Patriots/NFL 2024 Off Season: Free Agency, Draft Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
So pats and browns had deals in place with the 49ers, but couldn’t come to terms contractually with Aiyuk.

Kraft being too cheap again?
Well, DJ Moore just got 4 x $110mil with $83mil guaranteed and I'm guessing Aiyuk is probably looking for a similar deal.

.....even though DJ Moore had a better season last year, on a shittier team, with Justin Fields as his QB.

Would you give Aiyuk that deal?

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Well, DJ Moore just got 4 x $110mil with $83mil guaranteed and I'm guessing Aiyuk is probably looking for a similar deal.

.....even though DJ Moore had a better season last year, on a shittier team, with Justin Fields as his QB.

I would.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
So pats and browns had deals in place with the 49ers, but couldn’t come to terms contractually with Aiyuk.

Kraft being too cheap again?

I don’t think this is a money issue. It’s a ‘Aiyuk wants to be in PIT, not NE’ issue. Some reporter already said Pats have offered the most money.

Reactions: KOZ37 and CDJ

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Can we take Deebo instead? Poor guy grew up a Pats fan. He wanted to be a Patriot. Was convinced he was getting drafted by us. And was severely disappointed when he wasn't.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Yes, I would.

I don’t think this is a money issue. It’s a ‘Aiyuk wants to be in PIT, not NE’ issue. Some reporter already said Pats have offered the most money.

Offered the most money between the browns and the Pats. However the browns are borderline an unrealistic destination because they can’t offer much money due to being 81 million over the cap for the 2025 season. otherwise the Browns would have to move mountains to fit aiyuk in.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Since I got to thinking about DJ Moore's new contract, I decided to go back and look at that Bears-Panthers trade from last year. As much as I hate the Bears, I think it has the potential to be the biggest fleecing of a team in NFL history. Even better than the Hershel Walker trade to Minnesota....

Bears give up the 2023 #1 Pick (Bryce Young) to Carolina and get.....

DJ Moore (Top 10 WR)
#10 Pick in 2023 (After a trade with Philly)--Darnell Wright (OT)
#56 Pick in 2023 (After a trade with Jax)--Tyrique Stevenson (CB)
#1 Pick in 2024--Caleb Williams (QB)
2nd Rd Pick in 2025 (Probably in the #33-38 range)

That's grand larceny...

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Since I got to thinking about DJ Moore's new contract, I decided to go back and look at that Bears-Panthers trade from last year. As much as I hate the Bears, I think it has the potential to be the biggest fleecing of a team in NFL history. Even better than the Hershel Walker trade to Minnesota....

DJ Moore (Top 10 WR)
#1 Pick in 2024--Caleb Williams QB

That's grand larceny...
I hope the Pats do the same if they have a pick in the top 3 and there is a team desperate for a QB.

Reactions: bbfan419

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

DJ Moore (Top 10 WR)
#1 Pick in 2024--Caleb Williams (QB)

That's grand larceny...

The Russell Wilson deal is up there too for the Seahawks

Reactions: RoccoF14

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
yeah, i doubt he's coming here now. that reads like he's calling his shot
Well in essence he is. No team is going to trade for him without meeting his contract demands.

I just don't agree with this at all. If it's not a money issue the best team is SF. He could sacrifice some money and reach a deal with the 49ers.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I guess we are assuming that is his preferred destination. He did supposedly want to go to Washington though.

The leaked trade being done to Pitt then all the sudden “it wasn’t true” only to be followed by more leaks that Cleveland and NE were close to a deal and then all the sudden Pitt is back in? It’s obvious he wants Pittsburgh but they didn’t offer enough.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I will reiterate that if the Patriots or Browns offer more money than Pittsburgh then he would want to go there. He would play on the moon for the most money. It's the compensation from Pittsburgh to SF that the Niners don't like. To me that means the Steelers are offering the same money as Patriots/Browns or more. If it wasn't all about money I am sure he could have reached a deal with the Niners to stay.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Also listen to how things are worded when talking contracts. It isn’t nearly as much about the AAV as it is about the guaranteed money.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
How often does it work out for a team when they overwhelm a player who doesn't actually want to play there with a massive contract?

Manny? Is that it? And even then they were willing to give him away for free at one point.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Can we take Deebo instead? Poor guy grew up a Pats fan. He wanted to be a Patriot. Was convinced he was getting drafted by us. And was severely disappointed when he wasn't.
Deebo is a $21 and then $16.6 mill base salary the next 2 seasons. No more guaranteed money after this season. SF would take $7 mill in dead cap for Deebo this season and another $15 mill in 2024.

Probably have to give Deebo a new contract in the off-season. So, still handing out a big contract either way realistically.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Not that this one is their fault, but Kraft absolutely needs to feel some heat from fans and the media for going into the season with $45m in cap space.

It's inexcusable

I think that cap space speaks more to how quickly things can fall off track.

This hasn't been an attractive location for several years now. The drafting has been poor, so players aren't getting extended, and those who do generally aren't stars making top dollar. When you look at free agency every year, the blue chip talent just isn't there, which just means there's not much to actually spend money on that will provide a positive impact to the team. Offering the most money doesn't always seal the deal. Players want the most money they can get, but it has to be from a preferred location. New England is no longer that.

Reactions: CDJ

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Oh well. Don't want someone who doesn't want to be here. That being said, if it isn't about the money why leave a winning team? Makes you wonder what really wants. Maybe just wants to play with his buddies for the most money he can get. Maybe we find we have a budding star receiver in our midst already.....never know.

Seems like a weird dude tbh

Reactions: KOZ37 and bbfan419

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Oh well. Don't want someone who doesn't want to be here. That being said, if it isn't about the money why leave a winning team? Makes you wonder what really wants. Maybe just wants to play with his buddies for the most money he can get. Maybe we find we have a budding star receiver in our midst already.....never know.
I still think it is about the money. If only all offers had to be made public. We don't know definitively that the Patriots were willing to give a better contract than Steelers/Browns. It just does not compute for Aiyuk to want out of a SB contender like SF because of a money dispute but then land on Pittsburgh as some great destination where he would take less money. It does not add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad