Speculation: 2024 Off-Season Thread

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I wonder why none of the journalists ever ask these kind of questions to Cooper. Like "the coaching staff said at the beginning of the season that it changed its approach to the defensive system. Now that the season is over, what are your takeaways on the current system compared to the previous one.

And why did this system sucked ass."
Our media crew has to be one of the softest in the league.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I wonder why none of the journalists ever ask these kind of questions to Cooper. Like "the coaching staff said at the beginning of the season that it changed its approach to the defensive system. Now that the season is over, what are your takeaways on the current system compared to the previous one.

And why did this system sucked ass."
I'm not knocking the local journalists, but they'd be a little out of their depth if they got detailed like that.

Tactics really aren't anything special. You need to have them, but we could win with a 1-2-2 forecheck or a 1-1-3, or a man defense or a zone defense. Take your pick. There's only six guys on the ice.

It's about getting the guys to buy in and perform at their best.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
So the two spots where the defense sucks the most, in the neutral zone and our zone is Blashill and Zettler's fault. I am good with that.
Add Zettler to the list of assistants needing a new zip code then.

Either way, Blashill's track record isn't stellar (and it's not like we have this fully stocked roster anymore for him to work with) and what I've seen reported more so is that Blashill was key in making the defensive scheme change. Maybe once he helped get it shuttled in, he dropped it in Zettler's lap for defenseman.

It was not a good preview this year.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I do think that the 1-1-3 seems to encourage the team to play neutral zone d, over getting the puck back in the offensive zone.

You have to ask what the purpose of the forecheck is. Is the idea to create turnovers, or is the idea to mitigate risk?

Last edited:

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Blashill took over the defensive side of the team and its been reported he took over structures and defensive game plans (moving to the zone defense from man). LaLonde focused on that when he was on the Lightning staff. Reportedly the system was changed based on the size of the roster which got smaller and maybe it's simply growing pains in adapting, but it didn't look like it improved tremendously during second half of the season or playoff stint except Vasilevskiy started returning to form. Blashill also didn't have the best track record in Detroit and defense was his focus as well both at NHL level and at Grand Rapids - what defenseman has Detroit really developed out of that system when he was running things? Why didn’t Detroit improve defensively year to year under him yet still remained closer to bottom of the league in team defense.

The whole team has struggled to adapt and maybe they'll have it down better starting next season. At least Vasilevskiy won't be dealing with his injury/back surgery and can help bail out the defensive lapses so it will mask it more (hopefully). I don’t know, but it doesn't inspire confidence, particularly with the "depth" we have due to cap crunch. And can definitely help explain Perbix's step backwards in his "sophomore" slump - maybe he gets more comfortable with the new system and takes steps forward, or maybe it was Perbix just hitting a wall regardless of system (and it's more he was playing above his expected level last year).

The poor defensive play of the team coincided with the changes although of course that has to do with roster makeup as well (and Vasilevskiy recovering).

But it wasn’t fun to watch, and Blashill was shown the door in Detroit for a reason (although being given plenty of time to fix things).
Damn! 18yrs on this site and only 809 posts. That's awesome lol

Reactions: CupsOverCash

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
Ok then we agree he's overpaid. Plus half the league's 2Cs are having 50+% D-zone starts, and Cirelli is underperforming at least them. How much he's overpaid and is underperforming is debatable. So anyone thinking we're going to get a haul for him has their head in the clouds.

And why we would unload one of our better defensive players when our team defense is shit makes no sense to me.
How many 2C's have the highest PK time on their team, and lowest PP time of any 2C...not to mention him playing against every top teams line every night

NJBolt

May 1, 2024
Just feels like the Lightning are at the Post-Cup Blackhawks, Penguins, Capitals phase of their existence. Good solid team but not going to be able to hang with the top 3-4 teams in the League in a 7 games series.

Too many good pieces to tear down but not likely enough to win a Cup.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Think they resign stammer, maybe even hedman. I just saw Cooper got an extension. Could see a motivated group next year but the cap is still a issue. Right blend of guys but not easy to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peacefool

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
stamkos will probably play like 4 more years and he’ll want like 8 mil so just flip that and give him 4 mil for 8 years and maybe we can build something

Reactions: Peacefool and JoVel

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Just feels like the Lightning are at the Post-Cup Blackhawks, Penguins, Capitals phase of their existence. Good solid team but not going to be able to hang with the top 3-4 teams in the League in a 7 games series.

Ultimately the salary cap dethroned this team, the cap remains undefeated. I've mentioned before that I think a team should be able to get cap relief for players that a franchise drafts. I know we have the RFA system with draft pick compensation but it's rarely even used. I just think that if you draft well and create a team as strong as this team was, a team should have to dethrone you, not an arbitrary spending allowance.

McDonagh, Palat, Killer, Goodrow, Coleman, and Savard (and I'm sure I'm forgetting people) is a lot to lose. When a juggernaut like we were is created, every other team knows "it's cool, the salary cap will break that up pretty soon". From that perspective the entire purpose of competition is lost.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Ultimately the salary cap dethroned this team, the cap remains undefeated. I've mentioned before that I think a team should be able to get cap relief for players that a franchise drafts. I know we have the RFA system with draft pick compensation but it's rarely even used. I just think that if you draft well and create a team as strong as this team was, a team should have to dethrone you, not an arbitrary spending allowance.

McDonagh, Palat, Killer, Goodrow, Coleman, and Savard (and I'm sure I'm forgetting people) is a lot to lose. When a juggernaut like we were is created, every other team knows "it's cool, the salary cap will break that up pretty soon". From that perspective the entire purpose of competition is lost.
Depending on how much cap relief they get, this could make for a more boring league. Fewer trades, and longer periods of both success and futility.

Also, more coaching changes.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Depending on how much cap relief they get, this could make for a more boring league. Fewer trades, and longer periods of both success and futility.

Also, more coaching changes.
But it places greater emphasis on drafting, which, IMO, is the more respectable way to build a team. As it stands now, drafting well (especially to the degree that we did) is just penalizing your franchise in the future. We built a legendary team only to see it fall apart because we couldn't afford adequate depth behind our stars.

If you don't win Cups, it keeps the value of your players down. But you aren't winning Cups. If you do win, it jacks up their value and now you can't keep them. In the end the only real winner are the other teams in the league that don't have to find a way to defeat you, the cap does it for them.

There are numerous ways for a team to improve, there should never be a system in place that destroys a team. That's pretty much the foundation of my thought process. If your team sucks it should be because of bad decisions you made, not correct decisions that, later on, gut most of the roster.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Would you guys be interested in Hronek for Cirelli swap?

Hronek is 26, put up 48 points, is RHD, feisty player. He won’t carry a pairing, but he eats a ton of minutes and works best with an offensive partner. He would be terrific with either Hedman or Sergachev.

Hronek rejected our $6M offer. Likely accepts less in a no tax state.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I think one of the more underrated things about the Yzerman era was, because we had a constant pipeline of youth and picks, we could always improve the team one way or another. The biggest part of our decline right now is we are out of assets. So we are just stuck being "kinda okay" through the next season or two, unless JBB can pull off something crazy.

Reactions: OffBy1 and PJ817

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
But it places greater emphasis on drafting, which, IMO, is the more respectable way to build a team. As it stands now, drafting well (especially to the degree that we did) is just penalizing your franchise in the future. We built a legendary team only to see it fall apart because we couldn't afford adequate depth behind our stars.

If you don't win Cups, it keeps the value of your players down. But you aren't winning Cups. If you do win, it jacks up their value and now you can't keep them. In the end the only real winner are the other teams in the league that don't have to find a way to defeat you, the cap does it for them.

There are numerous ways for a team to improve, there should never be a system in place that destroys a team. That's pretty much the foundation of my thought process. If your team sucks it should be because of bad decisions you made, not correct decisions that, later on, gut most of the roster.
It depends on the specifics, but draft picks become much more valuable, which means fewer overall deals.

Teams that haven't done anything are already eagerly signing guys to 8 year deals. Giving them additional cap relief incentivizes those types of unmovable contracts. It also makes UFAs and undrafted players less valuable, which incentivizes long deals before they can reach free agency.

More guys are tied up with long contracts, having less value with another team. Fewer trades.

Draft strategy could also change. It's not just about taking the best player available, but where you can get best value. Probably offense, since that's what gets paid.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL

Hronek is 26, put up 48 points, is RHD, feisty player. He won’t carry a pairing, but he eats a ton of minutes and works best with an offensive partner. He would be terrific with either Hedman or Sergachev.

I might have to think more about it to be sure but my first take is I would be interested.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Next to the presumptive Norris winner. The stat line is appealing but can he anchor a pairing? I honestly haven’t seen enough Canucks games to know, but the word on him before he went to Vancouver is that he was an offensive defenseman and we really need a guy who can shut down top tier forwards.

Obviously if it’s between him and Perbix I’ll take him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad