OT: 2024 Olympics: Member when they were amateurs?

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Congrats to Cook & Bacon (they deserved a medal for best pairs names alone) who won the USAs first medal. But did anyone else notice that their swimsuits are basically thongs in the back? They go so far up the buttcrack that I can't imagine how it wouldn't be so uncomfortable as to not affect performance. I say that never having worn a thong, so maybe some of the women on here can enlighten me if I'm off base. [or men, no judgement here]

I wish I could get a screenshot of the pair directly from the back like they showed on tv but the pic below at least gives an idea of what I'm talking about; the dark haired girl's was probably an even more extreme wedgie.

1722141362019.png

edit: an even better example. OUCH!

1722196847621.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DaveG

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Congrats to Cook & Bacon (they deserved a medal for best pairs names alone) who won the USAs first medal. But did anyone else notice that their swimsuits are basically thongs in the back? They go so far up the buttcrack that I can't imagine how it wouldn't be so uncomfortable as to not affect performance. I say that never having worn a thong, so maybe some of the women on here can enlighten me if I'm off base. [or men, no judgement here]

I wish I could get a screenshot of the pair directly from the back like they showed on tv but the pic below at least gives an idea of what I'm talking about; the dark haired girl's was probably an even more extreme wedgie.

View attachment 897477

It's ridiculous. Remember when a women's beach volleyball team was sacntioned and threatened with fines (at least) when they complained about the stupid bikinis they have to wear?

Well they wouldn’t do it now.

Not the murdered ones, no.

MustardStew

Lurking Lurker
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2003
Hillsborough, NC
It's ridiculous. Remember when a women's beach volleyball team was sacntioned and threatened with fines (at least) when they complained about the stupid bikinis they have to wear?

I was pleasantly surprised that they weren't wearing bikinis the other day! Yesterday?

I mean, yay bikinis! But at least they maybe don't have to now?

Reactions: geehaad

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

View attachment 897477
My wife and I wondered the same. She was thinking it was done to maximize hip movement, but I can’t figure out how that seemed like the optimal outfit.

Wasn’t just the US team either, that style was pretty universal in that diving competition.

Reactions: DaveG and LakeLivin

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
My wife and I wondered the same. She was thinking it was done to maximize hip movement, but I can’t figure out how that seemed like the optimal outfit.

Wasn’t just the US team either, that style was pretty universal in that diving competition.

If I'd a known that I might have watched more of the competition. :sarcasm: As it was I only saw the highlights of the American pair.

But seriously, I looked up "olympic wedgies" and they had some detailed info on the women's gymnastics suits. Seems like many have to use "butt glue" to keep those in place. I'm guessing the divers want to present as sleek an image as possible, which a suit coming up over the hips presumably does. Maybe getting used to a strip of fabric all the way up your butt crack is better than gluing your suit to your ass (if that even works in the water?)

Very entertaining USA - Serbia basketball game on right now. Serbia jumped out to a 10-2 lead but then Kevin Durant, in his first game back off an injury, went 8-8 from the field (5-5 from three) for 21 pts in the first half. USA by 9 at the half.

skipnjump

Apr 6, 2019
NC
I admit that I'm not a fan of wearing a thong, but I guess it beats being caught on camera pulling your suit out of your crack

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Too bad nadal is hurt because this could have been a pretty epic match in the Olympics. Instead Joker is running away with it

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Looking back, probably the last Olympics I really gave a poop about was Barcelona 1992. And even that was because I had a summer job at an art museum selling six tickets a day, so I basically just watched the Games and MTV from a snazzy Bang & Olufsen intended for video art.
1996 Atlanta for me. The girls gymnastics team and Michael Johnson's sprint performances were both amazing, and it was the first big international soccer tournament I could easily find on TV after the 94 World Cup.

I never understood why Richard Jewell did what he did in Atlanta in 1995. But after seeing the opening ceremony last night it is all so clear...

😁
Had a conversation about him with a younger co-worker the other day part of a discussion about media bias / shoddy police investigation / leaking incomplete info / jumping to conclusions can totally warp our perception of truth ... you know Richard Jewell didn't do it, right? And that Eric Rudolph is in the Colorado SuperMax for that bombing and multiple FBI agents got punished for misconduct? One person died that day, but a second had his life ruined despite doing the right thing

One thing that will continually piss me the f*** off about any "judged" olympic game/sport, is that "reputation" seems to be an automatic bonus to score. Case in point the Chinese diving team...they just had a dive way out of sync, entered the water at different times and locations, and yet it was worth 10 more points than the next 2 teams who did the same dive WAY better
But "according to the Russian judge ..." is such an easy joke.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Getting further in Ladies Doubles in Tennis is great.

But doing so by beating Ruzzkiez?

Fokken’ delightful.

1996 Atlanta for me. The girls gymnastics team and Michael Johnson's sprint performances were both amazing, and it was the first big international soccer tournament I could easily find on TV after the 94 World Cup.

Had a conversation about him with a younger co-worker the other day part of a discussion about media bias / shoddy police investigation / leaking incomplete info / jumping to conclusions can totally warp our perception of truth ... you know Richard Jewell didn't do it, right? And that Eric Rudolph is in the Colorado SuperMax for that bombing and multiple FBI agents got punished for misconduct? One person died that day, but a second had his life ruined despite doing the right thing

Richard Jewell deseved better…

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
any sport that is judged has been mostly dead to me since 1988. i can watch and appreciate the skill, but the results are just whatever. the 'russian judge' thing was always a thing, but even as a kid i got that. it made sense in a weird way. but learning that judges could be bought completely disillusioned young TBD - if jesus comes back and tells me roy jones jr lost, i'll tell jesus he cray.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
any sport that is judged has been mostly dead to me since 1988. i can watch and appreciate the skill, but the results are just whatever. the 'russian judge' thing was always a thing, but even as a kid i got that. it made sense in a weird way. but learning that judges could be bought completely disillusioned young TBD - if jesus comes back and tells me roy jones jr lost, i'll tell jesus he cray.
Funny that I knew what you meant as soon as I read "1988" ... didn't even need to get to the last line. Roy Jones Jr winning the silver medal at Seoul 88 was brutal. When the "winner" looks as confused as Park Si-hun did that day ...

Last edited:

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

Yes, I was making a joke

Reactions: DaveG and ck26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad