Speculation: 2024 Offseason Talk

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
These deals still blow me away, which isn't being helped by seeing what superior defenders have been going for.

I can deal with the Dumba one even though I hate his face, but three years for healthy knee Hakanpaa blows me away. Nill/PDB better pray he finds some nice chem with Miro, if that is their plan.

Reactions: piqued and LT

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
This might be some of the largest roster turnover we have had, at least that I can recall.

Out-
Wedgewood
Tanev
Jani
Pavs
Faksa
Ty D

6 players out of 20, or 30% of the roster. With an average career span of about 4.5 years, you would expect 22.5% turnover in an average year, and last year it was less, with 3 off-season acquisitions.

Anything can happen with that amount of turnover.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
This might be some of the largest roster turnover we have had, at least that I can recall.

Out-
Wedgewood
Tanev
Jani
Pavs
Faksa
Ty D

6 players out of 20, or 30% of the roster. With an average career span of about 4.5 years, you would expect 22.5% turnover in an average year, and last year it was less, with 3 off-season acquisitions.

Main core is still together at least. Only one that really stings is Tanev. Pavs will be missed too, but his tank is empty.

Reactions: Dallasman and LT

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Out-
Wedgewood
Tanev
Jani
Pavs
Faksa
Ty D

Roster churn is so sneaky. This is a big season for it, but every season churns multiple names. Here's the list of guys from the Stars bubble Cup run season who are no longer here. Also note how many are also out of the league.

I organized them into a loose lineup to highlight how we're talking a full roster of dudes.

Kiviranta-Pavelski-Radulov
Perry-Janmark-Dickinson
Cogliano-Comeau-Gurianov
Dowling-Faksa-Caamano

Klingberg-Oleksiak
Hanley-Sekera
Polak-Johns
Fedun

Khudobin
Bishop

It's crazy. There are only six guys from that team who are still around: Benn, Seguin, Hintz, Miro, Lindell, and Oettinger. Maybe seven if you want to count Robertson for his three games and taxi squad status.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Harley was also there. Played a game in the bubble. Polak was not by the way. He didn't return for the bubble and then stayed home for the rest of his career.

northstars

May 11, 2016
Saskatchewan
Roster churn is so sneaky. This is a big season for it, but every season churns multiple names. Here's the list of guys from the Stars bubble Cup run season who are no longer here. Also note how many are also out of the league.

I organized them into a loose lineup to highlight how we're talking a full roster of dudes.

Kiviranta-Pavelski-Radulov
Perry-Janmark-Dickinson
Cogliano-Comeau-Gurianov
Dowling-Faksa-Caamano

Klingberg-Oleksiak
Hanley-Sekera
Polak-Johns
Fedun

Khudobin
Bishop

It's crazy. There are only six guys from that team who are still around: Benn, Seguin, Hintz, Miro, Lindell, and Oettinger. Maybe seven if you want to count Robertson for his three games and taxi squad status.
Just highlights the NHL is young man's game. The Pavs of the world are clearly the exception.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Robertson-Hintz-Bourque
Benn-Johnston-Stankoven
Marchment-Duchene-Seguin
Blackwell-Steel-Dadonov

Heiskanen-Lybushkin
Harley-Dumba
Lindell-Lundkvist

Oettinger
DeSmith

I’m ok with this roster. Still should be a competitive team. We will have some cap room as well if we want to make a trade for the playoffs.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
This is funny. I really hope yall wrong and its only 2 years for lyubskhin. I dont even want to learn his name so sorry if its wrong.
If the move really is seen as Lyubushkin for Suter, check out the cap numbers.

Had the Stars kept Suter:
2024-25 $3.65 million
2024-25 zero
2024-25 zero

After the buyout + adding Lyubushkin:
2024-25 $0.783 + $3.25 = $4.033 million
2025-26 $1.433 + $3.25 = $4.683 million
2026-27 zero + $3.25 = $3.25 million

So the Stars changed our their #5 d-man by making the position more expensive and commiting to this guy longer term. This really highlights two things: (1) how much the Stars were eager to pay Suter to go away and (2) how they thought they'd use some of his immediate cap savings to either sign Tanev or find a similar quality replacement.

I also really hope being on a team with better overall team defense and goaltending helps Lyubushkin rebound to the guy he was a couple of seasons ago when he was a quality depth defender.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
If the move really is seen as Lyubushkin for Suter, check out the cap numbers.

Had the Stars kept Suter:
2024-25 $3.65 million
2024-25 zero
2024-25 zero

After the buyout + adding Lyubushkin:
2024-25 $0.783 + $3.25 = $4.033 million
2025-26 $1.433 + $3.25 = $4.683 million
2026-27 zero + $3.25 = $3.25 million

So the Stars changed our their #5 d-man by making the position more expensive and commiting to this guy longer term. This really highlights two things: (1) how much the Stars were eager to pay Suter to go away and (2) how they thought they'd use some of his immediate cap savings to either sign Tanev or find a similar quality replacement.

I also really hope being on a team with better overall team defense and goaltending helps Lyubushkin rebound to the guy he was a couple of seasons ago when he was a quality depth defender.
Looked like he did fine when he was traded back to TML at the deadline. 3 assist and a +4 in 7 playoff games.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I just feel like its so inexplicable how bad those deals are. If I had a time machine to make modest changes:

Ghost at his deal instead of Dumba
Lybushkin at 2x2
Sign Harley 5 x 6
Still have 2 to 2.5ish mil to add at the deadline

Reactions: starsfan86

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
I think these playoffs increased the price of defensemen that provide physicality. Additionally, we were probably the playoff team that needed more physicality the most.

Looks like a bit of an over-correction, but I am willing to see how it all plays out and I trust that issues the team has will be addressed by the deadline.

Reactions: eartotheground

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
I just feel like its so inexplicable how bad those deals are. If I had a time machine to make modest changes:

Ghost at his deal instead of Dumba
Lybushkin at 2x2
Sign Harley 5 x 6
Still have 2 to 2.5ish mil to add at the deadline
Yeah I wish the term and money for Bush was lower, it is what it is.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
I actually really like the Lyubushkin addition, I think him and Miro will suit eachother really well.

I just hate the contract.

Same with Dumba, if his contract wasn't so ugly I'd be excited to see what he could add to the backend in this system. Big shot, moves well, and adds physicality that we desperately need.

But we live in a world where contracts matter and they just plain suck.

joshik

GEt FaK'sEd
Jul 1, 2017
Czech Republic
Robertson-Hintz-Bourque
Benn-Johnston-Stankoven
Marchment-Duchene-Seguin
Blackwell-Steel-Dadonov

Heiskanen-Lybushkin
Harley-Dumba
Lindell-Lundkvist

Oettinger
DeSmith

I’m ok with this roster. Still should be a competitive team. We will have some cap room as well if we want to make a trade for the playoffs.
Having just one of dumba/lybu is awful but both 💀 Lindell should be in top4 and Harley with Miro is way better even though they are both LD

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Wait, are they actually planning on playing Lyubushkin with Miro on the top pair? Seems insane
Played with Reilly in Toronto. Why not give it a try and put Miro back on the left.

Having just one of dumba/lybu is awful but both 💀 Lindell should be in top4 and Harley with Miro is way better even though they are both LD
Lol ok

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad