in the competition have failed gender identity test.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I haven't seen the women's boxing but it does seem two of the "women" in the competition have failed gender identity test.

Everything I've seen is that they failed an "unspecified gender test" in 2023 World Championships, which doesn't tell much of anything. But the Olympics governing body has declared them both female competitors.

Those two have competed in previous Tokyo Olympics with no controversy. And even their opponents in this Olympics have stated they don't have an issue with them competing.

Carini further said she is not qualified to decide whether Khelif should be allowed to compete, but she had no problem fighting her.

"I am not here to judge or pass judgment,” Carini said. “If an athlete is this way, and in that sense it’s not right or it is right, it’s not up to me to decide. I just did my job as a boxer. I got into the ring and fought. I did it with my head held high and with a broken heart for not having finished the last kilometer.”

Reactions: cptjeff

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
it's a complicated one. if i understand correctly, the algerian that won gold today has a genetic condition that leads to her having "some" XY chromosomes. women with this condition also have vaginas, old dallas star 3rd jerseys, and have been documented to get pregnant / have children. she has always been a woman; she is not trans, and didn't "decide" to be a woman for competition. at least, if the test for "woman" is non-surgically created ladyparts that can gestate and push out a tiny human. if the test is 'are any XY chromosomes present' in a blood sample - then she fails. i guess the flipside is if XX chromosomes are present, that criterion would mean she isn't a man either.

i don't know if she's what we used to call a hermaphrodite, or if that word is allowed anymore. i didn't think they were able to have kids, so maybe this is a rarer form?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
At a certain point, its like complaining about Michael Phelps getting an unfair advantage because his arms were longer than anyone else. If this is how those women have been since birth, then they have a genetic advantage and them's the breaks. If you can prove they've been doping to take more testosterone, then ban them.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
it's a complicated one. if i understand correctly, the algerian that won gold today has a genetic condition that leads to her having "some" XY chromosomes. women with this condition also have vaginas, old dallas star 3rd jerseys, and have been documented to get pregnant / have children. she has always been a woman; she is not trans, and didn't "decide" to be a woman for competition. at least, if the test for "woman" is non-surgically created ladyparts that can gestate and push out a tiny human. if the test is 'are any XY chromosomes present' in a blood sample - then she fails. i guess the flipside is if XX chromosomes are present, that criterion would mean she isn't a man either.

i don't know if she's what we used to call a hermaphrodite, or if that word is allowed anymore. i didn't think they were able to have kids, so maybe this is a rarer form?

I see what you did there...

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Everything I've seen is that they failed an "unspecified gender test" in 2023 World Championships, which doesn't tell much of anything. But the Olympics governing body has declared them both female competitors.

Those two have competed in previous Tokyo Olympics with no controversy. And even their opponents in this Olympics have stated they don't have an issue with them competing.

Thread worth reading

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

You'd have a point of these two had been male, but claimed to be female to enter these competitions, but that isn't the case. They've been female since birth, but their bodies are genetically predisposed to help them in the sport they're competing in. Which the same argument could probably be applied to most Olympians.

The only reason this issue is being raised is because Carini stopped her match against Khalif early. People assumed it was because she didn't want to compete against "a man".

But the reality is (according to her post game comment), that one of the early punches broke her nose, apparently caused her tremendous pain, and rather than risk further injury, she decided to drop out. She wanted to fight Khalef. She wouldn't have entered the ring with her if she didn't.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
As far as the women thing the article i read did not include her opponents comments and didn't mention anything other than the test coming back incorrect.

Yeah from what you guys are saying its a made up outrage for the sake of having something to complain about. As all you have said they were born this way so there is no reason for anyone to complain.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
As far as the women thing the article i read did not include her opponents comments and didn't mention anything other than the test coming back incorrect.

Yeah from what you guys are saying it’s a made up outrage for the sake of having something to complain about. As all you have said they were born this way so there is no reason for anyone to complain.

Case in point:

1722535495414.png

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Bikes floor routine to win the Gold was wow! She is phenomenal.

Not a fan of IOC allowing the Algerian boxer to fight in a women’s weight class.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Again thats just people bitching to bitch. You're right thats no different than wanting Phelps or Biles banned because they are so much better than everyone else.

Frankly I find it more concerning that you can basically play for any country you want.
eh yes and no on the last point. Let's take swimming as an example. If it were the best (insert number here) in the world that qualified for a given event were automatically entered regardless of nationality that would be one thing, but that's not the case: it's typically 2 per event per country for men's and women's, aside from freestyle which is the 6 best since the relays are a thing in the 100 and 200M. It's quite conceivable that someone that's one of literally the 10 best in the world at say the 100M backstroke would have had no chance in hell at making the US Olympic team. I have no problem if said athlete wants to go through the whole process of switching to representing say USVI or Ireland if they're legally capable of being a passport holder for those countries so that they can compete rather than being an inevitable "also ran" at their countries qualifications knowing they won't beat a Michael Phelps or Ryan Lochte to get into the top 2.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
eh yes and no on the last point. Let's take swimming as an example. If it were the best (insert number here) in the world that qualified for a given event were automatically entered regardless of nationality that would be one thing, but that's not the case: it's typically 2 per event per country for men's and women's, aside from freestyle which is the 6 best since the relays are a thing in the 100 and 200M. It's quite conceivable that someone that's one of literally the 10 best in the world at say the 100M backstroke would have had no chance in hell at making the US Olympic team. I have no problem if said athlete wants to go through the whole process of switching to representing say USVI or Ireland if they're legally capable of being a passport holder for those countries so that they can compete rather than being an inevitable "also ran" at their countries qualifications knowing they won't beat a Michael Phelps or Ryan Lochte to get into the top 2.
Or like how Chiles was the 3rd best qualifier for the all-around, but beaten by teammates Biles & Lee so the potentially 3rd best in the world doesn't get to compete. It's an unfortunate side affect of being a huge first-world country with lots of talented athletes. But honestly, it's probably a bigger deal for the one like Danish swimmer to get 10th in the Olympics than the 3rd best American swimmer coming in 10th way behind Phelps/Lochte types. It's about the best on the world-stage competing, which means you sometimes have to have some sort of "parity" implementation to give more wide-spread representation and avoid a few big countries just getting all the entries, even if they are the true "best"

Reactions: Chrispy and DaveG

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
Whole lot of people on twitter acting as though a boxer has never been punched in the face and had their nose broken before

Anyway congratulations to historic Olympians Simone Biles and Katie Ledecky!

Reactions: SlavinAway

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Again thats just people bitching to bitch. You're right thats no different than wanting Phelps or Biles banned because they are so much better than everyone else.

Frankly I find it more concerning that you can basically play for any country you want.
That's not the same, inherent biological advantages in combat sports is dangerous.

You have doping testing for reasons, this is the weirdest case since it's of no choice to this person, but on the other hand they failed doping testing and disqualified from other events due to higher than permitted testosterone.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1