OT: 2024 Olympics: Member when they were amateurs?

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
1722050503828.png

Q: how the hell did Snoop Dog become mainstream?

Last edited:

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
I weep for the loss of youthful enthusiasm I had during 2012 London Olympics.
Looking back, probably the last Olympics I really gave a poop about was Barcelona 1992. And even that was because I had a summer job at an art museum selling six tickets a day, so I basically just watched the Games and MTV from a snazzy Bang & Olufsen intended for video art.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Q: how the hell did Snoop Dog become mainstream?
Probably when Martha Stewart went to jail was the genesis of the transformation. Shortly after Martha Stewart got out of jail and she and Snoop became friends and started appearing together.

What better way to make a black, ex-gang member rapper like snoop more acceptable to mainstream America than to hook him up with Martha Stewart?

Instead of people looking at him as the gang banger hard core rapper, he starts performing on songs with Willie Nelson, Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, John Legend, Mariah Carey, and people started looking at him as a funny, easy going pot head and he starts getting main stream commercials as well.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The opening ceremony was stupid. Definitely the worst i can ever remember watching. The dancers being on strike made what was already bad, worse. It felt like a bad movie where they try to shove 10 plots into 1 show with no flow.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The opening ceremony was stupid. Definitely the worst i can ever remember watching. The dancers being on strike made what was already bad, worse. It felt like a bad movie where they try to shove 10 plots into 1 show with no flow.

I didn’t watch the opening ceremony, but I did see that they included a segment that was an homage to Dionysus, the Greek god of wine (among other things), which I thought was a cool way to meld the Greek aspect of the Olympics with the host country.

I also saw a bunch of Christians got offended because they thought it was relating to the Last Supper.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017

I didn’t watch the opening ceremony, but I did see that they included a segment that was an homage to Dionysus, the Greek god of wine (among other things), which I thought was a cool way to meld the Greek aspect of the Olympics with the host country.

I also saw a bunch of Christians got offended because they thought it was relating to the Last Supper.

We there definitely was drag last supper scene. Outside of that this weird mysterious character running around paris on buildings, the myriad other scenes involving that character, and the very rushed country introductions was poor. Nothing fit, nothing but the river flowed, and you could only ask yourself wtf am i watching.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Yes. Not much room for debate when the progressive The Gnauriad acknowledges it for what it was.

View attachment 897421
Im i personally don’t care about a mocking of the church, doing it at the Olympics is in poor taste. But even then that scene was just one of the many out of place scenes in this ceremony. France shouldn’t have a ceremony taking shots at people when they haven’t been able to back up their words in over 2 centuries.

• Haha
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
We there definitely was drag last supper scene. Outside of that this weird mysterious character running around paris on buildings, the myriad other scenes involving that character, and the very rushed country introductions was poor. Nothing fit, nothing but the river flowed, and you could only ask yourself wtf am i watching.

I believe according to the program, that drag Last Supper is the Dionysus homage I was referring to.

Because why the hell would there be a Last Supper part in the Olympics?

Reactions: cptjeff

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Im i personally don’t care about a mocking of the church, doing it at the Olympics is in poor taste. But even then that scene was just one of the many out of place scenes in this ceremony. France shouldn’t have a ceremony taking shots at people when they haven’t been able to back up their words in over 2 centuries.
I think it actually was quite nicery framed in that news piece. The opening ceremony mirrors the host country, and France kind of has made the revolution and provocation their thing. So it was very much a provocation for the sake of provocation.

I believe according to the program, that drag Last Supper is the Dionysus homage I was referring to.

Because why the hell would there be a Last Supper part in the Olympics?
See above. It's the goddamn French. Choosing to aim the religious provocation stunt specifically at the Christians has the benefit that it doesn't get the French cities lit up during the Olympics while still subtly reminding of that Charlie Hebdo thing.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think it actually was quite nicery framed in that news piece. The opening ceremony mirrors the host country, and France kind of has made the revolution and provocation their thing. So it was very much a provocation for the sake of provocation.

See above. It's the goddamn French. Choosing to aim the religious provocation stunt specifically at the Christians has the benefit that it doesn't get the French cities lit up during the Olympics while still subtly reminding of that Charlie Hebdo thing.

Like I said, I didn't watch the ceremony, but if you asked me if I thought that blue guy looked more like a depiction of Jesus or Dionysus, I'd go with the latter.

Reactions: cptjeff

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
A little thing, but it made me curious. When Ariarn Titmus (nice!) just won the 400m freestyle I was surprised to see that she had small gold hoop earrings just peeking out from under her swim cap. Given that swim races are sometimes won by hundreds of a second, I was surprised she wouldn't eliminate anything that might contribute to drag, no matter how small. I'm guessing they shouldn't have been exposed at all and maybe the cap slipped a bit during the race? I'm kind of surprised elite swimmers don't shave their eyebrows, lol.

A lot of finals in different sports today which implies that competition must have started before the official opening of the games. Anyone know when they actually started?

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
A little thing, but it made me curious. When Ariarn Titmus (nice!) just won the 400m freestyle I was surprised to see that she had small gold hoop earrings just peeking out from under her swim cap. Given that swim races are sometimes won by hundreds of a second, I was surprised she wouldn't eliminate anything that might contribute to drag, no matter how small. I'm guessing they shouldn't have been exposed at all and maybe the cap slipped a bit during the race? I'm kind of surprised elite swimmers don't shave their eyebrows, lol.

A lot of finals in different sports today which implies that competition must have started before the official opening of the games. Anyone know when they actually started?
The US men's soccer team players their first game on the 24th, which I believe was the first day the games actually started

Reactions: DaveG

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
The only redeeming thing about the whole awkward, disjointed, odd Opening Ceremony (I genuinely wasn't sure if it was a drag show or just a weird French fashion show on the bridge) was Gojira f***ing killing it...and I'm not even a Gojira fan, but sporting events are long overdue for some metal acts vs shitty pop/rap "artists"

Last edited:

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
ever notice a different religion doesn't get made fun of ever?

Reactions: ck26 and DaveG

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Again, it wasn't about Christianity. The program had it as the Feast of Dionysus, the Greek god of wine, parties, etc. While I can see why some scenes may have been confused as The Last Supper, last time I checked, Jesus wasn't crowned with grapes and served on a silver platter. And I'm pretty sure he had 12 disciples, not 20+.

1722124061282.png

It's easier to get offended than to find out actual answers, I guess. Although I did get a laugh about the extremely religious folks believing this was a cannibalism ritual.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Again, it wasn't about Christianity. The program had it as the Feast of Dionysus, the Greek god of wine, parties, etc. While I can see why some scenes may have been confused as The Last Supper, last time I checked, Jesus wasn't crowned with grapes and served on a silver platter. And I'm pretty sure he had 12 disciples, not 20+.

View attachment 897455

It's easier to get offended than to find out actual answers, I guess. Although I did get a laugh about the extremely religious folks believing this was a cannibalism ritual.
Or someone is accusing other people of not finding actual answers when it is them that isn’t.

It has been confirmed as a drag rendition of the last supper. That one part was the Dionysus but the drag queens did their last supper rendition in addition to it. The guy who put it on didn’t deny that it was a portrayal of the last supper although it wasn’t “meant to mock.”

Last edited:

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I never understood why Richard Jewell did what he did in Atlanta in 1995. But after seeing the opening ceremony last night it is all so clear...

😁

• Haha

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
One thing that will continually piss me the f*** off about any "judged" olympic game/sport, is that "reputation" seems to be an automatic bonus to score. Case in point the Chinese diving team...they just had a dive way out of sync, entered the water at different times and locations, and yet it was worth 10 more points than the next 2 teams who did the same dive WAY better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad